IGNORED

artifacting colors

andylama

Some games, notably the Ultima series, took advantage of the graphic artifacting to create colors in the otherwise monochrome games.

When playing Ultima on an Atari 800, you get green trees/grass and blue water; it looks appropriate. This same screen on an XL machine shows up as blue trees and red water--bizarre.

Is there any way to 'correct' the artifact colors on an XL machine (and I don't mean the TINT control on the TV set), or is this a hard-coded feature of the chipset? I'm not afraid to take a soldering iron to the motherboard...

Thanks

Is there any way to 'correct' the artifact colors on an XL machine (and I don't mean the TINT control on the TV set), or is this a hard-coded feature of the chipset?  I'm not afraid to take a soldering iron to the motherboard...

Sorry, it cannot be easily changed. It has to do with the alignment of the Chroma and Luma signals in each machine. Since the video output circuits are different in the 800 and XL, there is a slight phase difference between the two, and that changes the artifacts that are produced.

-Bry

Remember that "artifacting" means to produce a false chroma signal using alternating luminances. Therefore, the produced color signal has the phase of the luma signal, not the chroma signal. The colorburst reference phase is still generated by the chroma signal, so the difference in phase between the chroma and luma signals determines the artifact colors.