IGNORED

What are these?

Alex

Many of you have seen these pirate carts before, but does anyone know who made them or where they were sold? I believe they're NTSC, made in Taiwan, and sold in North America (exclusively in Canada?). Does anyone have any additional or different info? I've seen some sellers on eBay who appear to have large stocks of these, anyone know where they got them? We're not sure under what name we're going to list these yet.

Finally, these are the only four I have available to scan right now, we would welcome more scans or pictures of other titles in this style with the "New" blurb. I've seen "Demond Attack" and "Air Wolf", so we'll also be adding those although I don't have high quality scans. Please note these are different from the StarSoft titles that are in PAL/German without the "New".

Unknown pirate games:

quote:

Originally posted by Alex:

I believe they're NTSC, made in Taiwan, and sold in North America (exclusively in Canada?).

They were sold in the US also. I bought a few at a little store in Elizabeth NJ while I was on a lunch break from jury duty. It's the kind of store that could be found everywhere in Manhattan, tourist traps where they sell all kinds of electronics.

I can't remember what year I bought them, whether it was before 1984 or afterwards.

I have "Spider" and "Boxing" both are in bright green boxes. They are the exact same style as the ones you have. Same cheesy labels. On the back are a couple of lines of instructions and a screen shot. They both have price tags on them, but, if you don't mind that I'll scan them for you. Just email me or post a reply.

We'd prefer the front and back of the box, and the main and end label on the cartridge. AFAIK, these didn't come with a manual as the instructions were printed on the back of the box. 150dpi or higher. What you did would be fine at a higher resolution. Thanks!

For anyone curious, here is the list of games in this style that I have pictures of. I've indicated the titles I will be able to scan myself, any other scans will be welcome:

Air Wolf

Baseball

Bermuda

Bowling (have scan)

Boxing

Chess (have scan)

Demond Attack

Free Way

Frogger

Ice Hockey (have scan)

Mr. Postman

Paris Attack

Pele's Soccer

Pitfall

Popeye

Puzzled World (have scan)

Sea Quest

See Saw

S.O.S.

Spider

There are probably more...

Alex

I sent the scans to you in 2(maybe 3)emails. I may have sent one of the emails twice.

I had to send them in jpg format since I seem to have problems emailing files over 1 meg or so. I scanned them in at 500 dpi and saved the file at the highest quality for jpg that I could.

If these scans are ok, I will do the same thing with the other pirate cart and box, "Spider".

Here's a scan for Donkey Kong and Enduro

http://www.atari2600.net/aspDisplayPicture...rateDKFront.jpg

http://www.atari2600.net/aspDisplayPicture...EnduroFront.jpg

By the way I just bought 8 boxed Taiwan carts that look identical to these from a woman in the UK. The carts and boxes are identical. The games were:

superman

football

motocross

astra war

cobra 104

space robot

air wolf

While in Australia I managed to find several copies of "CRACKER PET": Crack Pots with the Activision in-game logo removed. The label is actually a pretty cool dragon sticker. End label is standard white block on black face. The quality of the cart looks similar to the scans posted here.

I'm assuming it is from somewhere in Asia originally, because I found them with some 2600 clone systems from Taiwan (?maybe?). I'll post scans of these once I get back to Chicago for X-mas...Cool name regardless...

Cosmic Joke - Got the Boxing, we'll be adding that tonight. I already received Spider, so I don't need that one any more.

Joel - Thanks, we will add Donkey Kong and Enduro. If you get a chance to scan any others on the list, that would be great.

AtariKari - I've seen Cracker Pet before, but I don't know what company it came from. A box would help, it's almost impossible to tell with loose carts in that style because there were so many pirates.

Here is our list online:

Taiwanese Pirates

So it seems this style was sold in the UK and in North America. We'll be dumping some of the carts we have online to see what video format they are.

These Taiwan carts do indeed use the Cooper Black font on the end labels. However, they're totally different from the Zellers carts which use a non-serif font and have different packaging (and different titles as well). The cart cases are also different between these and Zellers.

So, it might be accurate to call them Cooper Black, but there may be other pirate carts that use Cooper Black with totally different packaging (and maybe a different origin) so I don't know if that's a good solution. The only thing we know is they were made in Taiwan and sold in minor stores.

Here is another: Space Tunnel.

In 14 years of collecting I've only ever come across 3 of these "Cooper Black's" in the wild here in Canada...and they were all together. This makes me think they may not have been sold here.

I've emailed a larger bmp to the editor addy.

Space Tunnel

[ 11-26-2001: Message edited by: Lost Monkey ]