IGNORED

Berzerk Never Ends!

StanJr

I sat down to play this the other night, just for kicks. Well, I got in a groove and ended up playing for two hours. I scored well over 100,000 pts but there was no sign of the game ending. The difficulty had obviously maxed around 25,000. Does this thing end? What does the score flip at? What possessed me to spend that much time on Berzerk?

Berzerker Stan

Now that we're talking about it I've always wondered how hard it would be (or if it would even be possible) to modify/hack 2600 Berzerk to get the Robots to shoot diagonally. 2600 Berzerk's biggest letdown was always that it was waaaay too easy because of that one handicap the poor robots had. You could always shoot them diagonally and they didn't have a chance unlike in the coin-op.

However I'd imagine that if the programmers could have gotten the robots to shoot diagonally, they would have. So perhaps it was a necessary drawback to get the game ported at all. Whad'ya all think?

quote:

Originally posted by NE146:

Well if you played that long I hope you at least played either game 3, 6, or 9 so that Evil Otto is there and invincible the way he's supposed to be

Is Evil Otto the smiley face that tracks the player down to eletrify him? I also wondered what the smiley face was about, this sheds some information about it

quote:

Berzerker Stan

Reminds me of that scene from Clerks.. anyone else remember BEZERKER?

Anyway onto topic.. I feel that if it as possible, they would have worked diagonal shooting into the game, and that its a small flaw on a rather good port. Maybe a code shark out there might know the limits more.. im not an expert.

quote:

Originally posted by StanJr:

Well, yeah. I mean what fun is there playing Game 1? Otto is the cat that makes the game worth playing. I think I was playing 3 or 6. To tell the truth it had been so long I couldn't remember.

Man, Otto doesn't even appear in game 1??? What's with that!? I can't even imagine this game being remotely difficult without Otto, much less with him not indestructible.

As for diagonal shots, I always thought the "diagonals" that your player could shoot at were worthless anyways...

And it looks like I am the only High Atarian now ... well, until Stan gets another post or two anyways...

--Zero

I always thought the "diagonals" that your player could shoot at were worthless anyways...  

What?! are you kidding me? Those are the best (and safest) shots to take in 2600 Berzerk. Man... at my peak I could nail a robot across the screen with a diagonal lickety split.

Which reminds me, after mastering the game to the n'th degree, I then went to play the coin-op and got SLAUGHTERED... by diagonal shots. aaaah memories

Well, talking of slaughtered, Berzerk, of course, is famous for being related to the first confirmed death while playing videogames, some guy just shuffled off his mortal coil mid game in the early 80s.

What made it worse I suppose was the machine would have been sitting there crying out "Ha Ha humanoid!!" sick

I always liked the 2600 version of Berzerk, but I was always disappointed with it because it didn't have any speech. I always loved to hear "Intruder alert!" and "Fight like a robot!" when I played it in the arcades. But with the 2600's limitations, I guess it's impossible to have that much speech in a game on that system.