IGNORED

best way to sell? (need advice)

ed

I am going to start unloading some of my collection for a multiple of reasons, the main one being that I just don't have time to play the games (and when I do I normally fire up the emulator rather than the 2600). I am testing the waters on ebay - is it better to sell in lots or individual games all listed around the same time (so one person can bid on several and save on shipping?) or is it better to just sell from a message board/website. I am using ebay mainly for the conveinence. Any advice or personal experience anyone has would be appreciated.

It's more work to list everything seperately, but seperate listings usually bring in more money for the seller. If you're gonna sell on Ebay, DON'T overcharge on shipping, I can't tell ya how many auctions I've passed on because the seller wants $4 to ship a loose cart, first class mail is rarely more than $2, and many buyers know that.

I think shipping depends on the amount of the game. If people are paying $30-40 for a game they want, they don't mind you spending $4 or $5 for shipping...$1.50 for a extra-sturdy video mailer box with some bubblewrap for padding and $2.50 or so for insurance/first class postage.

If it's a combat, pacman or some other minor game that might sell for <$5, then ship it the cheapest way possible...third or fourth class, etc for $2. It's not worth paying twice the cost of the game for shipping.

quote:

Originally posted by Raccoon Lad:

It's more work to list everything seperately, but seperate listings usually bring in more money for the seller. If you're gonna sell on Ebay, DON'T overcharge on shipping, I can't tell ya how many auctions I've passed on because the seller wants $4 to ship a loose cart, first class mail is rarely more than $2, and many buyers know that.

The thing is that unless it's a heavy object, like a console, it just isn't expensive to ship and $4-5 is still too much. I just sent out an XBOX game, securely bubble wrapped in a padded envelope PRIORITY mail and it cost me $3.50 TOTAL! They get the game in 2-3 days and are very happy with the shipping costs. I HATE people who charge $5+ for shipping and NEVER buy from them because I sell/trade a lot and KNOW it doesn't cost much to send it out even Priority mail. DON'T over charge. If you have to, find out exactly what it costs and let the buyer know, that way they don't feel cheated. A cart will cost about a buck to send out alone...

As far as where to sell, if you got a credit card, E-bay is the place if you want to make decent money off the sale, if not(no credit card), try posting it at Atari.net auctions (free) or offering it up for sale/trade here. I too, am generally not out to make money, I'd rather trade most of the time, so I usually ask here or on another similiar site first, before trying anywhere else. In your case, you just want to unload it and not trade, so your situation is different. Offer it up here first anyway (cool people here mean your stuff is getting a good home), then, if your not getting the offers you want, go to auction sites. Yahoo! Auctions is also a good place that charges much less than E-bay to post and auction.

OK you guys have convinced me. I will throw up a list of games for sale with reasonable prices over the weekend (I will also use it as a chance to work on my HTML so they may not be up right away). Anyone interested can make an offer and the leftovers will end up on ebay. Out of curiousity are games ok to ship in bubble envelopes or are they occasionally damaged (loose carts - I am thinking specifically of activision and other games with an open top might be more likely to get crushed).

quote:

Originally posted by ed:

OK you guys have convinced me. I will throw up a list of games for sale with reasonable prices over the weekend (I will also use it as a chance to work on my HTML so they may not be up right away). Anyone interested can make an offer and the leftovers will end up on ebay. Out of curiousity are games ok to ship in bubble envelopes or are they occasionally damaged (loose carts - I am thinking specifically of activision and other games with an open top might be more likely to get crushed).

I don't think I've ever had anything damaged in the mail. On the other hand, I'm sort of an overpacker. Gotta do something with the extra packing material from the games I buy.

Eric

I tend to buy individuals games because I try to avoid having doubles of some games that I already have (usually happens if someone is selling a lot of cartridges at once). By buying individual games, I avoid having doubles of games.

I also try to look for someone who is selling several individual games at once and is willing to give me a break on the shipping after the initial shipping charge. This way I might pay say $2 or $3 for the initial cartridge and then maybe 50 cents for each additional cartridge.

As for Ebay, I would recommend that you try to sell them soon since the rates are going to go up on sellers beginning after January.

Depends,

If you want to try the waters here with the titles and look for bites, you can. Realize none of us will pay 20 bucks for a Combat, but they may on ebay. I have sold games and systems together and made a decent sale (I am in it to buy more games, not make super profit) but I have also paid 30 bucks for a boxed "whatever" game I really wanted.

Up to you. What do you have for sale, btw?

Cassidy