IGNORED

New Popeye Hack

Out_of_Gas

Just to be a bit closer to the Popeye characters, how about instead of monkeyes kidnapping Swee'pea, have the Sea Witch's vulchers or Alice the Goon and her Goons?

I second this entirely. That and the idea about the fruit being spinach.

The Popeye sprite is coming along EXTREMELY well. But what is on the back of his head? :? :? :?

• 4 years later...

A few more adjustments here. This is about as far as I can go.

I could not do is change the color of Swee' Pea on the title screen. I wanted it to be blue like the clothes he wears. I wanted the music to change to the Popeye theme. It is in the Parker Bros. Popeye game so it can be done.

I also want the walls to change color on the different screens as they do in the original Popeye. I just thought of that as I was typing.

Maybe someone else can continue this hack.

Popeye2.1.bin

Edited by Atari Dogs

A few more adjustments here. This is about as far as I can go.

I could not do is change the color of Swee' Pea on the title screen. I wanted it to be blue like the clothes he wears. I wanted the music to change to the Popeye theme. It is in the Parker Bros. Popeye game so it can be done.

I also want the walls to change color on the different screens as they do in the original Popeye. I just thought of that as I was typing.

Maybe someone else can continue this hack.

I tried to burn this to an eprom and no luck. I get the title screen then it just roles. Any ideas what is wrong?

Also, Popeye apparently can float. He does not fall when he comes to the edge of a step. Can anyone fix this?

Edited by Atari Dogs

• 2 weeks later...

Hi, Atari Dogs

Any chance you could just change the Kangaroo background to black, leaving the rest of that game intact, and post that ROM? I've always hated that blue background in Kangaroo.

Best of luck with the Popeye hack... looks good so far.

Hi, Atari Dogs

Any chance you could just change the Kangaroo background to black, leaving the rest of that game intact, and post that ROM? I've always hated that blue background in Kangaroo.

Here you go. I fixed the falling problem. What needs to be done is changing the color of the walls on when you go to the next level. Changing the color of SweaPea at the title screen, and changing the music to Popeye music. I cannot do the music.

Popeye2test.bin

Edited by Atari Dogs

Hi, Atari Dogs

Here you go. I fixed the falling problem. What needs to be done is changing the color of the walls on when you go to the next level. Changing the color of SweaPea at the title screen, and changing the music to Popeye music. I cannot do the music.

I found where to change the color of the walls. I think is references the same spot to change color, so I cannot do anything to change it. I changed the walls to match the first screen of the Parker Bros. Popeye. What do you think so far?

Can anyone help with the rest of the changes?

Popeye2.bin

You might want to start a new thread and ask for help in the title so that more people see it. You might also want to post the latest assembly so others could work on it.

Thanks. I just use Hack-0-Matic 3. I never got into disassembling the games. That is probably most of my problems.

Oh, and maybe have the extra men shaped like Popeye head rather than just blocks.

Popeye22.bin

Edited by Atari Dogs