IGNORED

LoopCart

Paul Slocum

I'm working on a VCS mini-tracker program, and I've now got a partially working alpha posted on my webpage. The program will let you build your own 8 measure music loops and load/save them on the Atarivox EEPROM.

Planned features:

- 8 measure loop sequencer

- can generate pretty much any Atari sound

- "high hat" rhythm module

- save/load your loops w/ the AtariVox

- some support for the AtariVox speech chip too

- tuning helper

- trip out mode

- display music as numeric data that can be used w/ my seqeuncer kit

Project webpage here.

Latest alpha ROM here.

Rough version of manual here.

-paul

post-630-1102446201_thumb.jpg

Yeah, even with only 8 subpatterns, 6 patterns, and an 8 measure song memory is still VERY tight. But I believe I'll be able to include the ability to load new patterns from the AtariVox EEPROM without stopping the player. So you can interactively string together longer compositions (cool for live performances).

-paul

Paul,

I bought your sythcart for my birthday this year, that my friend is borrowing. I enjoyed while I had it. The loopcart looks very cool, but the Atarivox says it's coming to Atariage soon. Did I miss it somewhere? I have to use it right along with the loopcart? What will it cost for both? Also when are you playing live again? I live in Fort Worth. Go play at the Riglea Theater. I'm not lazy, it is a nice venue.

Yeah, the Atarivox isn't in the store yet, but it will be very soon. I think it's going to be about $50 and the LoopCart will be around $25. You don't need the AtariVox to use the LoopCart, but you won't be able to save your sequences without it. If you're just going to use it to make loops to sample or use in my 2600 Sequencer Kit, then you don't necessarily need the AtariVox.

I'm sure we'll make it out to Ft Worth before too long. ;)

-paul

OK, so on the LoopCart project page it reads:

"some support for the AtariVox speech chip too"

Besides saving to it, how much is "some?" Will it access only the speech aspects or the "R2D2 glory" also?

Either way, I'm very excited about LoopCart! Paul Slocum is my new hero.

I don't know exactly how much you'll be able to do yet. You'll probably be able to use the voice and some sound effects as instruments, but I don't think you'll have enough control to make it actually speak or sing whatever you want. I think it's going to come down to whether I want to include more allophones (speech elements) or better pitch control. Personally I'm more concerned with pitch so that's probably what will end up being implemented.

-paul

I think it's going to come down to whether I want to include more allophones (speech elements) or better pitch control.  Personally I'm more concerned with pitch so that's probably what will end up being implemented.

I'm with you on that. Pitch all the way. But just as long as the proper allophones for obscene words are there! :evil:

I'm with you on that.  Pitch all the way.  But just as long as the proper allophones for obscene words are there!  :evil:

Now that would be fun! A program to string together the allophones and then play in sequence. Actually I already have a program that does this on my desktop with the VecVoice connected. This makes it easy to determine which allophones to use to create the best speech. It does take some playing and a good ear.

Rob Mitchell, Atlanta, Ga

• 7 years later...