IGNORED

"XYPE" pronounciation?

Snider-man

quote:

Originally posted by Russ Perry Jr:

in Greek it's "chi" -- though I'm not sure if it's properly pronounced like "k" or like the "ch" in Jewish (as in "l'chaim", the toast) or German (like in "Bach").

I think in Greek "chi" is pronounced similar to the English "she", but with more of a hissing sound. Similar to the "ch" in "Bach", but with the tongue a bit more up. Basically you form your mouth to say the "e" like in "she" and then exhale a bit before you actually say the vowel. (Did anyone really try that? )

And the "Where do you want to go today?" slogan, that you mentioned, always sounded to me like something that William H. Wolf III. would ask Little Red Riding Hood when she was going to the grandmother's house. And we all know how that story ended.

Ciao, Eckhard Stolberg

quote:

Originally posted by Eckhard Stolberg:

I think in Greek "chi" is pronounced similar to the English "she"

I'm pretty sure that it rhymes with "eye"... but I could be wrong. My only source for pronounciation of greek letters is my engineering prof's, and some of them pronounce omega as "O-miga" (emphasis on the O), which is completely wrong as far as I know (I pronounce it "oh MEH ga", emphasis on MEH)

--Zero

In the phonetic alphabet "i" is pronounced as "ee". Now, I don't know if Greek is phonetic.

Hmm, but if "chi" should be pronounced like "she", then the proper pronunciation of XP approaches "zero". Heh heh...

(PS -- dig the "(Mac OS)XP(lagiarism)" suggestion :-)

quote:

Originally posted by liveinabin:

If this gets to a third page, I swear I'm gonna become a Nun.

Yes, this has surprised me as well. I figured it was cut and dry as "Zype", no questions asked. Boy, was I wrong! Next time I need to choose a name for a company (or anything, for that matter), I'm going to be sure there's no ambiguity in how to pronounce it.

..Al

Good suggestion, I typed Xype into my mac and got it to say it in lots of voices.

It was more like Zype (oddly enough, the best rendition of it was in the voice' Albert' oooh), well - it really said Zy'te but the Zy bit was definately there.