IGNORED

Original source code????

jeepnut24

I have a question that came to mind. Do we have any original source for 2600 atari games? There is a lot of talk about finding protos and semi-finished copies of games, yet very little on the original source code. To me it would be interesting to see some old kernels and how the old schoolers delt with the 2600 hardware. It seems to me that some of the source would be floating around out there. Maybe Im just crazy though. You can learn alot from others source code though. I seem to work better when I can print source out and make notes on it.

I have a question that came to mind. Do we have any original source for 2600 atari games?

Take a look at the AtariAge - Atari 2600 Programming page. There you will find a disassembly of Combat. Also you will see the original source code to Dragonfire that was transcribed by Bob Smith himself.

Alos take a look at the MiniDig. They might not be the original source code but they are disassemblies and are just as good...IMO.

Also Manuel has a list of recent disassemblies that were uploaded to [stella]. Unfortunately the archives are down at the moment so this is the only way to get them now :sad: The list I have consists of...

[Activision]

Kaboom!

Pitfall!

River Raid

Star Master

[Atari]

Adventure

Air-Sea Battle

Berzerk

Combat

Indy500

Outlaw

Solaris

Surround

[Coleco]

Donkey Kong

[imagic]...these are original sources transcribed

Dragonfire

Moonsweeper

Riddle of the Sphinx

[Tigervision]

Jawbreaker

[uS Games]

Space Jockey

Yeah, Ive seen the solaris source and combat source. Thanks for the links Debro. Disassembly is nice, I just thought it would be both entertaining and educational to see source for more of the classic titles. See how is they solved the problems of the 2600 differantly then than now. How they opptomized etc...

Yeah, Ive seen the solaris source and combat source. Thanks for the links Debro. Disassembly is nice, I just thought it would be both entertaining and educational to see source for more of the classic titles. See how is they solved the problems of the 2600 differantly then than now. How they opptomized etc...

I agree. This is why I started disassembling games. I thought it was interesting to see a form of Thomas' .skipDraw in Berzerk.

Dennis is being a little modest here...he comments disassemblies as a hobby, kind of like a cooler, geekier, and more productive version of doing a crossword puzzle. I haven't dived much into his work but it seems like he does a great job of it.

A well-commented disassembly would let you see how they solved problems and optimized...now the true source would probably have a lot of flavor of the original author that's been lost, in the sense of funny comments or observations, or comments that don't match what the code actually ends up doing, and possibly commented out functional sections. So you're right that it would be cooler...but don't totally discount disassemblies.

Frankly, despite coding a game, I'm still terrible at reading other people's source. Mostly because I have very week assembly skills, so even obvious half-tricks looks like rocket science to me.

Dennis is being a little modest here...he comments disassemblies as a hobby, kind of like a cooler, geekier, and more productive version of doing a crossword puzzle. I haven't dived much into his work but it seems like he does a great job of it.

A well-commented disassembly would let you see how they solved problems and optimized...now the true source would probably have a lot of flavor of the original author that's been lost, in the sense of funny comments or observations, or comments that don't match what the code actually ends up doing, and possibly commented out functional sections. So you're right that it would be cooler...but don't totally discount disassemblies.

Frankly, despite coding a game, I'm still terrible at reading other people's source. Mostly because I have very week assembly skills, so even obvious half-tricks looks like rocket science to me.

I wasn't trying to discount disassemblies at all. I just thought it would be interesting to see how they tackled the 2600 in the 80's. Thats all.

Hi there!

Also Manuel has a list of recent disassemblies that were uploaded to [stella].

My archive of source code for (31!) original games is still online :)

It's also always good to ask on stella if you're interested in a particular source, as someone might already have what you're looking for, even when it's not in this archive :wink:

Greetings,

Manuel

I wasn't trying to discount disassemblies at all. I just thought it would be interesting to see how they tackled the 2600 in the 80's. Thats all.

Aargh, I don't think you get my point...a well-commented dissablies LETS YOU SEE how they tackled the 2600 in the 80s. If someone has taken the time to figure out what all the code is doing, then we can see what solutions they used for the problems of that kind of programming.

Though for the reasons I mentioned, the "real" sourcecode would be cooler. But you seem to think there's some fundamental difference between the two, and there's not. You lose ROM and RAM location labels and comments ,that's all you lose.

Aargh, I don't think you get my point...a well-commented dissablies LETS YOU SEE how they tackled the 2600 in the 80s. If someone has taken the time to figure out what all the code is doing, then we can see what solutions they used for the problems of that kind of programming.

Though for the reasons I mentioned, the "real" sourcecode would be cooler. But you seem to think there's some fundamental difference between the two, and there's not. You lose ROM and RAM location labels and comments ,that's all you lose.

I don't really think there is a fundamental differance between the two. I just think it would be nice to see some of the original source along with notes and comments etc.. that go along with it. I guess more for the collector side than the programmer side is where Im viewing this.

I don't really think there is a fundamental differance between the two. I just think it would be nice to see some of the original source along with notes and comments etc.. that go along with it. I guess more for the collector side than the programmer side is where Im viewing this.

Ok, I agree with you to that extent...it's not to see how they solved the problems, but just to get a feel for their personalities in comments and labels and what not...

I don't know about you, but I feel there is a lot of personality in code and the comments that go with it. Sure we aren't talking about OO code with tons of line, english language variables and comments throughout, but you can still get a good idea. The collector side of me would love to see original notes and comments that go with the finished products. I come from a totally differant programming perspective than someone coding in the 80's.