IGNORED

HSC Season 2 Week 3: Spider Fighter

Ze_ro

My score is now 67,790.

TIP: when things get fast, especially when protecting the bananas move from one end of the screen to the other while shooting. You will notice that the enemy fire comes down at an angle as they move across the screen. If you move away from the closest enemy fire in the strafe towards the open end and back again you will miss the enemy fire quite often.

TIP: hit the red spies first, when possible, as it will stop the formation of new enemies.

TIP: look at Stan's tips, not mine. :P

I've found that it is much easier to just sit on the left hand side and shoot for the nest when it first appears. As Stan said you can't sit there like a rock and shoot in one place. You're going to have to move to avoid some enemy fire, but again it's best to just kill 'em when the first show up on the left side. It's still not really that easy for me so I'm still amazed at the 900,000 scores. Hopefully I can make over 100k, but it won't be this morning. Going to bed. :sleep:

I had no idea it was a typo.  I guess even the best of the best make mistakes.  At any rate, here's my first entry.

So I guess everyone's playing on Easy difficulty then? I had a feeling there was something weird going on with that, but lots of companies did stupid things with the difficulty switches, so figured I'd just go with it.

So....what, exactly are the switches supposed to be set at? Left: B, Right: A?

Because everyone played already, Ze_ro as stated before said "Oh well" to being set on B. So, we are playing on difficulty B. I know its confusing, but the sears and atari models are exactly the same, both switches act the same. So, we are playing b/a.

Because everyone played already, Ze_ro as stated before said "Oh well" to being set on B. So, we are playing on difficulty B. I know its confusing, but the sears and atari models are exactly the same, both switches act the same. So, we are playing b/a.

I'm hopelessly confused. I'm playing on my 7800, what should my switches be set to? I set them to left player, 'left' and right player 'right'. Is this correct?

I noticed there is 2 versions of the game: 16k and 4k does it matter which version is used?

Well, the rom I have is 4k, so I guess go with that one. I'm not aware of any alternate versions of this game (and certainly none that would require four times as much memory)... perhaps the 16k Spider Fighter is a different game entirely? If anyone knows more about this, please let us know.

As for the difficulty switches, yes, we are playing the novice game with straight missiles. Normal Atari 2600's should have their difficulty switches labelled with "A" and "B" positions, so you'd set the left switch to the "B" position, and the right switch to the "A" position... Some systems (such as the Sears Video Arcade I believe) have their difficulty switches labelled "Novice" and "Expert", so you'd set the left switch to "Novice" and the right switch to "Expert". I'm not sure how the switches are labelled on the Atari 7800, so you might want to take a close look at the switches, or read the system manual or something.

As for emulators, I know that Stella uses the following controls:

• F6 - Set Left Difficulty Switch to "A"

[*]F7 - Set Left Difficulty Switch to "B"

[*]F8 - Set Right Difficulty Switch to "A"

[*]F9 - Set Right Difficulty Switch to "B"

Unfortunately, it seems Z26 uses the exact opposite:

• F6 - Set Left Difficulty Switch to "B"

[*]F7 - Set Left Difficulty Switch to "A"

[*]F8 - Set Right Difficulty Switch to "B"

[*]F9 - Set Right Difficulty Switch to "A"

Both emulators seem to set both switches to "B" by default, so you'll have to change the right switch to "A" every time you start the game up.

If you STILL can't figure out what's going on, then watch the demo while you fiddle with the F-keys in order to get the straight missiles. I hope that clears things up.

--Zero