IGNORED

Some Newbie Questions

ScoobyDoo

OK after poking around some of the VCS sites on the net and messing about with Stella, I've finally decided to go the whole hog and get myself a real VCS and start collecting games from an era I sadly missed. So I'd be glad if some of you people out there could answer some questions for me.

Here goes,

1) What version of the VCS is the best to buy, considering I want the machine to play games on rather than to be a collectors piece? I.E. I want a machine that is robust rather than one that will fetch a good price on eBay in a couple of years.

2) Is a VCS the best way to go, or would I be better off with a 7800 (as I'd be able to play VCS and 7800 games on it) or should I get both?

3) Where's a good place to buy old Atari kit from? (UK based if possible I don't want the hassle of impoting).

4) Finally let me know some of your favourite games. (I'm sure there are some gems out there I haven't played yet)!

Thanks for your help

Hello,

To 2) You can play near all games on the 7800er, but there are only a few games that not work (I only read that, but never test it). But on my 7800er NTSC games work better then as on the 2600er Jr.

To 4) Asterix, Bobby is going home, Dragonfire, Indy 500, Peter Penguin, Raiders of the Lost Ark.

Brilliant! A fellow UK Atari fan

Okay, system wise - it doesn't really matter. just get the one that looks nicer to you. I have a 6-switch woodgrain (looks lovely although the aerial lead is permanently joined onto the console) and a little Junior model (which has a replacable aerial, so you can get a better lead if you want).

To be honest, whichever model you get is gonna look a bit weak on a modern TV, but thats not the point.

7800 is good, but I don't think it has quite the same Atari feel, but you're right - it plays all the Atari games.

make sure you get 2 sticks and a set of paddles with it (the BEST games use the paddles).

Games wise, for starters, Combat and Video Olympics are great. I like Frogger, oh, and ANY activision game - particularly Kaboom, Pitfall and Keystone Kapers.

Now, where to buy, I've never really noticed many 2600 games in Charity shops (UK is a Spectrum nation), so Ebay is pretty good (I use it a lot - you should certainly buy your system from there), also try Retrogames.co.uk and Retrogamer.co.uk

Some people like Telegames but they're way too expensive.

When you've got a few carts, get yourself a PAL copy of Ghostbusters 2. it wasn't released in NTSC so you can wind the americans up with it

Hmm, tell you what, since I'm in a good mood (see Qb contest hehe) - send me your address (just click the private mail thingy above this post)- and I'll send you free boxed copies of Activisions Pitfall and Frostbite

Welcome to the best idea you ever had, and stick around Atariage - I LOVE this site - really nice people.

An Atari 7800 won't let you play the Black and White screen games. I've heard there are three games like this.

I own 1 Atari 7800 and currently 3 Atari 2600 systems (2 6 Switches, and 1 4 Switch). I prefer the graphics and sound of the games on a Atari 2600, rather than a Atari 7800. Of course actual Atari 7800 games will only work on a Atari 7800 system, I am refering to playing the Atari 2600 games.

If you get a Atari 2600, I would recommend a 4 switch Atari 2600. The 4 switch system will allow you to play all the games, the Red and Silver labeled games do not fit very well in a Atari 6 switch-- The way to make them fit is smash them to they about break, or don't play them. That's why I recommend 4 Switch Atari 2600.

As for as games, I am a little bias, I love H.E.R.O. (It'll cost you $10 - $15). Of course games like Frogger, Stampede, River Raid, PitFall!, Frogs & Flies, Bezerk, Joust, etc. are really fun too.

Welcome to the Atari Community, fellow Atarian.

Oh yeah, forgot to mention - if you buy games that aren't PAL format, they'll work OK but the colours will be all wrong - which can be funny in itself

If you get a chance try to get Boxed Activision games with the picture (screenshot) labels, they come with the BEST manuals, full of tips and notes by the author - real great retro stuff. (and I, like you, didnt have Atari when I was a kid, me and all my mates worshipped at the altar of Uncle Clive Sinclair )

Originally posted by Matty -

To 2) You can play near all games on the 7800er, but there are only a few games that not work (I only read that, but never test it).  

Ive had problems with the aforementioned Space Shuttle, Activision Decathlon and Robot Tank.

The Atariage FAQ lists a couple of other titles that are problematic in NTSC but 3-6 games not working out of the hundreds available is a small price to pay.

Adam

quote:

Originally posted by liveinabin:

But if you want to play Activisions 'space shuttle' with the overlays, you'll need a 6 switch. Not making this difficult, are we?

You can also play Space Shuttle easily on a 4 Switch, or maybe even a Junior with my modified Atari 2600 console and controllers.

My 15-Pin System/Controller Information

I will even sell modified systems and controllers -- I am not on my website yet because I am still trying to work out some details.

Post from Liveinabin -

also try Retrogames.co.uk  

Rather than buy from his web site you'll get the games he lists cheaper from him if you buy them on e-bay.

retrogames.co.uk is one of UK's best ebay atari sellers in my opinion. Buy enough from him and he'll even throw in a couple of free pens!

I want to know where retrogames gets all his stock from???????? The quality is usually so good there just like the've come straight from the production line. He must of bought all of toys r us left over stock in an auction in '91 or something. Lucky sod.

Adam

One place that still sells boxed Atari Jr's is Telegames based in Leicester, address below

www.telegames.co.uk

As for versions of VCS, I don't think that there is any real difference between 2600's.

There are a few other auction sites (Yahoo! has one, UK based). I have also come across stuff in local papers.

As for good games, HERO is very smart and Frostbite is great too. I also really like stuff like Video Checkers and Othello.

I have a 6-switch woodgrain (looks lovely although the aerial lead is permanently joined onto the console) and a little Junior model (which has a replacable aerial, so you can get a better lead if you want).

I think there's something to be said about that "removeable aerial." I have two Intellivisions that have the female RCA (phono) jack. They wear out leaving you without much choice but to wiggle and force it until the screen gets clear. I say stick with the non-removable ones (which are actually easily removable if you tear the 2600 open.