IGNORED

"Vintage" apple computer question

tiggerthehun

I used to have an old apple computer - I'm guessing it was around '82ish? Anyway, the whole unit was self contained - except for the keyboard, of course. It had a black and white monitor and was in a white casing. I couldn't find any pictures of it on the net - too much Apple II stuff. Anyone know what it was?

Thanks!

I used to have an old apple computer - I'm guessing it was around '82ish? Anyway, the whole unit was self contained - except for the keyboard, of course. It had a black and white monitor and was in a white casing. I couldn't find any pictures of it on the net - too much Apple II stuff. Anyone know what it was?

Thanks!

Hearing any Mac referred to as "vintage" just made me feel really, really old.

To me, the whole Mac line is still the Apple II's more conservative little brother.

(Or sister, depending on your view of the Mac.)

I used that Mac in college for word processing. It's the only Mac I've ever used.

I love how that site talks about the drop in price to the more affordable $2495. I guess that's why my parents bought me an 800XL in 1984 when I said I wanted a computer. Incidently, don't Macs today still cost about the same?

I also love this from the site.

The first Atari microcomputers Atari 400 and 800 came on the market. They offered 8 Kb RAM (expandable to 48 Kb), a full Keyboard and a Sound and Graphics chips that were designed by Joy Miner.

Incidently, don't Macs today still cost about the same?

A top-of-the-line Mac with a decent Apple-branded monitor will still run you in the neighborhood of $2000-$2500, yes. However, some iMac models run under $1000, and rumor has it that a sub-$500 (monitorless) Mac will be introduced in 2005.

• 2 weeks later...
A top-of-the-line Mac with a decent Apple-branded monitor will still run you in the neighborhood of $2000-$2500

$2500? What are you smoking? Top of the line Apple with a monitor will run you $3500-$4000. I priced it all out when I was getting my PC. My top of the line PC cost $2500 but only because I ended up getting 37% off it.

Tempest

Are we talking TOP TOP TOP of the line?

You can get ridiculous if you want to...

crazymac.gif

But let's be realistic. I do Pro Tools recording, video editing, Photoshop, whathaveyou, and the standard iMac with DVD burner is just fine for my needs. (In fact, would be oustanding for me, since I have the old "hemisphere" model with an 800 MHz G4, not the new one with 1.8 GHz G5.) Price (excluding a <$100 RAM upgrade from http://www.ramjet.com): $1499.

Dude, I was at the Apple Store at the Mall of America tonight, and I saw the 30-inch LCD.

SWEEEEEEEET!!!!

If you see it, you have to have it. Sure, they're $3000 bucks (and yes, that quoted price includes TWO of them), but... well... you just gotta have it!

Dude, I was at the Apple Store at the Mall of America tonight, and I saw the 30-inch LCD.

SWEEEEEEEET!!!!

If you see it, you have to have it. Sure, they're $3000 bucks (and yes, that quoted price includes TWO of them), but... well... you just gotta have it!

Yeah, when I look at the 20" tv and the 17" LCD I have in my room I have a hard time thinking of an LCD like mine bigger than my tv :)

SWEEEEEEEET!!!!

well, I came in direct face-to-screen contact with one of those things at Micro Center. Wow. It is very nice. I wouldn't mind having one, but I'd have no place to put it, not to mention all the money needed.

$499 for the mac mini is doable for me.. almost.. I can't put out any money untill after the wedding. but my question is this.. are mac monitors properitary? I meen I have a mac performa 630cd here and the monitor is pretty much..MAC only. well.. it doesn't say macintosh.. but the cord is defintly not VGA, so I can't use it for anything else.. of course..its only 17 inches.. and I'm useing 20 inch monitors everywhere else.. so I'm not heartbroken.

now.. I'm going to have to take a picture of my Mac model# M001 tomorow in the daylight.. my wecam is for shit with artificial light.

amazingly enough.. this M001 is fully functional except a eject problem with the internal floppy drive.. but I also have a second external. so thats okay.

I just wonder if I could hunt down vintage software for this guy on the net..and if I do.. how would I get it on there.. this thing reads floppys for external programs.. how do I write disks for it with my PC?

$499 for the mac mini is doable for me.. almost.. I can't put out any money untill after the wedding. but my question is this.. are mac monitors properitary?

Not anymore. Almost nothing about the Mac is proprietary anymore except for the G5 chip and the actual motherboard design (they design their own boards). The components on the board, though, are the same as PC's except for the CPU.

Macs these days use the exact same graphics GPU's as PC's (there aren't as many available with Mac drivers, but the ones that do exist for Mac generally all exist for PC too, and it's mainly just a driver thing), and they just use either VGA or DVI outputs.

Older Macs had their own connector, if I recall.

Current Macs do not come with floppy drives systems anymore as floppies do not store a great deal of information. However it is possible to buy an external floppy drive for the Mac and Macs can write floppies than can be read by PCs. I have not checked in a while but the last time I remember checking I think external floppie drives were $400.

yeah...thats all what I figured this old mac monitor is wider than a standard VGA, oh well..that monitor is for the performa.. I wont worry about that much.

but as for macs and floppy..my question had nothing to do with current generation its the older ones..like this M001, or the performa.. I know theres emulation code for the computer itself.. but how do I grab the ROM image and drop it onto floppy from My PC, and still have it readable on the vintage Mac. I don't have a new mac.. so at this point.. I don't care about that

Current Macs do not come with floppy drives systems anymore as floppies do not store a great deal of information. However it is possible to buy an external floppy drive for the Mac and Macs can write floppies than can be read by PCs. I have not checked in a while but the last time I remember checking I think external floppie drives were $400.

You don't need a floppy drive. Trust me.

Even mentioning that Macs don't come with floppy drives anymore is akin to lamenting the fact that cell phones don't have rotary dials.

:roll: