IGNORED

BOYCOTT ULTRACADE!

Stingray

The short version is that David Foley of Ultracade is attempting to trademark the name MAME and the MAME logo. This person had nothing to do with the development of MAME nor did he design the logo.

He's currently harrassing people who sell MAME cabs and artwork for MAME cabs. He's having ebay pull auctions that use the word MAME and he's attempting to extort royalties from people who sell MAME related products. His actions are very sleazy at best and probably illegal, though not being a lawyer I can't say for sure what the legalities are.

There's a very lengthy thread running on the BYOAC board where you can read more about this.

http://forum.arcadecontrols.com/index.php/...ic,32339.0.html

If you are currently in the market for a Multi-Arcade system, I would like to strongly request that you take your business to someone other than Ultracade. This person is doing his best to destroy the MAME hobby.

-S

So his goal is to stop MAME cabs which use pirated games so that he can sell his with licensed games. That makes sense. But if a MAME cab is sold without any illegal ROMs then no harm, no foul.

This is what he claims, yet he has emailed several people on the BYOAC board who sell marquees and control panle overlays (not cabs) and demanded that they start paying him royalties. He certainly tries to make himself out to be a noble crusader out to stop piracy, but he's clearly out to make a buck.

F ultracade. I just played one of their shitty machines last week. MS. Pacman on an 8-way stick, no way

Thats why you should build your own, to your own specs. I plan on making removable joysticks (via LAN cable) so I can swap out between a 4 way and 8 way joystick for my minimame.

first: he can't tell people what to do with their computers at home.

second: he dosen't own the licenses of all the arcades out there.

third: all you have to do is not to mention the word mame in auctions or whatever.

There's nothing he can do. They try to do the same with MP3s... :roll:

okay so explain to me exactly how its illegal for somebody to file for a legal trademark and copyright for something which has not been previously filed for.... yet its legally fine and dandy to download ripped off copies of video games, the intellectual property of dozens of game companies? how exactly does that work from a legal or even logical standpoint? I think you're just pissed that he wont play by your rules. Maybe if you (or anybody else) had thought to do this same thing and get MAME trademarked first, you could have taken ownership and shared everything with the community, maybe even hosted an "official" MAME website of some sort. But instead youre whining and bitching that somebody took initiative on something nobody else thought to do and is now turning a profit. Heaven forbid.

okay so explain to me exactly how its illegal for somebody to file for a legal trademark and copyright for something which has not been previously filed for.... yet its legally fine and dandy to download ripped off copies of video games, the intellectual property of dozens of game companies? how exactly does that work from a legal or even logical standpoint?

Ok, what does making Overlays and Marquees for people who want to build their own cabs have to do with piracy and why is he trying to stop them?

Why is he getting every mame auction pulled from Ebay, including those where the only roms on the machines were legal?

Why is he demanding royalties and sending CAD notices when he doesn't have the TM yet. He only applied for it, it's not approved yet and probably won't be since the MAME people are already taking action against him for theft.

This whole thing about being against piracy and trying to protect any copyright holders is just a cover story. This is purely a business venture on his part. His business sucks, so he wants to trademark someone else's work so he can extort money out of everyone and/or kill the mame scene so he'll be the only guy in town.

okay so explain to me exactly how its illegal for somebody to file for a legal trademark and copyright for something which has not been previously filed for.... yet its legally fine and dandy to download ripped off copies of video games, the intellectual property of dozens of game companies? how exactly does that work from a legal or even logical standpoint? I think you're just pissed that he wont play by your rules. Maybe if you (or anybody else) had thought to do this same thing and get MAME trademarked first, you could have taken ownership and shared everything with the community, maybe even hosted an "official" MAME website of some sort. But instead youre whining and bitching that somebody took initiative on something nobody else thought to do and is now turning a profit. Heaven forbid.

So you'd be cool with me trademarking the name "Stella," then?

This guy sounds like a Class A jerk, and is seeking to profit from the hard work of the many people who have contributed to MAME over the years. Sounds like he wants it both ways, "Rah Rah Ray, I'm doing this for the benefit of the MAME community" while at the same time harassing anyone who is using the MAME name to make a buck.

If he really is getting eBay auctions ended and sending threatening letters to people making products that support MAME cabinets, I hope he quickly goes out of business. It's extremely unlikely he will be granted a trademark on use of the MAME logo, and in the end he's only going to come out of this with a black eye (or two black eyes). You can bet that anyone who actively follows MAME development will not give this guy a red cent from now on, myself included.

..Al

It's funny because I still have the original 'mamelarge.bmp' logo that the people who created it sent me years ago when they were showing it off. It's pretty sleazy for this guy to try and trademark the name and logo in the name of "preventing copyright theft" (which is already illegal.. I fail to see how him taking control of the mame name will additionally help). It's all smoke and mirrors. The guy is a friggin sleaze.

Couldn't have just called this something non-chalant instead?

Boycott is such a tired overused word, something classy like...

The Ultracade Current Affair or, Ultracade and MAME or, Ultracade, and the MAME trademark

That would have been nice.

boy·cott

To abstain from or act together in abstaining from using, buying, or dealing with as an expression of protest or disfavor or as a means of coercion.

I think it was absolutely the correct word to use in this instance. I heard about this guy's actions and the first thing I thought of was that the classic gaming community needs to be made aware of what he's doing. The more classic gamers who know about him and refuse to deal with him as a result the better. By all means, feel free to start another thread with a less inflammatory* title if you like. I felt like being inflammatory was exactly what this situation called for.

*in·flam·ma·to·ry

Arousing passion or strong emotion, especially anger, belligerence, or desire.

-S

Don't worry guys. From what I have seen, the Ultracades are not selling well anyway. I know quite a few operators, and only one has one out on route. Thats the market he should be worried about penetrating; theres not nearly the same money to be made in the collecting community.

It'll pass, I am sure. Gameplay is decent on some games, but not enough to dish out the kind of cash those machines cost. I can build one for a third of that much.

Cassidy

It would be very, very sad to see one of the best open source projects being raped by yet another money hungry asshole.

I'm confident though the mame community will fight this with as much enthousiasm and professionalism as the continuous evolution of their wonderful project.