IGNORED

Shooting Gallery and Telepathy

Tempest

I was just playing around with Shooting Gallery and Telepathy on my cuttle cart, and was plesently surprised at how much fun they are.

Shooting Gallery is very impressive for a 2600 game with great music and a fun shooting challenge, the only problem is the gun accurracy makes the game virtually impossible to play. The gun is way off most of the time, could this be why it was canceled?

Telepathy is awesome, but has anyone gotten past the fireballs? They shoot way too fast (lightning speed comes to mind).

Tempest

quote:

Originally posted by Tempest:

Telepathy is awesome, but has anyone gotten past the fireballs? They shoot way too fast (lightning speed comes to mind).

Agreed... Telepathy is one of my favorite of the prototype games. I'll have to get Hozer to whip me up a copy of this game someday (I wonder if it would have been as much (more?) fun with an actual mindlink controller).

Alas, I haven't been able to pass the fireballs either. I think the secret is to wait until it fires, and then jump right afterwards before it gets a chance for another to fire... but it's still damn hard!

--Zero

I've gotten up to level 7 (which is exactly the same as level 6). The first level with the fireball ledges (4?) is tough, but after that, the ledges move back-and-forth between the sides! Plus, a new screen is added, which is like the "elevators" screen, except you have to avoid these "push down" bars. The last screen ("fishes") gets a little harder, as more levels have fish swimming in them.

Although this game is designed for the Mindlink, and defaults to a paddle/mouse with the latest Z26 revs, it's much easier to play with a joystick IMHO.

That's what the programmer said

Just found something interesting in the code, while trying to hack the game (to make it easier). The name "ATARI" is coded as rather large graphics (larger than your character), but I've never seen them appear on the screen! And I have no idea how to make them appear. The locations are:

0d9e-0db9

0f88-0fdb

Sounds like another job for the code sleuths

(Btw, did you know there's a 'continue' feature? Just press RESET when your game ends to restart at the last level.)

I never knew about the continue feature, but I figured out a cool bug. Once you loose all your lives you can continue to play for a bit but you character is invisible. I have no idea what happens when you clear the river level since I can never do it invisible (and on level 4).

Tempest

I read somewhere that it's the atari computer lightgun itself which is inaccurate. If you buy a Best Electronics gun or build an adapter (see FAQ) for a SMS light phasor, they work pretty good.

I use a light phasor, seems ok but I don't have the Atari gun for comparison.

John

quote:

Originally posted by Scott Stilphen:

Although this game is designed for the Mindlink, and defaults to a paddle/mouse with the latest Z26 revs, it's much easier to play with a joystick IMHO.

The mouse/trackball is what we use to emulate the Mindlink controller in z26. Telepathy doesn't default to it. You can play it with the joystick too. It depends on which button you press to start the game after RESET. If you push the joystick button, you can control the game with the joystick, and if you press the mouse button, you can play the game with the simulated Mindlink controller.

Ciao, Eckhard Stolberg