IGNORED

Beef Drop work in progress

kenfused

I believe the correct or more accurate statement is "playing an EMU is not playing on an Atari system".

999556[/snapback]

I'll go with that. Sometimes I use an EMU to try out a game before I buy it. I guess my somewhat purest veiw of playing Atari is not well taken all the time.

1001727[/snapback]

Your viewpoint and sentiment was indeed instilled even deeper, as I just 'reorganized' my spare/game room. Sadly and quite honestly, it was a while since I played on an actual Atari system. After the 'reorganization', I found myself playing both my 4-switcher woodgrain and my Atari 7800. It reminded me, even more so, that nothing beats the real deal :love:

I can definitely related to the purest view, but still love emulation too! :)

I find my games are more enjoyable, sometimes easier to learn, on the actual system.

EMU's are ok, though.

Right now I'm learning a game for which I will need an adapter. I have the right controller for it, but that controller is for a different system, and it gets used on that system quite a bit, so I'll need an adapter.

Anyway, I'm sure that game will be much more playable when I can use the correct controls for it, although the basic controllers that came with the system do an almost adequate job.

• 2 weeks later...
OH, I'd purchace a cart (pending having money) even if the rom is avaliable for download. - Of course numbered carts will sell here, especially if they are internaly numbered (custom rom)

--------

Cart # Original Owner

1000627[/snapback]

When will this cart be ready?

Where does the line form to "pre order" this cart?

As a 7800 collector without a CC2, if I want to play a game on a "real" system.

If there is a question about making carts, I know that both Lee Kruger and Video 61 have done it in the past. I know because I have bought titles off of them.

Keep me posted. I can't wait to play the game.

Mike from Morgantown

PS -- I have an Intellicart, so I love Schell Electronics. It is just with a young son, I could not justify the outlay for a CC2 to my wife.

Edited by mdoerty

• 1 month later...
  • 3 months later...

quick update.

I am including a new bin in the zip that attempt to enable and use a pokey on an xboard if one is found and should fall back if it is not.

If anyone has one and wants to test that now is your chance.

Length Date Time Name

-------- ---- ---- ----

32768 06-29-06 22:11 bd7800demo.bin - will attempt to detect pokey on cart (like ballblazer) and use if found if not fall back to tia

32896 06-29-06 22:11 bd7800demo.a78 - same as above but with emulator header

32768 06-29-06 22:11 bd7800demox.bin - will attempt to enable and detect pokey on xboard and fall back to tia if not found

Also it would be nice if the bin could be tested on few real 7800s without pokey to make sure tia fallback works in all cases.

Has anyone bought this board?

Thanks,

Ken

bd7800demo.zip

Also it would be nice if the bin could be tested on few real 7800s without pokey to make sure tia fallback works in all cases.

Hi Ken,

You can use the CC2 to test how it works without a POKEY even if the CC2 has a POKEY. Just use HSC_32K as the banking instead of 78HSCPOK. Or 7800_32K to test no POKEY and no HSC.

Chad

quick update.

I am including a new bin in the zip that attempt to enable and use a pokey on an xboard if one is found and should fall back if it is not.

If anyone has one and wants to test that now is your chance.

Length Date Time Name

-------- ---- ---- ----

32768 06-29-06 22:11 bd7800demo.bin - will attempt to detect pokey on cart (like ballblazer) and use if found if not fall back to tia

32896 06-29-06 22:11 bd7800demo.a78 - same as above but with emulator header

32768 06-29-06 22:11 bd7800demox.bin - will attempt to enable and detect pokey on xboard and fall back to tia if not found

Has anyone bought this board?

Thanks,

Ken

I don't have an xboard so I couldn't fully test that one. It does correctly drop to TIA sound mode though. The regular one seemed to work correctly. I tested with a CC2, my ERPOM burner is currently in the shop, hopefully I should be getting it back in a week or so and I can test it again with an EPROM cart. Unless someone else beats me to it. :D

I did notice that it still has the issue where if the baddie is a coming up a ladder and you drop a piece on them right as they are coming to the top it will go right through them.

Mitch

I did notice that it still has the issue where if the baddie is a coming up a ladder and you drop a piece on them right as they are coming to the top it will go right through them.

Mitch

I have actually have that happen on the arcade although very rarely. If they are right almost at the top, they wont drop or be squashed. Not sure if that is on all versions (midway vs. data east). I know one of them plays a sound when you are out of pepper and the other doesnt (in MAME at least).

You can use the CC2 to test how it works without a POKEY even if the CC2 has a POKEY. Just use HSC_32K as the banking instead of 78HSCPOK. Or 7800_32K to test no POKEY and no HSC.

Chad

Yep, I have actually done that before. Just dont have the serial cable hooked up handly and too lazy to go through the process at the moment to put it on the mmc card also. Just hoping other people can find any bugs before I get a chance to try it.

Mitch

I have actually have that happen on the arcade although very rarely. If they are right almost at the top, they wont drop or be squashed. Not sure if that is on all versions (midway vs. data east). I know one of them plays a sound when you are out of pepper and the other doesnt (in MAME at least).

I think that happens in the Intellivision version too. I remember getting caught by one that did not get squished.

I had hoped to add atarivox/joy-mem-card support for saving high scores, but there is no way that is going to happen unless I go to 48K ROM or cut the extra screens that are in the 800/5200 version. A 48K version would not allow ballblazer boards to be used to have a pokey (at least not without heavy mods). So I think I am going to fix the one extra screen that does not work and consider it done pretty soon. I also have a pretty good stock of 27256 eproms but no 27512s.

Ok, here is another new version.

This version has a modified version of the sprite system from my other 7800 game (QBert) which uses a lot less cpu time.

I need to adjust the speed since now the game runs much faster and is not slowed down as more sprites are present.

Let me know if anyone notices any new bugs (mostly with the sprites).

Thanks,

Ken

bd7800demo.zip

Ok, here is another new version.

This version has a modified version of the sprite system from my other 7800 game (QBert) which uses a lot less cpu time.

I need to adjust the speed since now the game runs much faster and is not slowed down as more sprites are present.

Let me know if anyone notices any new bugs (mostly with the sprites).

Thanks,

Ken

I did notice one thing. When you drop the baddies with burger parts instead of reappearing from where they got dropped to they show up higher on the screen.

Mitch

I noticed there's no "ringing" notification when you are out of pepper(s). Don't know if this was ever planned or there was a sound effect for being out of pepper in the past. However, just realized it now under MESS 0.106.

-Trebor

I never put it in the 5200 version. In the arcade verison, the pepper sound is only in one of the versions (either Midway or Data East) (I forget which), so it always made it as an excuse to not put it in :-)

I have fixed the spawn problem someone listed in an earlier post. Will post an updated version later after completing a few other things.

Speed tweaks to try and get the speed of each difficulty level to where it was.

Note: in MESS, it will appear slower than before because MESS was playing the game kind of fast before.

Fixed spawn point, fixed enemies appearing at the top when chef pete was displayed on character intro demo.

bd7800demo.zip

Hi Kenfused,

Great work on these latest updates! Now, I can play it under MESS under with the 'proper' speeds. Thank you.

Concerning the "Pepper Out" notification jingle, it does not play for either the Data East or DECO versions of the game. However, in the US, Data East licensed Burgertime for distribution by Bally Midway. That version does contain the "Pepper Out" notification jingle, and was the most common distribution of the game in the US.

Regardless, if you decide to ever add the jingle or not, this port is fantastic. I really appreciate it.

-Trebor