Photo

Activision Prototypes Released!

20 replies to this topic

#1 Albert OFFLINE  

Albert

Greetings, Avatar!

• 30,482 posts

Posted Sat Jan 1, 2005 10:53 PM

/images/news/activision_protos.jpgThanks to our friends at Activision, Thomas Jentzsch, and Matt Reichert, we are proud to make available the binaries for several unreleased Activision games and demos. The Venetian Blinds Demo is a graphics technology demo, Bloody Human Freeway is a version of Freeway that was never released, and then Unknown Game #1 and Unknown Game #2 are two original games that were never saw the light of day. We've put together a page detailing all the games here. Matt Reichert of AtariProtos.com has written up a brief description of each prototype, and links are provided to the full review of each game on his site. Thomas Jentzsch converted each of the NTSC prototypes to PAL, allowing everyone to enjoy these games. Enjoy and Happy New Year!

#2 SteveW OFFLINE  

SteveW

Quadrunner

• 6,240 posts

Posted Sat Jan 1, 2005 11:06 PM

Wow, Wings being released today, and now these! I hope the rest of the year is this good. I'd love to see more prototype ROMs being released on a regular basis.

#3 sandmountainslim OFFLINE  

sandmountainslim

Vicar of Fonz

• 5,614 posts
  • Climber 5 Champion since Jan 2005

Posted Sat Jan 1, 2005 11:06 PM

Look like cool games especially unknown #2, Any chance of coming out as cartridges anytime soon?
SMS

#4 Cootster OFFLINE  

Cootster

Stargunner

• 1,017 posts

Posted Sat Jan 1, 2005 11:46 PM

I was hoping for something that wasn't already on the Anthology I own on three platforms . . . Unknown 2 is cool, though.

#5 pmpddytim OFFLINE  

pmpddytim

River Patroller

• 2,257 posts

Posted Sun Jan 2, 2005 12:52 AM

Thanks for the cool goodies Activision, and everyone else involved! Cant wait to try these out on real harware with my KK.

#6 Mock OFFLINE  

Mock

River Patroller

• 2,319 posts

Posted Sun Jan 2, 2005 1:02 AM

I think this is very cool! Totally against the "trend" of today...Activision just gained a lot of respect from me...two thumbs up! Maybe this will show Infogrames how things should be done.

:D

#7 Mindfield OFFLINE  

Mindfield

Quadrunner

• 7,722 posts
  • Giggity

Posted Sun Jan 2, 2005 1:55 AM

Cool! These were on the Activision Anthology Remix, but it's nice to have actual BINs of 'em. Maybe I can burn these to a CD and play 'em thru the Supercharger for that real hardware experience.

#8 bjk7382 OFFLINE  

bjk7382

River Patroller

• 4,577 posts

Posted Sun Jan 2, 2005 1:58 AM

I already had these thanks to some very kind unnamed people 8)

But it is good to see these released publicly :)

On a side note for the people trying these on real hardware that Unknown #2 will roll on some tv's.

#9 SS OFFLINE  

SS

Quadrunner

• 5,452 posts

Posted Sun Jan 2, 2005 2:38 AM

I already had these thanks to some very kind unnamed people 8)

Well I didn't and am really glad for the opportunity to add these to my CC2. I'm such a geek, I know, but I've actually really wanted to see the "Venetian Blinds" demo running on real hardware.

Many thanks to AA, Matt, Thomas, and (most especially) Activision for releasing these!

#10 Mayhem OFFLINE  

Mayhem

River Patroller

• 4,042 posts
  • Commodore Chaos Knight

Posted Sun Jan 2, 2005 9:47 AM

Contacts, contacts you see ;)

(yes I've had them ages too)

But the PAL conversions is a nice thing, so now I can actually see them running with (almost) proper colours on the CC2 instead of relying on Z26 instead to see what they should look like.

#11 foxglove9 OFFLINE  

foxglove9

Moonsweeper

• 287 posts

Posted Sun Jan 2, 2005 9:56 AM

A nice gift from activision for the new year!

#12 stephena OFFLINE  

stephena

River Patroller

• 2,535 posts
  • Stella maintainer

Posted Sun Jan 2, 2005 10:08 AM

Just an FYI. All these new games/demos work without modification on the latest version of Stella (1.4.1).

Steve

#13 Rob Mitchell OFFLINE  

Rob Mitchell

River Patroller

• 2,728 posts

Posted Sun Jan 2, 2005 4:12 PM

Umm Wow! Thanks to everyone involved! The only name that was not mentioned is that of Ken Love of Activision. Was he involved in this release?

Rob Mitchell, Atlanta, GA

#14 Rob Mitchell OFFLINE  

Rob Mitchell

River Patroller

• 2,728 posts

Posted Sun Jan 2, 2005 4:26 PM

Who found the unknown prototypes and what kinda "salvage yard" were they found?

#15 Tempest OFFLINE  

Tempest

Your Imperious Leader

• 23,131 posts

Posted Sun Jan 2, 2005 9:01 PM

Who found the unknown prototypes and what kinda "salvage yard" were they found?

You know, it's been so long that I don't remember. I never got a clear explaination on what a "salvage yard" really meant.

Tempest

#16 Rob Mitchell OFFLINE  

Rob Mitchell

River Patroller

• 2,728 posts

Posted Mon Jan 3, 2005 1:16 PM

With regard to Unknown Proto #1:

Game 3 seems to be a practice mode which allows you to get used to how the color tiles move. (There must be a formula to describe this function.)

Game 4: Is it just an attract mode or is the AI attempting to solve the puzzle? I was thinking of letting it run all night and see what it comes up with.

Salvage yard: Where dead electronics are thrown? How ever did the finder recognize it as a 2600 game? He reached in amongst the piles of crap and ... "Voila! Ereka! I think I'll plug this into my Atari 2600!"

#17 Tempest OFFLINE  

Tempest

Your Imperious Leader

• 23,131 posts

Posted Mon Jan 3, 2005 1:19 PM

Game 3 seems to be a practice mode which allows you to get used to how the color tiles move. (There must be a formula to describe this function.)  

Could be. I just assumed it was incomplete. If you notice, it has a score counter unlike the other Games.

Game 4: Is it just an attract mode or is the AI attempting to solve the puzzle? I was thinking of letting it run all night and see what it comes up with.

Try that and let me know. IIRC I let it sit for 5 or 10 min and it never solved the thing. I assumed it was some kind of non-stop demo.

Tempest

#18 Godzilla OFFLINE  

Godzilla

Quadrunner

• 6,775 posts

Posted Mon Jan 3, 2005 5:20 PM

just wanted to quickly say THANKS for these! Awesome!

#19 SS OFFLINE  

SS

Quadrunner

• 5,452 posts

Posted Mon Jan 3, 2005 8:26 PM

I let it sit for 5 or 10 min and it never solved the thing.

Looks like a demo mode to me. It doesn't seem any less random in the piece movements than I tend to be when actually trying to play the game. :roll:

#20 moycon OFFLINE  

moycon

Quadrunner

• 21,418 posts
  • moycon?? What the hell is that??

Posted Mon Jan 10, 2005 6:34 AM

Just got around to really reading up on these new discoveries at Tempest's website.
I swear he's got the coolest website (outside of AA of course)
Thanks for keeping on top of the protos Matt, Ive read some of the reviews a half dozen times over the years and it never get old.

#21 Tempest OFFLINE  

Tempest

Your Imperious Leader

• 23,131 posts

Posted Wed Jan 12, 2005 11:07 AM

Thanks for the kind words. I really appreciate it.

Speaking of old reviews, I'm in the process of revamping some of the first reviews I did. Originally I tried to keep them to three paragraphs or less, but now I'm going back and fleshing them out a bit. Don't be surprised if you see some of them get updated in the near feature.

Tempest

0 user(s) are browsing this forum

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users