IGNORED

Anyone with a load of 800 disk menu games?

Clint Thompson

I'm looking for some copies if possible?

I used to have a ton of 800 games menu disks back in the day but they all got washed away in the flood I had way back in 96.

Anyone out there that could provide me this service, perhaps I have something or can do something return?

Thanks...

He means that after everyone pirated all the software.  :sad:   They put multiple programs on one disk with a menu system. Various menu progs were available.

Not all menu systems were designed with pirated software in mind, though. I think that Antic put out one of the best for its "Casten Game Disk". :)

He means that after everyone pirated all the software.  :sad:   They put multiple programs on one disk with a menu system. Various menu progs were available.

No no.... I had many games on disks and I had a menu creator system that would allow you put the programs all on one disk (or at least however many you could fit) and make a custom disk menu for your personal use.

(of course, this was back when I USED to have a 800...) currently scouring for a good clean one now :)

No no.... I had many games on disks and I had a menu creator system that would allow you put the programs all on one disk (or at least however many you could fit) and make a custom disk menu for your personal use.

(of course, this was back when I USED to have a 800...) currently scouring for a good clean one now :)

Actually, I suspect that Calli is right here.

Most commercial software was copy-protected (at least to some extent), and the vast majority of "menu disks" that I've seen have been "cracked" software subsequently pirated and distributed on menu disks. The same thing happens with PC software today.

It was even more prevalent with the ST. The internet was around at that time, and many groups defeated copy-protection and distributed menu disks, often with elaborate intros, "greetz" to hundreds of like-minded individuals, and the like.

However, I guess that most software for the A8 is unlikely to attract the wrath of copyright holders now. At the time, though, piracy might have been one of the reasons for the collapse of the market.

Ah I see what he means though.

I still have yet to see very many true original disks around though.

It was hard enough trying to find new software locally back in the days so this could have had some reason behind it all... anyways... that was then and this is now.

I remember someone selling these things at MWC2k1 for like $1.99 a pop but I didn't have any money on me to get them at the time.

Ironic, as I had a 'orginal' John Williams Boot Menu (as in original disk), this menu system eventually evolved into the infamous 'Multiboot'

I also had an original 'howfen dos' menu creator disk, (non atari dos compatible) which also allowed you to convert Rob C Ina K, Alfa (or was it Alpha), C Elton and Jon Williams/Multiboot all to howfen boot

It also allowed you to convert certain types of single/multistage tapes to howfen menu (as part of the menu creator program), and similar type tape to disk convertor as a separate program, and the resulting boot disk could be converted to running from a howfen menu

I only used the separate tape-boot disk program as a way to convert tape programs into binary files (as my old atari xe had built in omnimon/ultimon)

In the UK we also had the fairly popular 'transdisk' t-d convertor and menu maker, it did all the standard single/mutistage boot tapes (about 80-90 p/c) and quite a few of the non standard tape boots (like EA/English software/US GOLD etc)... the only problem with this program is that the menu part was very big (120) sectors, plus it added about 3-15 sectors for each stage, i calculated that a typical transdisk file was between 25-35 sectors longer in lenght then if the same program have been converted using howfendos (assuming it was compatible)

Also the file structure is not dos compatible (i.e. you cannot load the eventual trandisk file thru dos) though you could copy individual transdisk created files with dos, but it isnt reccommended

When I was still using this menu system, i was told that there was a bloke in Wales that could convert transdisk files to howfen or dos... he never intimated to me how this was done

hope that this helps

8)

My best friend and I had a menu creator system by Walt Load (or Lord)and all you had to do is use a joy stick or keyboard to choose what game you want to load.

We had a few different menu systems but I can't remember the names right now.

One system had numbers next to the game and all you had to to was press the number corrisponding to the game.

If Pac-Man was Number 3 then we pressed #3 on the keyboard.

If this is what you are looking for I will be visiting him in 2 weeks and I will copy them for you.

Well,

I do also own most of the mentioned UK based menus. Besides I do own some DOS 2 compatible gamedos versions (menuloaders), like Nanodos, micro-DOs, Picodos, MypicoDOS, US Init., and many others. if interested e-mail me and I will return some zipped ATR images to you... Andreas Magenheimer.

P.S.: ABBUC also has a disk in their PD library full of ML and/or Basic menu loaders. visit www.abbuc.de (als, I cannot remember the Pd number)...

Guten Amt... Andreas

Re: Dos based menu's... never did like them... even tdiv (transdisk 4), gave up with it after receiving a copy of howfendos, and also having found out how disks and cassette proggies load into mem (except complex disk multiloaders), using programs like howfendos, digicomm's freezer, superdos and my 130xe's built in ominmon/ultimon combi, i managed to get most of my games onto binary, with the exception of several, JW Darts (not the compendium vers.), Domain o/t undead, mercenary (48k), BBSB, Thunderfox, and some others i cant remember, unfortunately due to most of them loading in lo mem (sub $0B00 hex) packing the files with cruncher 5 was out of the question, the only way to pack the files was super packer by Bewesodt

I also managed to do Zybex, KDSM (except the team selection bit), Rockford, Daylight Robbery, Slingshot, Raid over moscow, redmax and loads and loads of others

My menu's of choice were howfen and JW (now multiboot)

I'm looking for some copies if possible?

I used to have a ton of 800 games menu disks back in the day but they all got washed away in the flood I had way back in 96.

Anyone out there that could provide me this service, perhaps I have something or can do something return?

Thanks...

I have a couple of atr's with games if that is what you asking for. I was trying to remember a while ago where I've got 'em from, no luck. I'm at shool right now, but I'll take a look as soon as I get home.