IGNORED

Gravitar frustration

utamav91

Is this game as hard as I make it out to be, or does everyone crash anytime they get near the cliffs? Also, was this one of the Atari Age exclusive games?

I've heard it's supposed to be sorta rare, but it's worthless if you can't play it very well. Oh well, might serve as a good coaster or paperweight...

It's difficult to control, but it gets easier with practice. Try not to thrust for too long, or you won't be able to stop yourself in time... and as soon as you enter a level, point yourself up and thrust so that you don't slam into the ground right away. Once you reach an "equilibrium" where you sort of hang in the air, keep this going and point yourself up-left and up-right while thrusting slightly to move around. Make sure that when you turn to shoot enemies, that you have enough upwards momentum that you can actually make the turn without crashing.

As for rarity... I don't think Gravitar is all that rare. However, if you have the silver label version, it's extremely rare! This game was an exclusive for a short while (the silver label was what you got), but Atari eventually released it along with it's other games in a red label.

--Zero

I am still having trouble with Gravitar. It is very hard to get used to the controls. I try not to thrust at all and just drift with the gravity until I get near the surface, then I try to thrust away from the ground (this never works, but its the best I can do) Try it on the levels where the turrets don't shoot, that way you can concentrate on flying.

Gravistan

I'll have to try this on the 2600, I don't think I've ever played it for more than a few minutes. I have the actual Gravitar arcade game and trust me, it's a pretty difficult game. Good luck on the invisible levels.. So if the 2600 version is hard, it's only following in its daddy's footsteps. Does the 2600 version have reverse gravity and invisible levels?

..Al

Yes! the VCS Gravitar has both of these levels. I would think the reverse gravity galaxies would be easier. But the Dark galaxies are probably murder.

Of course, I wouldn't know, I have only been to the second galaxy once and was killed by the enemy ship before I could get to a planet.

maybe some day....

quote:

Originally posted by StanJr:

I am still having trouble with Gravitar. It is very hard to get used to the controls. I try not to thrust at all and just drift with the gravity until I get near the surface, then I try to thrust away from the ground (this never works, but its the best I can do)

Perhaps you should try THRUST in rookie-mode

If you're having trouble with the game's gravity, I suggest game # 5.

On setting 5, there is no gravity effect whatsoever. It makes it easy to practice and you get a generous supply of ships. Blasting out the alien base core is still difficult, but at least the cliff planet levels are easier.

The secret to succeeding at this game is to thrust lightly, use your shields when encountering a barrage of bullets, and to pick up only the fuel cells in easily accessible places.

This is one of my 2600 favorites.