atari 2600 in a movie

22 replies to this topic

#1 atarimastermarty OFFLINE  

atarimastermarty

Dragonstomper

• 502 posts
  • Location:Some small town in NY that my gaming collections bigger then

Posted Mon Nov 26, 2001 12:44 AM

In the movie Revenge of the nerds (i think 1) there in a gym. The little kid is sitting on is bed playing atari 2600! Im not sure but the game looks like pheoix. I thought it was pretty cool.

#2 King Atari OFFLINE  

King Atari

Quadrunner

• 5,276 posts

Posted Sun Nov 25, 2001 1:54 PM

There's also a 2600 in ET, the brother is also later heard talking about "Space Invaders".

#3 liveinabin OFFLINE  

liveinabin

Pencil wrangler

• 6,479 posts

Posted Sun Nov 25, 2001 4:01 PM

I know it's not a film, but I saw a rerun of the A Team yesterday where Murdoch was playing on an Atari (he was hauled away by the bad guys - still playing)

#4 King Atari OFFLINE  

King Atari

Quadrunner

• 5,276 posts

Posted Sun Nov 25, 2001 4:59 PM

Murdock also used to have an arcade in his room at the nuthouse, don't know if it was an atari brand or not, just thought it was worth mentioning.

#5 bcprs1 OFFLINE  

bcprs1

Stargunner

• 1,554 posts

Posted Sun Nov 25, 2001 7:14 PM

My favorite Atari line from a movie.
Rusty: "you have pac-man?"
Kid: "nope"
Rusty: "you have space invaders?"
Kid: "naaaa"
Rusty: "you have asteroids?"
Kid: "no, but my dad does. some days he can't get up from the toilet"
--National Lampoon's Vacation

#6 moycon OFFLINE  

moycon

Quadrunner

• 21,956 posts
  • moycon?? What the hell is that??

Posted Tue Nov 27, 2001 2:44 AM

You can hear the sounds of Yars Revenge in the movie Airplane 2 when their all in the control room I think trying to land the shuttle.

#7 The Night Phantom OFFLINE  

The Night Phantom

Dragonstomper

• 819 posts

Posted Tue Nov 27, 2001 3:46 PM

quote:

Originally posted by moycon:
You can hear the sounds of Yars Revenge in the movie Airplane 2 when their all in the control room I think trying to land the shuttle.

And of course, you can both hear and see Atari Basketball among the monitors in the original Airplane!

Another Leslie Nielsen comedy with an Atari 2600 game in the mix is The Creature Wasn't Nice (a.k.a. Naked Space, a.k.a. Spaceship), which has Nielsen playing an upside-down Space Invaders.

#8 Nateo OFFLINE  

Nateo

Stargunner

• 1,174 posts

Posted Tue Nov 27, 2001 4:13 PM

There was an episode of Three's Company where Jack and Janet were playing 2600 football. Jack thought Janet was somehow cheating 'cause she kicked a field goal 70 yards away from the post...

#9 bcprs1 OFFLINE  

bcprs1

Stargunner

• 1,554 posts

Posted Wed Jul 10, 2002 11:33 AM

My memory might be bad, but I could have sworn there were Atari 7800 games in ALF. For some reason, I can remember seeing the game boxes piled up on a table.

#10 liveinabin OFFLINE  

liveinabin

Pencil wrangler

• 6,479 posts

Posted Wed Jul 10, 2002 11:39 AM

There is at least 1 boxed Atari game in the department store at the end of Gremlins. Atari also appears in the bar - several of them are playing the Star Wars arcade machine.

#11 Lost Monkey OFFLINE  

Lost Monkey

Champion of Mites

• 4,567 posts
  • Lost!

Posted Wed Jul 10, 2002 11:53 AM

There is a VCS with a couple games sitting on the television in James Woods' apartment in Videodrome.

Note to self: Videodrome would make a neat Silent Hill / RE / MGS style game.

Note to self: Germans LOVE David Hasselhoff, even in rehab.

#12 Chris++ OFFLINE  

Chris++

God of Thunder

• 8,482 posts

Posted Wed Jul 10, 2002 1:14 PM

Let's not forget that nifty South Park thing that was posted recently!

#13 AtariKen64 OFFLINE  

AtariKen64

Dragonstomper

• 592 posts

Posted Wed Jul 10, 2002 11:06 PM

im not sure if a 7800 was shown in alf as posted before. but there was a 7800 seen several times on home imporvement and they actualy play it once in a while, in the earlier years, anyone else catch this?

#14 Atarian7 OFFLINE  

Atarian7

River Patroller

• 3,233 posts

Posted Thu Jul 11, 2002 6:24 AM

I like that episode of Freaks and Geeks. They go to the store (montgomery wards i think) and the games are prominently displayed in the middle of the floor. I don't ever remember seeing that. I do remember playing on one of those kiosks where you could try out games.

#15 -^Cro§Bow^- OFFLINE  

-^Cro§Bow^-

Quadrunner

• 5,327 posts
  • Collector of Fine Atari and Sega Antiquities!

Posted Thu Jul 11, 2002 7:15 AM

Just rediscovered something else Atari in the Movies. I was watching the movie D.A.R.Y.L. last night and sure enough not too far into the beginning of the movie the actor Barrett Oliver (Daryl) plays a super fast game of Pole Position on an 800XL. He does so again later on in the film when he is back in his lab. However, you don't really see the 800XL then like you did at the beginning. But you do clearly see the CX40 controllers in his hand...

A look at the credits at the end did indeed show that the Video Games were provided courtesy of Namco Inc. and Atari Corporation. Trameil got off to an early start I guess with the advertising in the movies.

#16 Thomas Jentzsch OFFLINE  

Thomas Jentzsch

Thrust, Jammed, SWOOPS!, Boulder Dash, THREE·S, Star Castle

• 22,846 posts
  • Always left from right here!

Posted Thu Jul 11, 2002 8:55 AM

Note to self: Germans LOVE David Hasselhoff, even in rehab.

Not all! Defintely not all! :)

#17 Joey Kay OFFLINE  

Joey Kay

Dragonstomper

• 610 posts

Posted Thu Jul 11, 2002 1:10 PM

There was a 2600 (not 7800) in ALF (god I loved that show...)

Also, I didn't know about the 7800 in Home Improvement - perhaps a reason to start watching repeats of that show...

Cheers!

JOey

#18 Eckhard Stolberg OFFLINE  

Eckhard Stolberg

Dragonstomper

• 957 posts

Posted Thu Jul 11, 2002 2:21 PM

The Atari 7800 can be seen several times in the movie "In Country". In one scene Bruce Willis is lying on the couch playing Ms. PAC MAN. The really astonishing part about this is that he is controlling the game with a ProLine joystick using one hand only. I guess that's the difference between real action heroes and us poor wannabes, who even get a handcramp from using the ProLine joystick with both hands. ;)

Ciao, Eckhard Stolberg

#19 ATARIPITBULL OFFLINE  

ATARIPITBULL

LICK MY RED ROCKET LIKE A CANDY CAIN !!!

• 6,394 posts
  • Rub my belly and get a surprise in your face !!

Posted Sat Jul 13, 2002 12:54 AM

I thought that in Revenge of the Nerds, the kid in the gym was playing Reactor on that old tv set?

:ponder: :| :?

#20 Atarian7 OFFLINE  

Atarian7

River Patroller

• 3,233 posts

Posted Sat Jul 13, 2002 4:58 AM

ACtually he was playing spacemaster x-7. That last post sparked my memory and i definitely recall spacemaster x-7 because it is a rare 6 game and one of the original games i owned when i first got atari.

#21 Stella'sGhost OFFLINE  

Stella'sGhost

Dragonstomper

• 555 posts

Posted Sun Jul 14, 2002 3:58 AM

There's a scene in BladeRunner where you see ATARI spelled out in blue neon on a sign in the distance through the dark rainy streets as Harrison Ford makes his way throught the crowd.

This is pretty well known amongst Ridley Scott fans and those Atari fans who are also sci-fi fans.

#22 davidbrit2 OFFLINE  

davidbrit2

Moonsweeper

• 493 posts

Posted Sun Jul 14, 2002 3:45 PM

This isn't really a movie appearance, but it's still cool. If you have Phantasy Star Online for the Dreamcast, try this out. I've done it with Version 1; I don't know if it's in 2.

To see what I'm talking about, stand near the item check counter, face the Principal's area, and look at the sides of the buildings in the distance. If you get lined up right, you'll see the Atari logo quite clearly. Now if only I had a way of getting a decent screen shot.

#23 Gregory DG OFFLINE  

Gregory DG

TAT IS BACK!

• 11,226 posts
  • Go Cardinals!

Posted Wed Jul 17, 2002 8:52 PM

I was looking through this thread hoping to find a screen shot from Freaks and Geeks... If you haven't already, you should check out the Atari on Film article over at TAT. It's a pretty exhaustive list of Atari in the movies and on TV.

http://www.ataritime...atarifilms.html

0 user(s) are browsing this forum

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users