IGNORED

HSC Season 2 Week 9: Time Pilot

Ze_ro

Important note: This weeks competition is over. If you still wish to discuss this game, then feel free to do so, but no further scores will be accepted. Thanks to everyone for all their contributions! Please join in on the latest High Score Club competition!

You're caught in a time warp! Earn your wings against ruthless enemy aircraft from the dawn of aviation to the superjet age and finally to the future! Keep your eyes open and your hand on the throttle, because you are Time Pilot!

Game Information
Released By Atari
Left Difficulty B / Novice
Right Difficulty B / Novice
Game Mode Not Applicable
Chosen By video game addict

Post your scores right here in this thread, and I will add them to the list. Remember to play the game with the recommended game mode and difficulty settings as shown above so that your scores will be consistent with everyone elses. The deadline for posting scores will be approximately Tuesday, March 21th at 1:30 AM (CST). In case you haven't already done so, please read the High Score Club rules. There is other useful information contained in that previous link, including a list of previous High Score Club games!

As before, next week's game will be chosen by the next person in the member list, which happens to be pitfallaimee! Please send me a private message with your choice of game for next week!

If you don't have this game, you can find a copy of the rom right here.

If you are not a member of the High Score Club, but would like to be, then all you have to do is post a reply saying so, and I'll add you to the list!

High Scores
[*]silverfuji.gif51,200 (Numan) [+10]
[*]bronzefuji.gif37,800 (keilbaca) [+9]
[*]35,900 (Robert M) [+8]
[*]35,800 (Philflound) [+7]
[*]34,900 (video game addict) [+6]
[*]31,200 (StanJr) [+5]
[*]28,200 (LarcenTyler) [+4]
[*]20,600 (Dones) [+3]
[*]16,400 (Blackjack) [+2]
[*]16,000 (Goochman) [+1]
[*]15,900 (vdub_bobby) [+1]
[*]15,700 (Christophero Sly) [+1]
[*]15,500 (Keir) [+1]
[*]15,100 (gospeedde) [+1]
[*]10,800 (Stingray) [+1]
[*]8500 (chrisbid) [+1]
[*]8200 (scogey) [+1]
[*]8100 (chubsta) [+1]
[*]4400 (Dan Iacovelli) [+1]:
(Default Settings)
112,100 (Ron Corcoran)
[*]34,400 (Robert Macauley)
[*]31,300 (Troy Whelan)

Best Tips:

Bounties and Challenges
None yet
[*]To post a bounty, PM me with the details

Score Statistics
Average Score: 23,850
[*]Std. Deviation: 16,143
[*]Total Score: 477,000

Current Standings
[*]StanJr [74]
[*]sku_u [38]
[*]Osbo [34]
[*]racer raul [29]
[*]Christophero Sly [29]
[*]chrisbid [27]
[*]KaeruYojimbo [26]
[*]video game addict [25]
[*]Fellow Atari Man [24]
[*]Malc74 [23]
[*]Dones [21]
[*]Blackjack [18]
[*]LarcenTyler [16]
[*]chubsta [16]
[*]yuppicide [15]
[*]candiru [14]
[*]Keir [14]
[*]Cybergoth [14]
[*]gospeedde [13]
[*]Philflound [13]
[*]cvga [13]
[*]Robert M [11]
[*]vdub_bobby [9]
[*]the 5th ghost [9]
[*]pitfallaimee [8]
[*]Numan [8]
[*]Dan Iacovelli [8]
[*]adams_ale [6]
[*]Gamemaster_ca_2003 [5]
[*]Bubbledragon [4]
[*]BydoEmpire [3]
[*]kemsted [3]
[*]mikeftrevino [2]
[*]Stingray [2]
[*]128bytes [2]
[*]Voch [2]
[*]khryssun [2]
[*]Chris++ [1]
[*]scogey [1]
[*]awsomo3000 [1]
[*]madbutscher [1]
[*]Scooterb23 [1]
[*]bjk7382 [1]
[*]iguana [1]
[*]Gateway [1]
Standings are current as of the beginning of this week, and do NOT include
points from this week's game. If you think there has been a mistake in
any of the scoring, please contact me.

Member List
pitfallaimee, Blackjack, racer raul, Robert M, Dan Iacovelli, iguana, Gateway, gospeedde, KaeruYojimbo, bjk7382, Christophero Sly, yuppicide, madbutscher, the 5th ghost, Scooterb23, khryssun, Malc74, chubsta, Keir, Philflound, candiru, kemsted, keilbaca, Cybergoth, sku_u, Chris++, cvga, LarcenTyler, 128bytes, Goochman, mikeftrevino, StanJr, Osbo, Numan, vdub_bobby, Dones, Gamemaster_ca_2003, awsomo3000, Voch, Stingray, Bubbledragon, video game addict

Scoring Points in Time Pilot - Unknown, let us know if you can do it!

Hints and Tips
As always, you really should read the manual.

What's that? You don't have the manual? Unfortunately, neither does AtariAge! However, video game addict has you covered... he scanned the manual and sent it to me, so you can view it over here.

What's that? You're too lazy to click that link? Well actually, the manual doesn't have any specific tips in it anyways... but it's still worth reading so you know what you're up against.
1. The controls are a little goofy and need some getting used to. The direction you push is the direction you face. If you push up, you face up, if you push right, you face right. Note this, since you cannot go from a down to up position or left to right without rotating it either way.

2. Bullets are pretty easy to dodge. But if you wish to stay safe, then I say always try and follow the ships. This works well for the first 3 boards where you outrun the ships you are fighting, so it's easy to sneak up behind for the kill.

3. The 4th level with the jet fighters is a little tough. They actually fly faster than you do. It also seems that they fire more often. Try and kill a few right away. I think there are 4 or 5 on the screen, so if you can kill them faster, chances are you won't crash into them. These have a tendency of doing kamikaze on you.

4. The UFO board, the 5th and last board, I find to be easier than the previous one. The one problem is that there are no set patterns on the way the UFOs fly. So keep firing.

5. When you fire, your bullets will stop if you press fire again. Try and let your bullets make the full range, just in case any ships pop out on the end of the screen. Only refire if something is near to you.

6. You can maneuver your bullets slightly. When you fire, nudge your ship and the bullets will nudge with you. Possibly a glitch, but one to use to your advantage, especially if you're shooting on an angle. If you see you're slightly off, just nudge and most likely you'll hit the ship.

7. The "boss" ship comes out after you kill enough ships. You want to take this out right away and move on to the next board. This is where you get your real points, so your better off passing levels and getting the max bonus so you can restart on the 1st screen with level 6.

(Philflound)
Couple of tips -

Firstly, the game (like the arcade game) loops back to Level 1 once you pass the UFO level, so once you get some experience at the higher levels you can expect to loop around a few times - I'd expect to see some major high scores by the end of the week.

Secondly, use the way the screen scrolls to take out enemies. If your bullets are about to miss an enemy, alter your flight direction and the bullet will move too. With practice you can take out lots of bad guys this way. Even if your initial shot isn't all that accurate you can use the scrolling to 'home in' on the enemies.

(Malc74)
For control I have found it useful to turn all the way to the right, and then use the left and right keys to rotate back and forth between up/left and right. It makes it more like steering the plane left and right. I use the down key as an escape manuver. (Robert M)

Good luck everyone!

--Ze_ro

Yeah, this game is a somewhat rare one, but keep in mind you're free to play it on emulators. There's even a rom link in the top post if you can't find the rom yourself.

As for the quality of the game, I think they did a pretty good job on it considering the limitations of the system. Also surprisingly good for a Coleco game.

--Zero

Ok, a few quick tips on this game.

1. The controls are a little goofy and need some getting used to. The direction you push is the direction you face. If you push up, you face up, if you push right, you face right. Note this, since you cannot go from a down to up position or left to right without rotating it either way.

2. Bullets are pretty easy to dodge. But if you wish to stay safe, then I say always try and follow the ships. This works well for the first 3 boards where you outrun the ships you are fighting, so it's easy to sneak up behind for the kill.

3. The 4th level with the jet fighters is a little tough. They actually fly faster than you do. It also seems that they fire more often. Try and kill a few right away. I think there are 4 or 5 on the screen, so if you can kill them faster, chances are you won't crash into them. These have a tendency of doing kamikaze on you.

4. The UFO board, the 5th and last board, I find to be easier than the previous one. The one problem is that there are no set patterns on the way the UFOs fly. So keep firing.

5. When you fire, your bullets will stop if you press fire again. Try and let your bullets make the full range, just in case any ships pop out on the end of the screen. Only refire if something is near to you.

6. You can maneuver your bullets slightly. When you fire, nudge your ship and the bullets will nudge with you. Possibly a glitch, but one to use to your advantage, especially if you're shooting on an angle. If you see you're slightly off, just nudge and most likely you'll hit the ship.

7. The "boss" ship comes out after you kill enough ships. You want to take this out right away and move on to the next board. This is where you get your real points, so your better off passing levels and getting the max bonus so you can restart on the 1st screen with level 6.

Hope this helps.

Phil

this thing is almost impossible to control in an emu. I bet on a real system it is a lot of fun, and I bet I could really rack up some points, but this is one of the two coleco games I do not have (the other being Berenstain Bears), so I'll be restricted to the emu this week.

Ah well, my first outing:

post-409-1110937279_thumb.jpg

this thing is almost impossible to control in an emu.  I bet on a real system it is a lot of fun, and I bet I could really rack up some points, but this is one of the two coleco games I do not have (the other being Berenstain Bears), so I'll be restricted to the emu this week.  

Your joysticks are crying in relief :lol:

The thing I am noticed that pisses me off the most about this game is the lack of collision detection. I have shot at least 30 bullets or whatever through enemy ships. I watched them go through the ship, yet did not destroy it. I lined up perfectly (something nearly impossible with a keypad) and then shot, and nothing, shot went through. Not once or twice, but over and over! Sheesh.

Oh, and sometimes when I hit the fire button the ship does not shoot.

Maybe z26 just doesn't emulate this game well, I'll try it on Stella....

[edit=Osbo]this game is fun with difficult selector in A... too planes to blast in difficult B :x[/edit]

this game is fun with difficult selector in A... too many planes to blast in difficult B :x

I also noticed the collision detection problem... grrrrrr

[edit=Osbo]this game is fun with difficult selector in A... too planes to blast in difficult B  :x[/edit]

this game is fun with difficult selector in A... too many planes to blast in difficult B  :x

I also noticed the collision detection problem... grrrrrr

With A setting there are more planes to kill than B :ponder:

In B setting, you have 2 planes at bottom of screen, each represent 4 planes you need to kill to bring out the little end boss. So a total of 8 kills per section.

If you play on A, then it's 6 planes at bottom, which would be 24 per section, I think if my math is right lol, seemed a little more drawn out. I figured start on easy, have less to kill, quicker to move thru the rounds, & collect points as you gain more for the bosses than the actual planes you kill as you go thru..

Control could be better, I have a time not flying into the enemy :roll: At least you get the points when you die ;)

I wish they could have added the bombs, would make a little more exciting!

I think it's still a decent game for what it is. Considering it is one of Coleco's titles.

I've honestly have not played enough to really know which skill is best, I played a few rounds before I pmed Ze_ro, but I couldn't see much difference besides the large amount of killing you had to do to advance from level to level.

I've not noticed collision detection problems though on any setting.

...make that 36000.

Couple of tips -

Firstly, the game (like the arcade game) loops back to Level 1 once you pass the UFO level, so once you get some experience at the higher levels you can expect to loop around a few times - I'd expect to see some major high scores by the end of the week.

Secondly, use the way the screen scrolls to take out enemies. If your bullets are about to miss an enemy, alter your flight direction and the bullet will move too. With practice you can take out lots of bad guys this way. Even if your initial shot isn't all that accurate you can use the scrolling to 'home in' on the enemies.

That's enough for now. I love the arcade game and this isn't too bad once you get into it (using my trusty proline via the Stelladaptor is a blessing though!)

post-4591-1110948839_thumb.png