IGNORED

Atari's Landfill Adventures, I now have the proof it's true.

Spud

• 5 weeks later...

Pffffff.........I've just spend hours and hours reading this entire thread. What a story it is.....

When I saw the title, I remember as a kid reading about this back in the early eighties in a gaming magazine. I used to read everything I could about games back then. So even here overseas in the Netherlands this story was known.

• Like 4

I heard over 25 or more years ago from a friend that Et will be rare as a million carts were crushed and cemented over. I was 10-12 years old then and am 37 now.

How could that have reached a town of 900 at the time in hillbilly part of Canada?

Was it on the news at the time?

Probably heard it through the vast Canadian Hillbilly Underground Pipeline or "CHUP" which is a vast network of hosers that runs across Canada from Justin Trudeau's grow-op to Don Cherry's basement.

Sorry Justin dont exist in these parts.

And I never once heard anyone call someone a hoser. Cept on Tv.

Annnnd no one ever ever says take off eh..

Fyi or whatever

I am from saskatchatoon.(actually saskatchewan but thats what was portrayed on an american movie they always do that to be lazy and ignorant) cause saskatoon is a city in the province of saskatchewan.

Mark Mcmorris(bronze medalist snowboarding which broken rib at sochi is from Regina, Sask. Also the Roughriders 2013 grey cup champs are 35 miles from my small town of 400 in Regina Sask. And yes American brothers its Regina like Vagina.. titled the city that rhymes with fun. Not [rah-geen-ah] Regina Latin for Queen.

I think out east Canadians might have spoken the words hoser?? Or eh eh eh frequently but I dont know.. possibly decades ago??

Edited by Jinks

Local dialects are a dying breed thanks to the internet. Too many new words are being born online and making their way into everyday conversation. I live in the US but I've borrowed a couple brittish slang terms over the years like "bloody" and "arse" because people used them online. Funny thing happened in the Endless Snow thread: Guys from up north like Wisconsin, Montana, and southern Canada refered to knit caps as "toques". Everyone in the deep south US refers to them as "beanies". I'd never heard of a "toque" and some other forum member didn't know what a "beanie" was. We LOL'ed once we realised they were essentially the same thing! :P

Annnnd no one ever ever says take off eh..

Fyi or whatever

I am from saskatchatoon.(actually saskatchewan but thats what was portrayed on an american movie they always do that to be lazy and ignorant) cause saskatoon is a city in the province of saskatchewan.

Mark Mcmorris(bronze medalist snowboarding which broken rib at sochi is from Regina, Sask. Also the Roughriders 2013 grey cup champs are 35 miles from my small town of 400 in Regina Sask. And yes American brothers its Regina like Vagina.. titled the city that rhymes with fun. Not [rah-geen-ah] Regina Latin for Queen.

I think out east Canadians might have spoken the words hoser?? Or eh eh eh frequently but I dont know.. possibly decades ago??

Sam02.jpg

:ponder:

I heard over 25 or more years ago from a friend that Et will be rare as a million carts were crushed and cemented over....

Well, the market price of ET has gone up over 800% in the last couple of years (from a base of about $.50). Maybe publicity from this dig thing could even double the value again... Of course, if they are able to recover and sell a load of ET carts, the bottom of this bull market could fall out, dooming us ET commodity traders...

Well, the market price of ET has gone up over 800% in the last couple of years (from a base of about $.50). Maybe publicity from this dig thing could even double the value again... Of course, if they are able to recover and sell a load of ET carts, the bottom of this bull market could fall out, dooming us ET commodity traders...

Even if material is uncovered, I doubt it will still be playable. Even if they were possible to restore, the value would be far greater as archeological relics as opposed to actual vintage games, of which there are still plenty.

• 3 weeks later...

I emailed Mad Maddie yesterday,the person that is the representative for the dig,to find out when this will be expected to be seen by the public.

I want to know if any member of AtariAge,or any person a member of Atariage may know, has taken apart the remake ET cart to look to see what the date on the PCB is.If not, will a person do this ? I want to know if Atari remanufactured some or most of the original 1982 ET carts and put them out later with a new label,but remanufactured it with the original 1982 PCB from the returns they got sent to them.

Spud,will you post all your videos,etc on youtube ? I can not see none of what you have posted now,since my computer might not have the requirements to view it.

Has any person contacted the family of Marian McQuiddy yet to see if they have any pictures and/or negatives? If so,what has been found out ? If not, why has this not been done ? If a book was wrote, and this did not get researched and reported, it is an unfinished book and should not have been published without making an all out effort to contact the friends,students,and family of Marian McQuiddy,the reporter who first broke the landfill story in 1983.

I didn't get to attend this, but there was a session today at SXSW Interactive called "Unearthing the Atari Graveyard: The Search for ET". Details at http://schedule.sxsw.com/2014/events/event_IAP22574.

I expect a video of this will show up online in the next few months.

Update: looks like The Guardian covered the talk: http://www.theguardian.com/technology/2014/mar/07/seeking-et-atari-2600-landfill-xbox

and the team making the film has a website up at http://dumpingthealien.com/

Edited by bcombee

I would imagine by now the dig has failed due to a general lack of $$$. Excavation is expensive...

http://news.yahoo.com/producer-reveals-plans-unearth-worst-015247742.html

"Gamers with a taste for the morbid may already be familiar with "Dumping the Alien: Unearthing the Atari Graveyard." This documentary film from Lightbox Productions and Fuel Entertainment chronicles filmmaker Jonathan Chinn's quest to track down the final resting place of the unsold copies of "E.T." Chinn held a panel at SxSW 2014 to give fans their latest look at the film's progress."

"To save face (and warehouse space), Atari buried the unsold copies of "E.T." in the New Mexico desert, but never specified exactly where. Their fate has fascinated gamers for three decades, and Chinn believes he has discovered where to dig. If his information is good, the excavation could commence within a month or two."

You'd think if these guys write about video games PROFESSIONALLY, they would make a little effort to actually learn some of actual details beyond the myths, maybe by talking to some of the people here on ATARIage!

But, No-oo-oo-oo-oo!

That article is just loaded with shallow heresay...

However, it's good to hear the dig is still on...

• 2 weeks later...

Being held up by NM State EPA:

http://www.foxnews.com/tech/2014/03/20/landfill-search-for-et-atari-video-game-is-halted/?intcmp=obnetwork

According to the article, Fuel Entertainment and LightBox Interactive needed a waste excavation plan, or WEP, and it was rejected on Feb 27 by the state environmental agency (which has control of the WEP's final approval). The companies haven't submitted a new one.

"A 2004 study found elevated levels of several chemicals in the landfill, prompting the New Mexico Environment Department to request further testing. Test results found "22 compounds of concern," according to the agency." - what terrible waste product could be leaking from those ET cartridges? :)

http://www.nbcnews.com/tech/tech-news/e-t-cant-phone-home-yet-landfill-search-atari-game-n58256

just for archive purposes...lol.

Most epic thread on AtariAge....

:ponder: :ponder: :ponder: :ponder:

E.T. Can't Phone Home Yet: Landfill Search for Atari Game Halted

New Mexico environmental regulators are blocking two companies from digging up an Alamogordo landfill in search of a rumored cache of what some consider the worst Atari video game of all time.

Game cartridges for "E.T. the Extra-Terrestrial," based on Steven Spielberg's blockbuster hit film, were reportedly dumped in the landfill in the 1980s.

New Mexico Environment Department spokesman Jim Winchester said Wednesday an approved waste excavation plan, or WEP, is needed before any dig can begin, the Alamogordo Daily News reported.

"A WEP must be approved in advance of any excavation, and that includes even the city of Alamogordo," Winchester said.

Alamogordo city commissioners approved the search in June. However, Winchester said state environmental officials have control of the WEP's final approval, and it was rejected Feb. 27.

The companies haven't yet submitted a new one, Winchester said.

Fuel Entertainment and LightBox Interactive recently announced plans to search the landfill for the game that proved a financial drain for Atari. The companies plan to record the dig for a documentary to be released by Microsoft Corp. for the Xbox One console. Filmmakers have even offered fans the chance to enter a giveaway of anything that might be unearthed.

Catherine Pasciak, a producer for LightBox, said the company still plans to travel to Alamogordo, if and when the project gets approval. The filmmakers have already shot some interviews, she said.

Atari paid Steven Spielberg tens of millions of dollars to license the wildly popular 1982 movie's name. In the game, the player takes on the role of the titular alien and tries to elude FBI agents while collecting pieces of a telephone to call E.T.'s spaceship.

The end result was a huge commercial dud that caused the troubled company's worth to sink even further.

Atari purportedly disposed of millions of game cartridges and other equipment by the truckload at the landfill. The area's supposed role as a gaming burial ground has snowballed into mythic status over the years.

— The Associated Press

First published March 20th 2014, 7:09 pm Edited by Mock