IGNORED

Atari's Landfill Adventures, I now have the proof it's true.

Spud

One could argue that pretty much anything could be considered "overstock" at the time...retailers' interest was falling (IMO this is where the "nearly all of them came back" quote was referencing - outlet preorders NOT involving consumer returns in any way).

The thing about "overstock" was that some of that would have been returns. Some returns were never opened by Atari. How do I know? Someone I know worked for Federated back in the day. They had to box up a lot of unsold stuff to return it to Atari. A few years later he's in California and goes dumpster diving Atari with some friends. He found that very box of returns (actually it might have been 2 or 3 of them), unopened, in a dumpster.

• Like 1

NOOOOOOOO!

What did that poor Asteroids machine do to you?

That was SOOOOO wrong in SOOOOO many ways!!! Those that shredded that arcade need to find something else for entertainment. Let me place their car in that shredder and see how they feel. Another decent cab gone because of someone's antics of thinking they are "cool" when all they did was destroy a perfectly good piece of gaming history. And it didn't look like it was in bad condition at all. I hate seeing videos like that...especially when it comes to video games.

That was SOOOOO wrong in SOOOOO many ways!!! Those that shredded that arcade need to find something else for entertainment. Let me place their car in that shredder and see how they feel. Another decent cab gone because of someone's antics of thinking they are "cool" when all they did was destroy a perfectly good piece of gaming history. And it didn't look like it was in bad condition at all. I hate seeing videos like that...especially when it comes to video games.

If you think that's cringeworthy, DO NOT WATCH THE FOLLOWING VIDEO:

:-o

If you think that's cringeworthy, DO NOT WATCH THE FOLLOWING VIDEO:

:-o

I was OK until I seen Tempest get thrown off the building. Most of those didn't interest me but Tempest. That cab alone, even empty, had some value to it. People like these make it hard for a true video gamer that would enjoy what they are busting up find items like those...and would appreciate them. If you have that kind of junk you can't sell don't destroy it...donate it or something. Hell, I'll even take it. Use the donation as a tax write off.

Bunch of arrogant dumbasses throwing stuff off a building. The Tempest color vector monitor is especially valuable. If the display doesn't work chances are it can be refurbed by replacing the large capacitors and other components within the yoke. And think of all those beautiful pinball tables. Even if the pins were busted to hell, they could surely be "parted out?" Some collectors might need the backglass or other parts to restore their machines.

So it was more than just ET carts that got dumped? I wonder why...

Probably because the landfill actually has nothing to do with "a game so bad that we had to destroy all traces of it".

Myth busted. Finally. The myth has been dispelled, and the media is doing all they can to make the lies spread even further =|

• Like 2

It's things like this that make me not trust all of the news. If there's a story I know nothing about, how do I know it's not just as slanted or inaccurate?

Exactly. I've seen local stories make sensational headlines, and after hearing the true, full story from my friends, it makes me really not trust any news ever.

The real question is, how long has it been 1984?

Probably because the landfill actually has nothing to do with "a game so bad that we had to destroy all traces of it".

Myth busted. Finally. The myth has been dispelled, and the media is doing all they can to make the lies spread even further =|

Well, the whole thing goes back to the documentary, and ET is what has been played up the most. They went looking for that, not all the other games and stuff that was uncovered. ET is the "known name," and what's highlighted in the documentary, which is why this was done. Right?

As a local news reporter for 20 years, I always try to get stories as complete, thorough and accurate as I can. I'd like to think that applies to most of my peers. But sometimes there's angles to stories and parts of stories I don't know about, or people don't tell me.

Also keep in mind - most reporters covering subjects aren't going to be experts, well versed, or even familiar with the subject. We all are well-versed in Atari and this "issue." If I was reporting on this, I'd have a "leg up," and know more about it. But I'd bet most of the reporters covering this don't have our level of knowledge on Atari or gaming in general.

Edited by Brian R.

I think it's fake.

but looks like someone is bidding.. probably the owner on an alt account. No one is going to pay for a piece of garbage that was dug up after 30 years. Imagine the smell!

Edited by xucaen

No one is going to pay for a piece of garbage that was dug up after 30 years. Imagine the smell!

It is CLEARLY fake as it says so in the description. While this is a joke auction for sure, I am certain it will not be long until the real thing starts popping up on auction sites.

lol Clearly you underestimate the fanatical obsession of some collectors, sure it seems stupid to you or I but trust me, there is always some idiot to buy this crap if it means they can say "OH LOOK WHAT I HAVE !"

Edited by OldSchoolRetroGamer

I think it's fake.

but looks like someone is bidding.. probably the owner on an alt account. No one is going to pay for a piece of garbage that was dug up after 30 years. Imagine the smell!

Real landfill carts complete with crushed boxes, I can see collectors paying real money for. The Game Gavel auction is asinine and IMO needs to be puled.