IGNORED

8-Bit Prototype Roms Needed!

Tempest

I am currently in the process of doing a massive update to my 8-bit section, but I need several prototype roms so I can take some screenshots. If anyone is willing to share any of these roms, I'd greatly appreciate it.

Tempest

Mean 18

Midi Maze

Animated Puzzle

Blue Print (not the Glenn the 5200 man hack)

Cosmic Tunnels (cartridge version)

Da Fuzz

Destiny: The Cruiser

Jinks

Lettor Tutor

Lifespan (cartidge version)

Mario Bros. (original 84 version)

Mat Mania Challenge

Montezuma's Revenge (cartridge version)

Mr. Do's Castle (cartridge version)

Explorer (Pastfinder WIP proto)

The Final Legacy betas (1 and 2)

Track and Field (84 Games version)

Tutankham

Xenophobe

I am currently in the process of doing a massive update to my 8-bit section, but I need several prototype roms so I can take some screenshots.  If anyone is willing to share any of these roms, I'd greatly appreciate it.

Tempest

Mean 18

Midi Maze

Animated Puzzle

Blue Print (not the Glenn the 5200 man hack)

Da Fuzz

Destiny: The Cruiser

Jinks

Lettor Tutor

Lifespan (cartidge version)

Mat Mania Challenge

Explorer (Pastfinder WIP proto)

Tutankham

Xenophobe

Atarimania Has many that you are looking for.

That's odd.  Their Mario Bros still has the # and * from the 5200 version on the title screen.  Is there a version that has Option and Select instead?  I assume this is just a hack.

http://www.atarimania.com/detail_soft.php?...FT_LIB&SENS=ASC

Tempest

It a 5200 conversion. control-g will tell you on many glenn the 5200 man conversions.

That's odd.  Their Mario Bros still has the # and * from the 5200 version on the title screen.  Is there a version that has Option and Select instead?  I assume this is just a hack.

http://www.atarimania.com/detail_soft.php?...FT_LIB&SENS=ASC

Tempest

It a 5200 conversion. control-g will tell you on many glenn the 5200 man conversions.
Hmmm it does have good sound. Wonder if it the fixed version I posted here somewhere or if someone else fixed the sound.

So who has the 8-bit Mario Bros prototype? It's listed in various places, someone must have it. Anyone ever seen it?

Cartridges of both are definitely known to exist.

Whether they were production releases is doubtful. However, the same could have been said of Matterhorn until fairly recently.

Hmm... I wonder if I should include them on my page or not. Like you said, they could just be very rare. Tough call...

Tempest

Hi,

More information on some of the titles mentioned...

The game itself looks EXACTLY the same as the early disk release (the later disk version features music by Paradise Programming and an additional intro screen).

Da Fuzz

The very few cartridges that exist are probably pre-production copies sent to magazines. If you want to investigate further, it would be nice to know what happened to Rockball and Eyes.

Lettor Tutor

I have this one but it seems a little buggy. Maybe more recent protos exist?

Lifespan (cartridge version)

I just added the game to our page. Be sure to read the manual (it's on the backside of the official Antic disk release) and the featured articles.

IIRC, Lifespan was never published because Roklan went out of business. It seems author John O'Neill also tried to set up a company called Trapeze but ran into problems. Antic later picked up Lifespan and the game made it to disk.

Is the selection screen any different than the 5200 hack? Wouldn't it be very similar to the Moon Patrol screen?

100% the same as the official disk version released by Parker Brothers.

Released on cartridge by Parker Brothers Canada - http://www.atariage.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=21200 - and on disk by Parker Brothers US as a C64/Atari "flippy".

Tutankham

Binaries of these have been floating around for ages so they shouldn't be difficult to locate. IIRC, there are two versions for Tutankham with different color schemes. The box of the game appears in one of the company's ads.

--

Atari Frog

http://www.atarimania.com

More information on some of the titles mentioned...

Quote:

The game itself looks EXACTLY the same as the early disk release (the later disk version features music by Paradise Programming and an additional intro screen).

So I assume the cartridge version was a prelease.

Quote:

Da Fuzz

The very few cartridges that exist are probably pre-production copies sent to magazines. If you want to investigate further, it would be nice to know what happened to Rockball and Eyes.

It's so hard to tell with these later 8-bit releases. I find it hard to believe that a cartridge complete with production label would only be sent to magazines. Then again, who knows? I guess we can count this one as a prototype.

So what do you think about Matterhorn? Very rare game or pre-release?

Quote:

Lettor Tutor

I have this one but it seems a little buggy. Maybe more recent protos exist?

Doubt it. I think the B&C version is the only one known to exist. Do you have the rom?

Quote:

Lifespan (cartridge version)

I just added the game to our page. Be sure to read the manual (it's on the backside of the official Antic disk release) and the featured articles.

IIRC, Lifespan was never published because Roklan went out of business. It seems author John O'Neill also tried to set up a company called Trapeze but ran into problems. Antic later picked up Lifespan and the game made it to disk.

I found some instructions in the review, but do you have the real set of instructions?

Quote:

Is the selection screen any different than the 5200 hack? Wouldn't it be very similar to the Moon Patrol screen?

We'll I'll be damned! I never noticed the 8-bit version of Moon Patrol had the * and # on the title screen. I wonder why they never bothered to change it?

Quote:

Tutankham

Binaries of these have been floating around for ages so they shouldn't be difficult to locate. IIRC, there are two versions for Tutankham with different color schemes. The box of the game appears in one of the company's ads.

I found the Tutankham roms, but I can't find the The Final Legacy or Track & Field roms.

Tempest

So I assume the cartridge version was a prelease.

I believe Datamost just changed their mind. The company only ever released disks but the manual has loading instructions for cartridge (if that can help you).

It's so hard to tell with these later 8-bit releases. I find it hard to believe that a cartridge complete with production label would only be sent to magazines. Then again, who knows? I guess we can count this one as a prototype.

Too bad nobody ever archived eBay auctions for pictures and additional info... I remember an auction for a Da' Fuzz cartridge once but I completely forgot about any other details...

So what do you think about Matterhorn? Very rare game or pre-release?

I think some people have the game with box and manual. IMO, it was released in tiny, tiny quantities just before Tigervision went bust, maybe to recoup some of the production costs... IIRC, Tigervision had the rights to other arcade games so there may be more A8 protos or WIP (considering Matterhorn seems to be complete).

Doubt it. I think the B&C version is the only one known to exist.  Do you have the rom [Letter Tutor]?

I have the cart but no way to dump it for the moment.

I found some instructions in the review, but do you have the real set of instructions?

You can check the official Antic release on our page, it's on the second side of the disk. If I find the time, I'll extract the text file and edit it.

--

Atari Frog

http://www.atarimania.com

Matt

I have a

Activision, Inc.

ExplorerTM

CONFIDENTIAL

5/29/84 AHC

And

1983 Activision, Inc.

Zenji TM AHC

Confidential

12/28/83

But not way to dump

Know anyone in Cal (bay area) that could dump them?

FND

Matt

I have a  

Activision, Inc.

ExplorerTM

CONFIDENTIAL

5/29/84    AHC

And

1983  Activision, Inc.

Zenji  TM   AHC

Confidential

12/28/83

But not way to dump

FND

Have you opened them, I bet they are socketed and you can just read the EPROM's in on your burner?

Matt

I have a  

Activision, Inc.

ExplorerTM

CONFIDENTIAL

5/29/84    AHC

And

1983  Activision, Inc.

Zenji  TM   AHC

Confidential

12/28/83

But not way to dump

FND

Have you opened them, I bet they are socketed and you can just read the EPROM's in on your burner?

Opened the Explorer and I don't think it is soldered but does not have the

typical black plastic base, looks like it is pushed down into the board with

some special gold colored caps on the individual pins, really don't want to

try and pull the EPROM for fear of damage.

Also after opening the case I notice the EPROM has a different date on the

sticker it reads

ExplorerTM

Activision

6/1/84 Ver 16 AHC

Matt

I have a  

Activision, Inc.

ExplorerTM

CONFIDENTIAL

5/29/84    AHC

And

1983  Activision, Inc.

Zenji  TM   AHC

Confidential

12/28/83

But not way to dump

FND

Opened the Explorer and I don't think it is soldered but does not have the

typical black plastic base, looks like it is pushed down into the board with

some special gold colored caps on the individual pins, really don't want to

try and pull the EPROM for fear of damage.

Also after opening the case I notice the EPROM has a different date on the

sticker it reads

ExplorerTM

Activision

6/1/84 Ver 16 AHC

You should be able to lift the EPROM out of the low-profile pin sockets the same way you would with a normal socket. I have done it on 5200 carts many times.

Interesting about the different date.

As regards Matterhorn, the example that Callipygous recently acquired had a Teldec sticker on the rear of the cart.

The combination of that, plus the high quality labels on the known carts (except mine, which has almost no end label), and the seemingly complete nature of the game (although I've yet to finish it), suggests that it was, indeed, a commercial release.

I've never seen a retail box for this one, although I strongly suspect that it exists. There is even stronger evidence for a commercial release of Espial, although there are fewer "known" carts. A picture was posted of a shrinkwrapped Espial (together with a loose Matterhorn, unbelievably!) in the 8-bit forum a while back.

As regards Matterhorn, the example that Callipygous recently acquired had a Teldec sticker on the rear of the cart.

He got it from a german seller.

Matterhorn and Springer carts were definitively sold at some places in Germany. The guy I purchased my Matterhorn cart (also with Teldec-label) from even told me that he had thrown away the box and manual of the game soon after he got it from a store in München (Munich) :sad: Interestingly, he never has/had seen Espial for sale.

The Espial cart I own comes from the US.

I would dare to say that these games have been sold officially, although in small quantities and presumably at different places in the world.

• 3 weeks later...

He got it from a german seller.

Matterhorn and Springer carts were definitively sold at some places in Germany. The guy I purchased my Matterhorn cart (also with Teldec-label) from even told me that he had thrown away the box and manual of the game soon after he got it from a store in München (Munich) :sad: Interestingly, he never has/had seen Espial for sale.

The Espial cart I own comes from the US.

I would dare to say that these games have been sold officially, although in small quantities and presumably at different places in the world.

I've now heard from at least three sources of Espial having been offered for retail sale in the US, but I have not heard any reports of it being sold elsewhere. Although I would be very happy to hear of such reports; and of anyone who wants to sell one!