IGNORED

ColecoVision vs. Intellivision

We've all seen threads like "Atari 2600 vs. ColecoVision vs. Intellivison, and the like, but I can't say I've seen a strictly CV vs. INTV debate.

So which is your favorite, and why?

I have to go with the ColecoVision.

It looks futuristic, but still has the occasional childish games to toddle back to. The BC games, Campaign '84 and Zaxxon, among others, keep me entertained forever. Plus, it seems so much more nostalgic than the Intellivision.

Ciao!

hmmm... *thinks* ....."Colecovision vs. Intellivision" thats a tough one. Can't decide which one I'd wipe my ass with first.  :?   decisions decisions.
I think the INTV is rounder and smoother. Use it unless you like pain.
  • Like 1

That's the old "Japanese car v American car"  comparison.  Japanese cars are more expensive, therefore are superior.   :roll:

Weird...

When I was growing up, Japanese cars were cheaper and superior...

Even American car companies knew that. Remember the Dodge slogan, "Colt, the only Japanese you need to know." ;-)

er..

Oh yeah.. Colecovision, but the Inty gets points for being a 16bit CPU!!!

(Albeit the slowest 16bit CPU in Video Game history. :-) )

desiv

The intellivision was cool because of the disc controller but those side buttons were pretty bad. However being able to replace the controllers on the Coleco was a better idea (I think you could do this with an InTV 2 but I don't think that model was released in my part of the world)

I thought the ADAM was much better than the Intellivision Computer addon as well.

However I do seem to recall fonder memories playing Atlantis at the local department store than Turbo for some reason.

Well, I'm biased, the CV is tied for my fav conmsole of all time but I recently got an INTV and have been playing it a lot. I went out and bought a bunch of games people recommended and the games are pretty good.

The INTV is OK but that's about it. Even the games everyone raves about are merely OK to me. IMO, it's a videogame so it's fun but it never delivers the experience of a CV or the 2600 or 5200. The controllers are horrible but that's not even my big problem with it. The games just never seem to get exciting to me regartdless of what level I play.

Not even close. I sold my Intellivision collection about a year ago and no regrets at all. The controller is too hard to use and many of the games are on the 2600. On the other hand, the Colecovision has many unique games that play well. The only negative for the Colecovision in the Colecovision vs. Intellivision battle is that the Colecovision costs more to collect.

Nice auction! However, excluding the few late release rares, Intellivision stuff is very inexpensive to collect and games often can be found or bought boxed. The Colecovision has quite a few titles that are expensive and boxed or mint Colecovision games seem tough to find. My opinion.

I was just joking....colecovison cart in box is pretty expensive but I there are around 20 intellivisions game in box that is also pretty expensive. i,m only missing 3 complete in box intellivision game in order to have the complete collection complete in box.

spiker volleyball (last auction over 400$)

congo bongo (last auction seal over 275$)

stadium buggy (around 100$)

The Colecovision has quite a few titles that are expensive and boxed or mint Colecovision games seem tough to find. My opinion.

In all my years of collecting (since the 80's), I have only once come across boxed CV games "in the wild"... and it was only a couple of pretty common titles.

INTV on the other hand - boxes are everywhere...

The CV was the superior keypad-controller system by a large margin. . . Heck, if it wasn't for only having 16 colors, it'd be equal with the NES/SMS to me . . . And it has the only console ports of a bunch of great obscure games, one of the only good console-based edutainment titles ever, has an active homebrew scene, and if you want a game simply for playing, it is possible, although not exactly respectable, to obtain a fresh cart of any game. . .

INTV, on the other hand, the controllers are hideous, most of the games are super-ugly, and only a few (Diner, Thin Ice, Utopia, Shark Shark) are original and fun enough to hold up today, and it doesn't really have a support scene.

If you're looking to be a pure collector and keep the system and games in the box, though, the INTV would be easier to collect for.

Wouldn't buy it for the play, though . . .

Heck, if it wasn't for only having 16 colors, it'd be equal with the NES/SMS to me

Yep, some of the games look like early NES titles (just look at Smurf!), and given some more time, I bet it could have been a real contender. Kind of sad that it didn't come back after the crash, it had a lot of potential.

The two systems are SO different, and not just because they were released 4 years apart. I'd still pick the Colecovision, but the Colecovision never had a shooter that was as good as Astrosmash... and the INTV did actually get Pac-Man (and a sorta nice one, really) without having to wait 20 years for a prototype to surface. :D