IGNORED

Hacking Desert Falcon into Zaxxon !!!

Curt Vendel

But I love DF!

I would rather someone hack DF and/or Zaxxon into split screen simultainous play two-player...

DF -fix the bug that the lagging player gets baddies from the wrong levels.

DF -fix the fact that there is a max life count.

DF -fix the reported crashing problem.

DF -uncode the glyphs and print out a booklet with all of the possible combos by type of result, level # encounterd, and difficultly level.

meh the links aren't working

7800 Game Development... (Part 1 of 6) http://www.atariage.com/forums/viewtopic.p...ame+development

7800 Game Development... (Part 2 of 6)

7800 Game Development... (Part 3 of 6)

7800 Game Development... (Part 4 of 6)

7800 Game Development... (Part 5 of 6)

7800 Game Development... (Part 6 of 6)

bah ...off to poke topics

Hi everyone,

Given Shaggy's 7800 homebrewerpoolza contest, what say someone takes the source to 7800 Desert Falcon I posted a while back and hacks it into Zaxxon for the 7800 !!!   How friggin cool would THAT be !!!

Curt

link?

http://www.atarimuseum.com/ahs_archives/ar...hinx_source.zip

This is the direct link, also lots of 7800 goodies here too:

http://www.atarimuseum.com/ahs_archives/ar...chdocs-7800.htm

Curt

• 8 years later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Reality Cheque. Glad to hear Curt is feeling better and up to dreaming up a new title for the 7800. It sounds great, except...

Here's how I weigh in. Me thinks about the 7800 in 1984 (and beyond) and what represents what the 7800 woulda, coulda, shoulda been. In 1984 what was HOTT was Millipede, Crystal Castles and T&F. IMHO, in a world of games A thru Z, Zaxxon is at the bottom of the list, except for Zevious, which is my hack not yet produced. That doesn't count.

With limited 7800 programming resources here, I vote for the following:

#1 MILLIPEDE, to prove how much better it would have been on the 7800 v. the 5200.

Wasn't the 32K Millipede a hack of the 16K Centipede on the 5200? We have a disassembly of Centipede on the 7800. Step one complete.

#2 CRYSTAL CASTLES, we can use Bob's Bentley Bear which belongs in CC. Doesn't it?

#3 TRAK & FIELD. Wasn't GCC working on this proto?

#4 ZAXXON

/// BLUE man ///

And don't forget a 7800 Moon Patrol.

But this is getting off the point that Desert Falcon, in concept, seems an easy -> Zaxxon hack. Easy and worthwhile. And conceivably completely awesome. :)

Follow this up with a perfect port of Congo Bongo (you know, since it's isometric too and ran on the same arcade board as Zaxxon).

Wasn't the 32K Millipede a hack of the 16K Centipede on the 5200? We have a disassembly of Centipede on the 7800. Step one complete.

If you played them both for thirty seconds each you would see they are competly different in the programming techniques that they use.

Allan

A hearty Boo Yah back at ya, Trebor. I wasn't opposing Curt's view. I hope he gets his game.

However the Reality Czech still remains, as shown in reverse chronological order,

2013 I request MILLIPEDE on the 7800.

2004 Curt requests ZAXXON on the 7800.

1984 I was waiting for my "advance copy" of 7800 MILLIPEDE. And still am. Until we have MILLIPEDE, the 7800 remains a laggard in the Retro-Gaming world, IMHO. I'm not asking anyone to agree with me, it's just a simple opinion on a simple blog. Plus, we want to trade our MILLIPEDE for GCC's T&F from 1984. I know T&F is out there - I can feel it. Maybe it's just a prototype, but something to look at. A C025513 board with 2 x 27128 EPROMs. Just waiting to be hatched.

1983 The last time I played 5200 CENTIPEDE and/or MILLIPEDE. Point well taken, Allan, obviously from what you say it's clear that MILLIPEDE would be a build from scratch. We could look at the 78 CENTIPEDE source list to see what was done as a reference and possibly use some pieces from it. I need to find a working 5200, and a controller, a switchbox, and a compatible TV. I can do this, but not right now. Build MILLIPEDE and we'll get T&F!!!

Thanks all, for your patience with me. Mighty Momentum is building again on the 7800...it's coming...

///BLUEman///

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 years later...

I'd be up for that and MILLIPEDE - the 5200 unreleased version of the latter is sure playable but the choppy animation of many of the critters suggests it was not a smooth final version.

Any way of basing the 7800 version of ZAXXON upon the 800XL version of SUPER ZAXXON, which looked really good and has - seemingly - yet to be converted to the 5200?

• 2 weeks later...