Photo

Good Dreamcast emulator burning FAQs

12 replies to this topic

#1 crc_73 OFFLINE  

crc_73

Chopper Commander

• 170 posts

Posted Tue Nov 2, 2004 4:47 PM

Has anyone stumbled on any good information/docs on how to burn emulators for use on the DC?

I've tried all the usual searches through Google, but nothing is really any good (a few for Unix flavours look decent enough, but I'm running Win). The readme files included with anything I've downloaded are scant to say the least - all seem to assume a considerable amount of knowledge already.

I was trying to (I think I was trying anyway) to make a DreamSNES image yesterday using "mkisofr.exe" (or was it "mkisofs.exe" ?!), and it seemed like it was taking forever, from the command prompt, spewing loads of code, or text, and making a lot of noise from the internal speaker. Is this normal? I got sick of it, and stopped it, thinking I added too many ROMS (about 100MB worth), and when I tried with only one ROM, it was still taking forever.

Anyone have any helpful pointers? I was using MAME 6-odd years ago, and it was a sinch compared to this - and there were no FAQs for MAME back then.

Anyway, I'd appreciate *any* help.

#2 Gregory DG OFFLINE  

Gregory DG

TAT IS BACK!

• 10,936 posts
  • Go Cardinals!

Posted Tue Nov 2, 2004 4:56 PM

I use the SelfBoot Inducer. It's the best and you can have multiple emulators on one disc.

http://consolevision...members/sbiffy/

#3 Bruce Tomlin OFFLINE  

Bruce Tomlin

River Patroller

• 3,571 posts
  • CD C9 01

Posted Tue Nov 2, 2004 7:59 PM

Those using OS X can install mkisofs and cdrecord through fink. (apt-get install mkisofs; apt-get install cdrecord) You'll also need to find and compile makeip.

Here is an example of the kind of scripts I use to burn DC self-boots on OS X:
# source directory

SRC="dreamsnes-0.9.8/cd"

# destination directory

#DST="dreamsnes-AL"

DST="dreamsnes-MZ"

# ISO volume name

#VOL="DREAMSNES-AL"

VOL="DREAMSNES-MZ"

# IP.BIN location (leave empty to run makeip)

IP="dreamsnes-0.9.8/IP.BIN"

# cdrecord device name

DEV="IODVDServices/1"

# cdrecord options (-4 for speed 4X, gracetime=2 for sooner burn)

RECOPT="gracetime=2"

#RECOPT="-4 gracetime=2"

# mkisofs block offset (number comes from cdrecord -msinfo)

#OFS="11700"

OFS="11702"

echo "$ dd if=/dev/zero of=track1.dat bs=2352 count=300"

dd if=/dev/zero of=track1.dat bs=2352 count=300

if [ "$IP" == "" ]; then

makeip IP.TXT IP.BIN

IP="IP.BIN"

fi

if [ "$SRC" == "" ]; then

SRC="data"

fi

# mkdir $DST

echo "$ cp -pr $SRC/* $DST"

cp -pr $SRC/* $DST

echo "$ mkisofs -C 0,$OFS -V $VOL -l -o tmp.iso $DST"

mkisofs -C 0,$OFS -V $VOL -l -o tmp.iso $DST

#echo "$ ( cat $IP; dd if=tmp.iso bs=2048 skip=16 ) > data.raw"

#( cat $IP; dd if=tmp.iso bs=2048 skip=16 ) > data.raw

echo "$ ( cat $IP; dd if=tmp.iso bs=32768 skip=1 ) > data.raw"

( cat $IP; dd if=tmp.iso bs=32768 skip=1 ) > data.raw

echo "$ rm tmp.iso"

rm tmp.iso

echo "$ cdrecord dev=$DEV -eject"

cdrecord dev=$DEV -eject

echo ""

echo -n "Insert blank CD-R for $VOL and press RETURN: "

read foo

echo "$ cdrecord dev=$DEV -multi -audio $RECOPT track1.dat"

cdrecord dev=$DEV -multi -audio $RECOPT track1.dat

#echo "$ sudo umount /Volumes/Audio CD/"

#sudo umount /Volumes/Audio CD/

echo "$ cdrecord dev=$DEV -msinfo"

cdrecord dev=$DEV -msinfo

#echo "$ sudo umount /Volumes/Audio CD/"

#sudo umount /Volumes/Audio CD/

echo "$ cdrecord dev=$DEV -multi -xa1 $RECOPT -eject data.raw"

cdrecord dev=$DEV -multi -xa1 $RECOPT -eject data.raw

echo "$ rm data.raw"

rm data.raw
OFS should be set to whatever the output of "cdrecord -msinfo" is.

DEV should be IODVDServices if you have either a DVD burner or a "combo drive" that can burn CD-Rs but can read DVDs.

RECOPT can be used to set the burn speed and other cdrecord options

#4 crc_73 OFFLINE  

crc_73

Chopper Commander

• Topic Starter
  • 170 posts

Posted Wed Nov 3, 2004 5:16 AM

I use the SelfBoot Inducer. It's the best and you can have multiple emulators on one disc.

Thanks for the info. I've downloaded that, but haven't had a chance to get to use it yet though.

The tutorial looks harmless enough. When it creates the image for you, you just need to burn that one image to a CD-R, is this correct? I've seen info on other pages about first burning an audio file, then putting on a "bootstrap", and other convoluted instructions - gets a bit confusing.

I like the idea of multiple emulators on one CD. How does that work when you boot it up on the DC? Do you get a menu where you can select which emu you want to use, or can you switch and change between emus?

#5 Trooper OFFLINE  

Trooper

Dragonstomper

• 979 posts

Posted Wed Nov 3, 2004 3:25 PM

The tutorial looks harmless enough. When it creates the image for you, you just need to burn that one image to a CD-R, is this correct? I've seen info on other pages about first burning an audio file, then putting on a "bootstrap", and other convoluted instructions - gets a bit confusing.

Nope, no need for any of that, you just follow the tutorial, don't forget to put your emuroms in the right directory before creating the image though.

I like the idea of multiple emulators on one CD. How does that work when you boot it up on the DC? Do you get a menu where you can select which emu you want to use, or can you switch and change between emus?

When you use the Selfboot Inducer you get a menu where you choose first what kind of program (Apps, Games or Emus) And after that you get a menu with all the Emus that you have on the CD.
It's so easy to use and it has made emulation on the DC something for everyone and not just those of us who feel like fiddling for ages to get stuff to work.

/Troop

#6 crc_73 OFFLINE  

crc_73

Chopper Commander

• Topic Starter
  • 170 posts

Posted Thu Nov 4, 2004 8:39 AM

Yep, thanks for the info on SBInducer. It really is the business.

I managed to burn three disks yesterday, and all appeared well. I say appeared well, since I had the DC plugged into the TV Tuner on a GameGear.

I did notice some graphical glitch with the Miss Driller and Vendetta disks I burned, but the start-up screens were Ok. Would this be due to a PAL/NTSC problem (my DC is a PAL - are the SBI's configued for NTSC or PAL or does it matter?)?

I also tried to burn a DreamSNES, with about 100MB of ROMs, and threw them (unzipped) into a ROMs folder before letting SBInducer loose on it. It boots up Ok, but I reach a screen with two characters, and can break into what looks like a controller help section and credits, but no game list. Should that be on the screen where the 2 characters are? Should the ROMs be renamed to the 8+3 convention to make them work?

#7 crc_73 OFFLINE  

crc_73

Chopper Commander

• Topic Starter
  • 170 posts

Posted Thu Nov 4, 2004 8:56 AM

The other thing I should have mentioned was that I used Nero 6 to burn the image. Now I've heard that you should use pre version 6 to burn.

Do the images work at all if burned from Nero 6, or do they just work bad as I've described above? I guess the GG TV Tuner could be the problem also; I can check the burned disks again later on a proper TV later.

#8 xenomorpher OFFLINE  

xenomorpher

River Patroller

• 2,054 posts

Posted Thu Nov 4, 2004 9:52 AM

go to www.dcemulation.com and follow their tutorials. I would get Alcohol 120% because I had no trouble with it burning Nero and Discjuggler images. I use Selfboot and the add on they told be to get. I got the roms at www.coolrom.com and unzipped them and put them in the right folders. Then I burn them as slow as I can (4x) at RAW DAO which depending on how big it is, will take a fair amount of time.

#9 DracIsBack OFFLINE  

DracIsBack

River Patroller

• 4,563 posts

Posted Sun Jan 16, 2005 9:08 PM

Those using OS X can install mkisofs and cdrecord through fink.  (apt-get install mkisofs; apt-get install cdrecord)  You'll also need to find and compile makeip.

Gotta confess ... you have some pretty awesome dev skills Bruce, but there are those of us who want to play homebrew DC games and don't know the first thing about things like:

" install mkisofs and cdrecord"
"apt-get install mkisofs; apt-get install cdrecord"
"ind and compile makeip"

Today, I took another look at some of the DC homebrew sites and was saddened to see that there didn't seem to be tools for making DC discs for the non-techie. Everything assumed you knew about formats, unix command lines etc etc etc.

I'd just love if someone would make a Mac OS X Dreamcast Homebrew utility that had a couple of features.

1. An actual Window (no command lines found).
2. A "Make self-booting Dreamcast disc" checkbox
3. Add files to play on disc.

#10 crc_73 OFFLINE  

crc_73

Chopper Commander

• Topic Starter
  • 170 posts

Posted Tue Jan 18, 2005 6:22 AM

Well, at least for Windoze, the hint Gregory DG gave above for SBInducer was the best I've seen, and now, I probably wouldn't even attempt to use anything else.

The only problem is that there may be something you want, but doesn't have an SBI available for it, but if you go to the above link, there is a forum where you can request SBI's to be produced.

The tutorial supplied is good, and you'll be up and running in no time.

#11 phaxda OFFLINE  

phaxda

River Patroller

• 2,402 posts
  • just a geek with some old black plastic

Posted Wed Dec 14, 2005 10:12 AM

I found this thread searching for information on how to burn a StellaDC CD to play 2600 games on the Dreamcast. As far as a tool for Mac OS X, all you need is Mac Dream Tool. Even I got it to work (made a NES and SNES CD), and I am horrible at this type of thing.

http://gbadcdev.emus...com/dc_apps.htm

HOWEVER... I cannot seem to get Stella DC to work at all. I don't even know where to put the ROMs within the whole structure--I made a Roms folder in the data directory, but that didn't work. Usually these things come with a roms folder and a little readme that says "put roms here," but no such luck with this program. So, can anyone help me out? I am just looking for a way to play Fall Down on a big screen TV because I am hopelessly addicted to it.

Those using OS X can install mkisofs and cdrecord through fink.  (apt-get install mkisofs; apt-get install cdrecord)  You'll also need to find and compile makeip.

Gotta confess ... you have some pretty awesome dev skills Bruce, but there are those of us who want to play homebrew DC games and don't know the first thing about things like:

"ind and compile makeip"

Today, I took another look at some of the DC homebrew sites and was saddened to see that there didn't seem to be tools for making DC discs for the non-techie. Everything assumed you knew about formats, unix command lines etc etc etc.

I'd just love if someone would make a Mac OS X Dreamcast Homebrew utility that had a couple of features.

View Post

#12 phaxda OFFLINE  

phaxda

River Patroller

• 2,402 posts
  • just a geek with some old black plastic

Posted Thu Jan 5, 2006 1:28 PM

I figured I'd just reply, rather than edit. Anyway, my sole problem was the capital letter in the "Roms" directory name. I am now happily playing Atari on Dreamcast--see my blog entry about it!

I found this thread searching for information on how to burn a StellaDC CD to play 2600 games on the Dreamcast. As far as a tool for Mac OS X, all you need is Mac Dream Tool. Even I got it to work (made a NES and SNES CD), and I am horrible at this type of thing.

http://gbadcdev.emus...com/dc_apps.htm

HOWEVER... I cannot seem to get Stella DC to work at all. I don't even know where to put the ROMs within the whole structure--I made a Roms folder in the data directory, but that didn't work. Usually these things come with a roms folder and a little readme that says "put roms here," but no such luck with this program. So, can anyone help me out? I am just looking for a way to play Fall Down on a big screen TV because I am hopelessly addicted to it.

Those using OS X can install mkisofs and cdrecord through fink.  (apt-get install mkisofs; apt-get install cdrecord)  You'll also need to find and compile makeip.

"ind and compile makeip"

View Post

View Post

#13 bretthorror OFFLINE  

bretthorror

Dragonstomper

• 815 posts

Posted Sun Jun 17, 2007 8:05 PM

I downloaded this sbiffy thingy and put the stella emulator in the .sbi file. But, how do I add roms to this? I clicked on games and I haven't really hard of any of those sbi files. Any help would be appreciated.

EDIT: Wow, got the 2600 down pat. 7800 is another story...

Edited by bretthorror, Sun Jun 17, 2007 11:16 PM.

0 user(s) are browsing this forum

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users