IGNORED

XF551

Tempest

Does the XF551 use a standard power supply like the 1050? I recently won one in an auction but when I turn it on the light only comes on briefly and I hear the drive come on for a split second then it goes off. Is this normal when the computer isn't on or is something wrong?

Tempest

I also got an Indus GT in that lot.  Are they worth anything.  

Tempest

The Indus is a very nice double density drive. From my experience, it is a sturdy, reliable drive. I had one I bought used. (anecdote time) I gave it to my brother. He used it in his little smoking room in the basement. The thing was not covered, so it was extremely grimy. I cleaned it and ran one of those cleaner disks... sucker worked like a charm.

I'm regretting selling it. I sold it cuz I needed the money and I was a lot more confident it would survive the shipping experience then either of my 1050s.

I am considering bidding on one, next time one comes around.

Smeg

I also got an Indus GT in that lot.  Are they worth anything.  It's seriously heavy!  The thing is made of metal!  

Tempest

I used to have a lot of technical info on the Indus GT. It has a Z80 processor, and it actually has a provision to download code to run on it. Apparently they had big plans for the drive that never panned out. Anyway, the development name for the drive was the "WART - Wonderful Atari Rotating Thing." :)

-Bry

Does anyone remember any information about putting one of those two in one 5.25" & 3.5" drives into a XF551? I seem to recall seeing something somewhere about that and I have finally found one of those 2-in-1 drives at a thrift store.

I have a bunch of information on putting a 3.5" mech in, and the ROM changes to make to support that as well as some other fixes that Bob Woolley added, but not the 2-in-1 mod. I seem to remember it involving a switch to switch the drives between A & B drive, since one is usually A and the other B.