IGNORED

Arcade games you would've made good 7800 releases.

Jonny_B

I think its a shame that they never released Gauntlet. The guy who programmed Jinks was supposedly working on Gauntlet, and he even threw in some audio clips from it in the Jinks startup screen. The limitation of his technique for playing voices on the 7800 is that it eats up all the CPU time, so you can't really animate the screen while playing the sound. But that fits perfectly with Gauntlet, because that game has some obvious pauses during a lot of the sounds anyway. The high sprite count also would have fit well with the 7800.

I'm not a huge Jinks fan as far as gameplay goes, but I think the programmer was quite talented. My guess is that if he had finished Gauntlet and been given an adequate ROM size to work with, it could have been an outstanding port. Released earlier, it could have even put a dent in the system wars.

I would like to have seen Star Castle released for ANY of the classic systems. It's one of my favorite early arcade games, and it never got ported to anything (other than the Colecovision homebrew Star Fortress).

It's on the Vectrex. Good version too...

I would like to have seen Star Castle released for ANY of the classic systems. It's one of my favorite early arcade games, and it never got ported to anything (other than the Colecovision homebrew Star Fortress).

It's on the Vectrex. Good version too...

Ahhh...forgot about that version. Still, it would be cool to see it on a classic Atari system.

Street Fighter 2 Alpha

Street Fighter 2 is indeed unrealistic.

So you don't think the 7800 is capable of that huh? :P

You know, both the NES and SMS had a version of Street Fighter 2 on their respective systems. C64 too! SMS had Mortal Kombat even! Granted there was a few characters and stages missing. Does anybody think it could have been pulled off on the 7800? Like if the 7800 was truly explored and had the larger memory carts been developed.

Street Fighter 2 Alpha

Street Fighter 2 is indeed unrealistic.

So you don't think the 7800 is capable of that huh? :P

You know, both the NES and SMS had a version of Street Fighter 2 on their respective systems. C64 too! SMS had Mortal Kombat even! Granted there was a few characters and stages missing. Does anybody think it could have been pulled off on the 7800? Like if the 7800 was truly explored and had the larger memory carts been developed.

Street Fighter 2 on the NES looks like shit, Plays like Shit, so...

• 8 months later...

Gauntlet (as opposed to Dark Chambers) would've been great on the 7800...

Space Dungeon could've been done, I have blueprints for a dual controller holder for the 7800 Proline sticks that is just like the 5200 dual controller holder, so Atari was planning quite a bit for the 7800, just kills me that all this great stuff just never made it.

I would've loved to have seen Toobin, Hard Driv'n, Steel Talon's and a lot of the later Atari Games coin-ops translated to the 7800 as they were on the Lynx, Battlezone, Gravitar, Tempest, Major Havoc couldve all been translated well on the 7800 as well.

Curt

I think its a shame that they never released Gauntlet.  The guy who programmed Jinks was supposedly working on Gauntlet, and he even threw in some audio clips from it in the Jinks startup screen.  The limitation of his technique for playing voices on the 7800 is that it eats up all the CPU time, so you can't really animate the screen while playing the sound.  But that fits perfectly with Gauntlet, because that game has some obvious pauses during a lot of the sounds anyway.  The high sprite count also would have fit well with the 7800.

I'm not a huge Jinks fan as far as gameplay goes, but I think the programmer was quite talented.  My guess is that if he had finished Gauntlet and been given an adequate ROM size to work with, it could have been an outstanding port.  Released earlier, it could have even put a dent in the system wars.

806811[/snapback]

Here's another one I forgot about until today when I decided to play my 5200 for a while: Space Dungeon. That game would rock on the 7800, especially where it can handle more sprites on the screen than the 5200.

808313[/snapback]

GOOD CALL!

Space Dungeon would be awesome on the 7800!

The hardware could definately accomodate a great port AND with double joystick support like Robotron has.

Also, i'd love to finally see a great port of Zaxxon (none of the console/computer ports do it justice - IMO) and how about getting Jumpman on a cartridge and Zookeeper once and for all, not to mention Phoenix :lust:

Bubble Bobble

Ghosts 'n Goblins

Lady Bug

Do! Run Run

Columns

Bionic Commando

Karnov

Pang/Buster Bros.

Space harrier

Contra

Jr. Pac-Man

Super Pac-Man

Pac-Mania

Rainbow Islands

Arkanoid (PADDLES!)

Athena

Bosconian

Cameltry (very fun maze game.. would be PERFECT use for the driving controls)

Crystal Castles (Trak-Ball support for CX22 and CX80)

Marble Madness (dual Trak-Ball support)

Defender

Defender II/Stargate

Dig Dug II

Bad Dudes VS Dragon Ninja

Frenzy

Berzerk

Space Dungeon

Gauntlet

Gauntlet II (is there anyway to do 4-players for these on a 7800?)

Frogger

Galaxian

Gradius (the original)

Karate Champ

Millipede

Missile Command (Trak-Ball for that and Millipede, anyone?)

Mr. Do!

Mr. Do!'s Castle

Rally-X

New Rally-X

Operation Wolf (if there was a way to fix the gun's accuracy)

Phoenix

Puyo Puyo

Q*Bert

Qix

Q*Bert'S Qubes

R-Type

Raiden

Rygar (though you could argue more for the NES version)

S.T.U.N. Runner

Satan's Hollow

Side-Pocket

Sinistar (BEWARE, COWARD! I am Sinistar..)

Snow Bros.

Solomon's Key

Super Pang/Super Buster Bros.

Zaxxon

Super Zaxxon

Wizard of Wor

Yie Ar Kung Fu

That's pretty much the list that I can create that are doable on the 7800.. I'd include "Smash TV".. but that's really a game meant for dual-joysticks for both players..