IGNORED

Boinxx work in progress

Heaven/TQA

further improvements:

- bug fixed in the scrolling routine

- new jump table for the ball (next time it seems i need a parabolic lookup table to make it right...)

- score panel & score routine implemented

- joystick routine reactivated after pressing start

next is the collision routine...

post-528-1100463224_thumb.jpg

boinxx1.zip

• Like 1

Heaven/TQA,

Really looks awesome! I was follwoing some of this in the programming board. I like the how the ball aniation; sprite changes size larger/smaller druing the bounce. Have to love that color pallette!!!

Great work!

~zen

===============================================

A Side Question:

And so as to not take Heaven/TQA's thread "off topic""

If someone would like to answer..

Just PM me. username: Zenassem

-----

I've been confused as to where A8 coders should, post their projects. The programming board gets cluttered easily with mainly 2600, and then here and there 5200,7800,A8 etc..

Would it be possible to have an A8 projects, coding tips, tools, demos, and specific A8 coding discussions, in a seperate board, like ("A8 Coding Scene")?

• 3 weeks later...

ok... here is a small update... i tried to implement a kind of more realistic jump table for the ball...you see the difference when in attract mode and after pressing start...

can you tell me if this kind of approach "feels right" or is it more like a frog and not close to reality at all???

thanks a lot for your feedback...

boinxx2.zip

ok... here is a small update... i tried to implement a kind of more realistic jump table for the ball...you see the difference when in attract mode and after pressing start...

can you tell me if this kind of approach "feels right" or is it more like a frog and not close to reality at all???

The ball looks like it is jumping and is getting faster when it's getting higher....

"In reality" the ball is at the fastest speed' date=' after it bounces on the floor.

thanks a lot for your feedback...

Hm... thought this was ment for the whole demo, so I mentioned the tune... sorry...

;)

but the POV (point of view) is above/on top of the ball/scene... so movements near to the eye must be faster than the ones "down" and far away from you? so i guess it's the opposite way than what you thought emkay?

Make the most of this folks, i'm about to agree with emkay! =-)

You're viewing an arc from the top, the point where the ball has the highest Z speed is just prior and just after the collision with the ground and that's the point when it's furthest from the camera - at present, the ball appears to bounce off the foreground, as though off the television screen rather than off the platforms.

The diagram i've (hopefully) attached is a little rough and ready since i knocked it up in five minutes but gives the gist; it's the movement curve as viewed from the side, the camera is the white arrow and the ground the yellow line. The ball spends more time close to the camera (so more time in it's large state) than it does away (in it's small state).

post-3086-1102353834.png

tmr, emkay... agreed to a certain point but...

your imagination is handled via the z-value hence the ball at the moment is more often "large" then small... so i have approximated having that in mind.... but... i am not talking about the animation (or is this still wrong?) but instead about the delta x, delta y movement which the player is possible to make depending on the height of the ball...

so... i still agree with you guys when talking about the animation... but i am still not convinced when we talk about the speed and the movement the ball can do depending on the hight?

so... i still agree with you guys when talking about the animation... but i am still not convinced when we talk about the speed and the movement the ball can do depending on the hight?

i'm only talking about that Z motion, i'm not saying it should affect how the ball moves in X or Y and that should remain a constant and unrelated to the Z position otherwise it stands a good chance of crippling the gameplay.

thanks miker... boinxx was a nice idea by the guy who made the logo & the rest of the artwork... (retrofan)... my initial name "trackball" is very lame... so boinxx sounds & looks good imho...

and yes... nasties will be implemented... but 1st i want to get the "bouncing" feeling and controls right before i waste more time on the nasties...

and to all the coders out there... demo coding is something completly different than game coding... (tmr...you were right with your "today i am in demo mode and tomorrow in game coding mode") so try to write a game... indead a complete different experience & challenge...

maybe a dream comes true and i will manage to implement a new sio routine... this would be great to have music/animation while loading new level data... huj... that would be cool...

check out as examples taquart energy fanzines...

(esp. energy #1 with the 2 pokey voices + 2 digi channels...)

energy.zip

maybe a dream comes true and i will manage to implement a new sio routine... this would be great to have music/animation while loading new level data... huj... that would be cool...

check out as examples taquart energy fanzines...

(esp. energy #1 with the 2 pokey voices + 2 digi channels...)

I remember that is was quite easy if you just copy the os rom to the underlaying ram and than patch the sio routines.

This method has the disadvantage that you can't use the "os ram" anymore.

But it was easy to do (just a few bytes) and worked perfect.

Heaven: i'll try my best with the music, but...doesn't the game lack more graphics, especially some background bitplanes or patterns ??? That's what I like in Jump game.

Are you concentrating mainly on engine of the game at the moment ?

Let us start at title music... tell me what style of music you prefer for a title screen. Could it be 4 times a frame ? What about ingame music ? Should it be only one time per frame ?

re: title music

the title screen will be "nothing" special so you could use all RMT power...

for ingame i would go for 1 vbl rmt music just to have enough power... but use only 3 channels so one is left for fx...

and yes... i am concentrating at the moment on the engine & game play... (as TMR suggested...) if this works i will add more and more game play elements... and if then enough CPU power is left i'll add some bits and pieces to make it outstanding...