IGNORED

Halo 2 sales $125 million

Foxy Cleopatra

:o

$125 million in 24 hours!!

Halo 2 reports record $125 million in sales on first day of launch

By ALLISON LINN

AP BUSINESS WRITER

SEATTLE -- Halo 2, the much-hyped video game for Microsoft Corp.'s Xbox video game console, had sales of $125 million in just 24 hours on the market, the company said Wednesday.

The figures for the United States and Canada, which represented sales of 2.38 million units, easily exceeded Microsoft's prediction that it would top $100 million in sales. Peter Moore, a Microsoft corporate vice president, estimated that it was the biggest launch of any entertainment product in retail history.

David Riley, senior manager with The NPD Group, said if independent sales figures show that Microsoft topped or exceeded $125 million in sales, then Halo 2 would definitely count among the top five best-selling games in history, for first-day sales.

But in a year which expects to see many big game debuts, he cautioned that it's tough to say who will eventually claim the most sales in a 24-hour period.

In general, Riley said it's hard to get accurate data on first-day game sales, although NPD Group does provide estimates on total sales for the life of a video game.

Through September of this year, the company ranks Super Mario 64 as the best-selling game with $308 million in sales since its September 1996 debut. Grant Theft Auto: Vice City ranks second, with total sales of $284 million between October of 2002 and September of 2004.

Tuesday's sales figures would put Halo 2 on track to easily beat out the first version of Halo. That game debuted in November of 2001 and ranked eighth with sales of $149 million through September, according to NPD.

Retailers also reported a busy day. GameStop, which operates 1,726 stores throughout the United States, said it sold more than 500,000 copies of Halo 2 in the first day, substantially more than any other game on its first day of release.

http://seattlepi.nwsource.com/local/aploca...alo%202%20Sales

still overrated. just that many stupid people in the U.S.

Hi are you a Nintendo fanboy? Please start a thread so I can go shit in it... Thanks for stopping by.

Actually I'm not, just against microsoft. If it wasn't for the fact I'm a big PC gamer, I'd be running Linux...

And Half-Life 2 is going to rock halo out of its pants.

still overrated. just that many stupid people in the U.S.

Hi are you a Nintendo fanboy? Please start a thread so I can go shit in it... Thanks for stopping by.

Actually I'm not, just against microsoft. If it wasn't for the fact I'm a big PC gamer, I'd be running Linux...

And Half-Life 2 is going to rock halo out of its pants.

Microsoft didn't even make Halo so chill out there tough guy.

It's good to see Halo 2 is doing so good in sales. The first one was one of the best FPS ever.

I hate when people try to compare movies and video games and "entertainment" in general...$50 for Halo and $9 for a movie (not counting popcorn etc) are not easy to compare sales figures with without being able to slur the stats to bolster whatever argument you want to support either way. Comparison to other games is not so bad...but still seems kinda silly to compare to a movie...I saw a guy from MS doing the movie comparison on CNN last night. :ponder:

Sometimes there is more money to be made from the marketing of a product than the main product itself. Look at all the different items for such things as Star Trek or Star Wars. They have probably made more money on the merchandise than the actual programs themselves.

I'm gonna play some Halo 2 this weekend with my brother. But I'm more looking forward to completing the last level (it wasn't until we reached the last level we realized my brother sucks hard at driving, and I mastered it instantly). Halo is cool, but it just isn't fun for me to play by myself, whereas other FPS (Doom, even Doom 3, Duke Nukem) were for me. But Halo was the first FPS to grab my attention since Jedi Knight, I thought FPS were overkilled a long time ago on PCs. I think thats why people are all the rage about Halo is because FPSs sucked for a while, and Halo was good

I'm impressed. I knew that this game was going to sell a lot of copies, but I never imagined that it would make over $100 million in a day!

I'll hopefully be playing Halo 2 with a friend of mine over the weekend .I introduced him to the fine-art of the original Halo -- he owned it, but until the two of us sat down and played it he didn't really play it much. Now he's a major fan. :D I think he was hooked after I thwacked him in the back of the head, resulting in the wonderful one-hit kill.

Ok, apart from all the pro- and con-fanboys, who has it and what do they think?

I've only tried it a little... starting co-op twice, and some multiplayer.

Parts of it are surprisingly unpolished. For instance, the menu system is really weird, something about how it locks player one into a recently created player and generally locks out the other players is unintuitive.

Plus, cut scenes have lots of bizarre delayed texture loads.

Finally the game itself...it feels half-baked. Like they were trying to be a new kind of game, but it ends up not working to well...like they wanted to avoid being a typical run-n-gun by having waves of enemies in a single battlefield, that kind of thing. Lots of allies just standing around doing nothing. And, worst of all from a gameplay standpoint, half the time you have no frickin' idea where to go. Couldn't that stupid computer girl in your head give you some damn directions when you're wandering around obviously lost?

Admittedly I haven't played this game very much yet, but so far, it's not living up to the hype.

My bad for being amazed and thinking I could comment  :roll:  

Back to AI JANE

Funny how you get all pissy when this is all keilbaca was doing in the first place - commenting.

So unfortunate that her highness is hard done by once again, but whatever.

Anyway, since this thread was intended to be a place for us all to comment on Halo sales I will;

The thing that shocks me here is the sheer power of the marketing. Few played this or read a review before purchase. Hell, I'll bet some didn't even play Halo 1 and just bought this due to hype. That's some impressive branding I say.

I hope your Xbox's arn't modded  ;)  

http://www.joystiq.com/entry/8277496751784728/

damnt! - i was looking to eventually get Live once i had the xtra cash - looks like ill definitly have to get another xbox thats modfree ;)

kudos to the sales figures in that span of time - a friend at school couldnt believe the popularity in video games today when he saw the other other day a huge line xtending blocks here in ny for halo 2 - vg's are kick ass ;)

cant wait to play halo 2 soon :)

Hi Foxy! :D

Back to AI JANE

Funny how you get all pissy when this is all keilbaca was doing in the first place - commenting.

Um, actually no...keilbaca was flaming. Trolls do that sometimes. :twisted:

Calling everyone who bought a game stupid is either;

A) A fanboy.

B) Jealous they dont have it.

C) Jealous of the company making tons of cash on it.

D) All of the above.

Back to AI JANE

Funny how you got all pissy when a certain person was saying the DS is overhyped junk :roll: Of course, she didn't throw a tantrum like you did. And really, keilbaca was doing nothing more than being an asshole about it, as many plainly saw. Oh well, none of that will stop the Halo sales anyways so continue on.......