IGNORED

* Most Wanted MIA Games *

• 3 years later...

Howdy,

as mentioned in my introduction comment i came here looking for a a version of "Astrowar" that i aquired 2 cib copies of in a large leftover-stock. Turned out it was by dimax/sinmax thanks to your site.

I also spotted here that you needed more pictures of Reversal by Hayden (also have 2 cib copies of it).

I added pictures of the list a made so far (maybe some other items here that i can help with to fill your database?)

Since i am no atari (or other console mentioned in the list) collector, i don't know the publishers if they are not mentioned on the sheet :P.

Since i heard there were pretty hard to find items in there please let me know if i can be of any help.

post-47289-0-48413000-1468958173_thumb.jpg

post-47289-0-65699200-1468958174_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

• 8 months later...

I remember these games being advertised very prominently in gaming mags, with attractive ads and pretty screenshots (Death in the Caribbean especially). Yet I've never seen the games in the wild. Did nobody buy them? :P

Micro Fun

Death in the Caribbean

Dino Eggs

Heist (The)

• 5 years later...
3 minutes ago, rdefabri said:

I know it’s since been found but I do have a pristine copy of Battle Warp by West Coast Software on cassette (uncovered while locating a copy of Ambulance by Aim Software)

always good to have multiple sources to verify for preservation or uncover revisions and improvements\!

• Like 1

On 3/19/2023 at 10:15 PM, rdefabri said:

I know it’s since been found but I do have a pristine copy of Battle Warp by West Coast Software on cassette (uncovered while locating a copy of Ambulance by Aim Software)

On 3/19/2023 at 10:19 PM, _The Doctor__ said:

always good to have multiple sources to verify for preservation or uncover revisions and improvements\!

That is what I say, just dump everything.

• Like 2

Just now, SoulBuster said:

That is what I say, just dump everything.

Yep - that's a long standing project of mine.  I literally have 100+ disks of just about everything.  Since I don't want to fire up my A8 (it's been in storage a long time, so a little nervous about damaging it), I've been trying to figure out how to read them directly from the 810 into a Windows PC.

Someone provided me the info, it may have been SIO2USB, and I need a special cable (don't want to modify mine)...once I figure that out, I need to get "around to it".  I'll get there though, this is a start.

• Like 1

SIO2PC USB or SIO2PC rs232, Atarimax still the gold standard, but homebrew and other vendors make offerings too. AtariMax unit is also a Prosystem 1050 2 PC unified automatically switching device and is the only one that can control an XF551 properly. The other choices for Drive to PC are homebrew cable or a 1050 2 PC or manually switched combo unit.

Edited by _The Doctor__

Just now, _The Doctor__ said:

SIO2PC USB or SIO2PC rs232, Atarimax still the gold standard, but homebrew and other vendors make offerings too. AtariMax unit is also a Prosystem 1050 2 PC unified automatically switching device and is the only one that can control an XF551 properly. The other choices for Drive to PC are homebrew cable or a 1050 2 PC or manually switched combo unit.

For some reason, I can't figure out how to do it.  I'm reasonably technical, but maybe my job (fast-paced, high pressure) distracts me.

I have an 810 - would 1050-2-PC work with it?  Also, I don't see the 1050-2-PC on the Atarimax site...where is it?  Do I need software too (I think it's needed)?

My wife laughs at me when I cook / bake - I follow recipes to a "T", I have to measure everything exactly.  This is the same - I need a "recipe" for how to do it, it's not clear to me at all (mostly my fault).

1 hour ago, rdefabri said:

I have an 810 - would 1050-2-PC work with it?  Also, I don't see the 1050-2-PC on the Atarimax site...where is it?  Do I need software too (I think it's needed)?

Yes to the first.

The 10502PC is not a separate device from the SIO2PC.  Both functionalities are built into a single device. Typically, the "dual" 10502PC/SIO2PC (https://retrolemon.co.uk/atari-8bit-storage-devices/57-10502pc-sio2pc-usb.html) can be distinguished from an SIO2PC (https://retrolemon.co.uk/atari-8bit-storage-devices/38-sio2pc-usb.html) by the type of USB port.

You can back up old floppies using "just" an SIO2PC and either Respeqt or APE software.  The 10502PC functionality removes the need for an Atari computer in the serial chain: you can image old floppies to your PC by connecting it directly to, e.g., a 1050.  Doing so requires the "Pro System" software (which is bundled with APE) or Kafar.  I could never get Kafar to work, so I used the Pro system and a speedy-modified 1050.  This setup worked very efficiently cataloging and archiving old disks. 

Edited by burkhart87
  • Like 2

Just now, burkhart87 said:

Yes to the first.

The 10502PC is not a separate device from the SIO2PC.  Both functionalities are built into a single device. Typically, the "dual" 10502PC/SIO2PC (https://retrolemon.co.uk/atari-8bit-storage-devices/57-10502pc-sio2pc-usb.html) can be distinguished from an SIO2PC (https://retrolemon.co.uk/atari-8bit-storage-devices/38-sio2pc-usb.html) by the type of USB port.

You can back up old floppies using "just" an SIO2PC and either Respeqt or APE software.  The 10502PC functionality removes the need for an Atari computer in the serial chain: you can image old floppies to your PC by connecting it directly to, e.g., a 1050.  Doing so requires the "Pro System" software (which is bundled with APE) or Kafar.  I could never get Kafar to work, so I used the Pro system and a speedy-modified 1050.  This setup worked very efficiently cataloging and archiving old disks. 

Ok great so I would need:

Am I missing anything?

Thanks for this - it's helpful.  I've asked this previously on a few occasions, sorry to keep doing it - age and work make me forgetful and lazy :D

https://atarimax.com/sio2pc/documentation/index.html

APE SIO2PC USB video on that page shows how it works both ways. Can be had as a dead end device or pass thru device, just scroll down, works faster with some drives like the XF551 etc.

I've used both APE and ProSystem, as APE emulates, an internet modem, Printers, Drives, Mirror Drive, BootLoader, Datasette (cassette), 850, etc.

I primarily use RespeQT for PCLINK storage

• Like 1

3 hours ago, www.atarimania.com said:

For cracked disks, the 1050-2-PC / Kafar combo has worked remarkably well for me these past months. Very simple and efficient.

Does the SIO2PC-USB feed the needed 5 Volts to SIO or where did you take it from?

I only ever used a serial Atarimax SIO2PC and needed to have a powered-on Atari connected to the SIO bus to deliver these 5 Volts.

Since rdefabri has no Atari to connect, this might be problem for him.

1 hour ago, rdefabri said:

Am I missing anything?

I would order everything but the USB cable from Atarimax, as The Doctor suggests above. Read the description on the page he provided a link for; it's saying that the Atarimax SIO2PC device is a "dual" function 10502PC and SIO2PC.

I'm not an expert on this topic, but there are/were some incompatibilities between Atarimax/APE and non-Atarimax devices.  It can be a bit Byzantine so I'm not going to attempt to recap it here.  I managed to get an old non-Atarimax 10502PC (from a member that has since been banned) working with the APE/Prosystem software, but it was not straightforward. 

And don't use a USB charging cable 😃.

• Like 1

Just now, www.atarimania.com said:

@DjayBee I only need to have the 1050 powered on to use the device.

Exactly what I'm looking to do - 810 to laptop.  As mentioned, I am reasonably technical (although at times dense) -- I know this can be done, it's just deciphering HOW to do it.  I think I get it, but I have to act on it before I forget how again.

Yup AtariMax SIO2PC USB all in one gets it's power from the USB. It does not need power from the Atari's SIO cord at all.

Archived disks with just a laptop, Atari Disk Drive, and the SIO2PC USB using ProSystem.

Windows. If you want every option available register it.

There is the greaseweazle route as well but that's flux stream level archiving and has many steps involved. Hope that covers all the bases

Edited by _The Doctor__