IGNORED

Best Atari 8-bit DOS?

hunter44102

Interesting topic. Lots of good points of view.

What's the latest version of SDX that I can load from a floppy or .ATR? link?

Way back in the day.. say 1980-81, when I was hammering every day after school, writing games in Basic, there was a small dos utility that loaded under basic. meaning while in basic, I could call dos functions, copy, rename, delete, rename, lock, etc. directly without exiting to DOS 2.x. I got it from Softside or Compute! I think.

Do any of the DOS's mention above have this ability? If not, anyone know/remember this little utility, and where I might find it, or some such?

Interesting topic. Lots of good points of view.

What's the latest version of SDX that I can load from a floppy or .ATR? link?

Way back in the day.. say 1980-81, when I was hammering every day after school, writing games in Basic, there was a small dos utility that loaded under basic. meaning while in basic, I could call dos functions, copy, rename, delete, rename, lock, etc. directly without exiting to DOS 2.x. I got it from Softside or Compute! I think.

Do any of the DOS's mention above have this ability? If not, anyone know/remember this little utility, and where I might find it, or some such?

I remember that utility, but since I eventually got Turbobasic I was able to quit using that utility. (i.e.) Turbobasic has them built in and also is a faster basic.

dos25tbatr.zip

There are seveal types of basic helper's.

This is the one I use to use a lot.

EXTbasic.zip

Text file instructions included.

EXTbasic.zip

Text file instructions included.

K-DOS, which looks like a decent command line DOS, is supposed to persist with BASIC and the Assembler Editor, allowing you to use DOS commands directly from these environments.

Does anyone have an image of the original disk? I haven't been able to find one. The only version I have found is on a boot disk that lets you select from multiple DOS systems, and it doesn't function with BASIC enabled when loading K-DOS from said disk.

Thanks,

Paul

K-DOS, which looks like a decent command line DOS, is supposed to persist with BASIC and the Assembler Editor, allowing you to use DOS commands directly from these environments.

Does anyone have an image of the original disk? I haven't been able to find one. The only version I have found is on a boot disk that lets you select from multiple DOS systems, and it doesn't function with BASIC enabled when loading K-DOS from said disk.

Thanks,

Paul

Is this it?

K-DOS.atr

Max file size is <180KB but who has files that big?

Myself. A hard drive allows you to archivize programs you don't use daily and have quick access to them, when needed, without searching through a thousand of floppies. Such archives can be as big as 500k. Also, "who needs more than 64 files per directory" (if anyone asks) is also easy to answer: SoftSynth is about 140 files...

Ramdisks are of little value if you have a PBI HDD, really.

That's what I always say. With a hard drive, 128k is sufficient most of the time, and 320k is enough for everything. And your computer can finally use the ext RAM for programs instead of wasting it for a virtual drive.

Thanks,

Paul

Is this it?

K-DOS.atr

Yes, thanks! I've been wanting to check this out for a while.

• 7 years later...

I love both preferities - MyDOS and SpartaDOS/SDX. :)

BUT!!!

There is hidden under the carpet DOS which has interesting capabilities:

1. Keystrocks driven like DOSXL, thus batchable

2. Modularity and flexibility

- If you need not any function you just not load driver

- If you want to try some function you may rename driver for multiple autoloading

- If you use some function frequently you just save DUP.SYS with loaded driver and it become embedded)

3. Very low MEMLO=$1E00

4. Dencities: SD,ED,DD,QD,65536/128

5. Subdirectories

6.Flexible RAMDISK - up to 1mb (and you can stay standard XE RAM untouched for some programs)

7. It inderstands some disk speeders like HAPPY or XF

8. It understands difference between current and system directories and may be reconfigured on the fly

9. and it can swap drives if needed

10. HELLO facility - like AUTOEXEC.BAT

F.E. HELLO, being written as

>S 8R;I 8;Y;

Sets D8: as Ramdisk, Initializes it and gives Y(es) as confirmation :)

I use it with XF551 and SIO2IDE.

It's just TOP-DOS Pro.

zen

• Like 1

Just recently I've had up and running a MyIDE interface.

The tools disks for this comes with MyDOS and the APE

stuff seems to favour MyDOS.

What I've come across though is that there is a file to folder

limit of 64 entries, so just being able to dump across a folder

or set of folders from an APE connected drive to an internal HD

isn't possible unless you organise you folders properly in advance.

Even them, I haven't found a recursive copier for MyDOS yet.

Does anyone have one?

Maybe I'll have a go at setting up an HD with SpartaDOS instead.

So a simplistic summary would be that MyDOS and SpartDOS

have an advantage over AtariDOSes due to the folder support.

Another consideration maybe to think in terms of helpful loader

menus. The newer (slimmer?) DOSes appear to support these well

but I don't have much experience of them.

Regards,

Mark

I have my MyIDE II set up with both MyDOS and SpartaDOS (using the SSDX cart and pass-thru, not SDX in MyIDE II memory) and I never use MyDOS, it works great with SpataDOS. I do still use the FAT loader on the MyBIOS side, as I haven't yet configured one for SpartaDOS X.

I just noticed how old this thread was...I thought it newer due to recent replies, so I thought I'd start reading from the top...

Edited by Gunstar

Quick reminder that I uploaded a 'DOS pack' containing the more unusual official Atari DOS versions (1,3,4,XE) in another thread a while back if anyone needs any of those: http://atariage.com/forums/topic/265709-need-a-dos-disk/?p=3766500

I also uploaded a 17Mb ZIP file containing all the disks from the old DGS PD library, which includes the DOS versions mixed in around the library. Also in there is one of my early offerings called DDS which was an attempt at a sort-of GEM rip-off which was more a simple graphical front-end to some of the TurboBasic DOS commands: http://atariage.com/forums/topic/268373-dgs-pd-library-the-whole-lot-to-download/

• Like 4