IGNORED

You gotta see this

atari70s

I emailed Albert about the copyright varations jokingly cause i want to help them make a page for it. but he will but not right now . lore and be hold i see this http://cgi.ebay.com/aw-cgi/eBayISAPI.dll?V...item=1324697074 some kid or guy will see this and think a 1987 real sports football cart is rare.

"Atari 2600 RealSports Football silver label with 1987 copyright! Atariage.com doesn't even list one with this copyright, only a 1982 & 1988 version"

good think i started invenorying my copy right years. i have a half a mind to email the guy about it. lol. oh well . i thought youd get a kick out of it

Well i chose to email the dude and heres what i got back

"Hello,

I have to tell you, Atariage is a cool website, very useful to sort all these games out and find out whats hot and whats not. Thanks!"

illl kindly take out the part of him having a 1986 cart i might get hehe.

Albert there you go you got yourself anotehr atariage fan

Hi hi hi, I have it complete boxed with manual this RealSports Football NTSC from 1987, will someone buy it for only US$ 200?

I have too some RealSports Tennis with diffrent dates. 1986 and 1988 both PAL with Silver Lable. These too not in the list from AtariAge. Together I sell them for US$ 400. But these are not boxed and no Manual.

Or will someone trade it for Prototypes.

Not really, I only joking. Someone think these games are Rare, because they not listed here. But the list is not complete, so not all Game or Lable variants listed yet.

But if an other year from the same game is not so Rare most the others are not so Rare too.

So you can buy them for a very cheap price. I have only joking with this prices, but if someone will pay so much, I say not NO.

Maybe in some years the list here is more complete and these games have then a rarity from 2-3 too. Then I never get my US$ 200. But now I can try it.

To the ebayaction at the beginning, I have get this game in germany on ebay for cheaper then 10 $, don't know how much it was, but my was complete new. So this one is not Rare at all. But this game is NTSC only, so in german is it a bit rarer.

We don't have very many copyright differences in the database right now, and we're going to very soon (today, perhaps) remove all the ones we've currently put in as part of the main rarity listing. We'll then be adding this information to the individual entries for each game, along with nice label scans of them. I have a ton of label variations (hundreds, easily) in my own collection, so this will form the basis of these scans. Then we can ask AtariAge visitors to help fill in all the other gaps.

In addition, we'll have a nice report that will allow you to see *all* the label variations. It'll be simpler than the rarity guide listing and will probably only include games for which more than one variation exists.

I'm not pleased that someone would list a game not in our database as ULTRA RARE, especially a copyright variation of a common game. But hopefully this is a misunderstanding on what an omission from our database truly means (it means, we simply don't have it listed, for one reason or another, not that it's Super Ungodly Rare!), and not something that this seller will do again.

..Al

I have now removed minor label variations from the rarity guide and a few other queries (such as the company and programmer listings, which makes them a little cleaner). I'm now working on adding support to present label variations in another way, which should be pretty cool when I'm done.

..Al

So what variations aren't considerd "minor" variations? I did a check and Pole Position, for instance, only comes up with the "Pole Positn" variation. Since that has a seperate rarity, shouldn't it, at least, have a separate listing?

Just to confirm, the major variations I know of are:

Atari

Text

Black

Silver1 (includes late 80's grey)

Silver2 (ditto)

Red1 (includes 'maroon')

Red2 (ditto)

Activision

Screenshot

Full label image

Text

20th Century Fox

Black

Red

U.S. Games

Beveled

Non-Beveled

That's all I can think of off the top of my head.

Basically I'm wondering what will qualify as a "major" variation?

quote:

Originally posted by Rhindle The Red:

So what variations
aren't
considerd "minor" variations? I did a check and
Pole Position
, for instance, only comes up with the "Pole Positn" variation. Since that has a seperate rarity, shouldn't it, at least, have a separate listing?

Pole Position should be listed twice, one with a normal Silver label and the other with the abbreviated "Pole Positn" variation. I've fixed this (it was a result of my earlier change). In the main rarity guide listing we are only listing variations that we think would be of interest to most collectors. You can look at the following page for a list of the major label variations:

Atari 2600 Label Guide

In addition to these, we include other labels that have significant differences from other labels. For instance, the "Pole Positn" variation. The model number variations of the Sears carts. The Atlantis Day and Night scene variations. Stuff like that. But definitely not copyright variations.

..Al

[ 01-21-2002: Message edited by: Albert ]

@matthias:

they're all pole position silver labels. .... with variations in the date and on the end label. the orange one is pretty funny. the producers must have been drunk or something like that. maybe opium, as these were produced in asia

i don't think any of those is really rare, even with the small errors/variations ..... but a complete set with all the differences is still an interesting thing to have ...

while i would find boring to have just different dates, i must admit. don't take this personal, atari70s, i know you like date variations. but i think most of the atari titles were produced for years and years until the market crashed and even afterwards until the 90ies. so there can be a multitude of different dates on the carts, if the producing company or atari haven't been too lazy to change the labels.

[ 01-20-2002: Message edited by: jahfish ]

Did you fix something?

I swear I only got one when I checked a few minutes ago.

I know it's anal (then again it's me, so...) but shouldn't you consider the subdivisions of Silver and Red as major variations?

I know the two different Silver Mario Bros. labels look very different (at least to me).

quote:

Did you fix something?

I swear I only got one when I checked a few minutes ago.

I know it's anal (then again it's me, so...) but shouldn't you consider the subdivisions of Silver and Red as major variations?

I know the two different Silver
Mario Bros.
labels look
very
different (at least to me).

Yes, I fixed Pole Position after I saw your first message. We do consider Silver and Red major variations, do you see an example of where one or the other should be listed and isn't?

As for the two Mario Bros., you're right, they are pretty different and probably should be listed in the rarity guide as separate entries. There are surely other titles like this (Crystal Castles, anyone?), I just went through and honored a "minor" bit that fortunately was already in the database but wasn't being used by the queries. So now we can pay more attention to individual entries, such as the ones you're pointing out (thanks!)

Keep being anal.

..Al

Albert,

to the guy when i emailed him i said that there are alots of copy right varations with text labels color varataions. and if you want to get really deep into it the stamps on the end label of the carts R 23 2. Atariage.com tries to cover the basic label varations and if someone has something of interest and sends it in a scan. Atariage is pleased to send in cart scans if they have something that isnt on the list. There might be a list of the copy right varations in the future but there is so much great stuff being done on the site there hasnt been time for a inventory and scans of ever copy varation of every cart.

I not really search for diffrent dates so much. All diffrent dates that I have was luck. Here on a fleamarket one game for 1,-DM, here in the action one set with games where I need other games.

But I hate it to trade diffrent dates, so I hold them in my collection.

Diffrent Lables are much better, but I most collect them on my favourites games like Dragonfire and Bobby, where I have now 8.

So I only have diffrent dates when I get them for a very cheap price. But most I look not on this.

[ 01-20-2002: Message edited by: MattyXB ]

quote:

Originally posted by Albert:

We do consider Silver and Red major variations, do you see an example of where one or the other should be listed and isn't?

I know Silver and Red were considered major divisions. When I said "subdivisions of Red and Silver" I meant the subdivisions of Red: Red1 (color picture, large image) & Red2 (b&w picture, small image) and the subdivisions of Silver: Silver1 (big 'Atari 2600', red stripe) & Silver2 (small 'Atari 2600', full logo).*

The Mario Bros. that is currently coming up uses Silver2. (And looks awful, btw. Do you need a new scan?) The listing I see says "Silver label - 1983", except both versions of the label say '1983', so that's not really a good way to distinguish them.

*(Or are Silver1 & Silver2 backwards there? For someone as anal as I am, I should remember the difference.)

quote:

I know Silver and Red were considered major divisions. When I said "subdivisions of Red and Silver" I meant the subdivisions of Red: Red1 (color picture, large image) & Red2 (b&w picture, small image) and the subdivisions of Silver: Silver1 (big 'Atari 2600', red stripe) & Silver2 (small 'Atari 2600', full logo).*

The
Mario Bros.
that is currently coming up uses Silver2. (And looks awful, btw. Do you need a new scan?) The listing I see says "Silver label - 1983", except both versions of the label say '1983', so that's not really a good way to distinguish them.

Ahhh, I see what you're saying. Yeah, we haven't split up the Red and Silver labels like that yet. Perhaps we should, but before doing so I'd prefer to get a coherent list of exactly what titles are available in each style for both Red and Silver labels. I'll have to go through all my carts and make a list and I'm sure we can get people here to help. I see that the Giant List of Label Variations makes these distinctions, so I can probably use that as a reference.

The poor scan of Mario Bros. you're referring to is the game from my collection. This is Silver2. The Silver1 variation is here. I didn't remove the minor label variations from the database, just from most of the various queries (like the Rarity Guide). For the moment you can only get to the minor variations from the Profile Page for the individual games. If you have a better scan of that Mario Bros. I'd be glad to replace the existing scan with it.

As for distinguishing different minor labels, we already do that in the database, with a short description that gets tacked onto the label type. With copyright variations it's easy, just tack on "1986" or whatever. Or "Pole Posit'n". Or, "Night Scene" vs. "Day Scene". It's usually not too difficult to come up with a short phrase to distinguish the labels. If you can't describe a label variation in a few words, then it's probably a variation not worth worrying about.

..Al