IGNORED

Stone Age (CCE)

Rom Hunter

Tempest,

Are you also going to review Stone Age from CCE?

It's most probably a TechnoVision Proto (TVS 1014 according to DP, although TVS 1004 seems far more likely).

BTW: Why the hell is nobody dumping Stone Age? Is it that difficult to do?

8)

It's being held in protest until someone dumps the supposed NTSC Air Raid. :P

I'm only about 50% on CCE Stone Age being the same game as the vaporware Technovision prototype. It's not done in the same style as their other games.

Well, Thomas did some investigations:

"After some further investigations of the code, I think Stone Age may be a Technovision game. All three of their games share some code patterns with this one. Most obvious when looking at the graphics only are the score digits.

But I am not 100% sure, especially because the dump produces only 246 scanlines, which is even below the 262 NTSC scanlines and far away from PAL's 312 scanlines. And AFAIK all Technovision games are PAL (though some NTSC versions have been found lately). Maybe it's a prototype that leaked out."

That's why I thought it could be the TechnoVision proto.

8)

That'd also mean the other games mentioned but undiscovered listed under Technovision may be out there somewhere as well.

Who knows?

About Locomotive (TVS 1004) DP states:

"According to Leonard Herman, this game was shown at the 1983 Summer CES show, along with their other 3 titles (which did get released)."

8)

Who knows?

About Locomotive (TVS 1004) DP states:

"According to Leonard Herman, this game was shown at the 1983 Summer CES show, along with their other 3 titles (which did get released).

Maybe Len got this one confused with Locoimotion which does exist?

http://www.atariprotos.com/2600/software/l.../locomotion.htm

Tempest

Here's TechnoVision's Locomotive (TVS 1004).

The Story:

You're a prisoner in a sorcerer's train factory.

The only way out is to build your own train.

Put all the right parts together in the right order.

But watch out! Even the tools try to stop you.

They come to live and attack.

Hammers, wrenches and nails fly at you at every angle and you have only an oil ... to ... them the ....

In LOCOMOTIVE!

8)

post-6203-1112902256_thumb.jpg

This is NOT a hack of Pengo, that's for sure.

Although there is a rumored TechnoVision Stone Age (TVS 1014) and although the score digits are indeed the same as the ones used in the TechnoVision games, this game looks much simpler than the TechnoVision ones (look at the "blocks" for lives, for example).

The fact that it has 246 scanlines, doesn't mean that it isn't a TechnoVision title.

All TechnoVision titles were first announced for release in the U.S.

8)

Edited by Rom Hunter

• 8 years later...

Digging up this one.....

Maybe Len got this one confused with Locomotion which does exist?

http://www.atariprotos.com/2600/software/l.../locomotion.htm

There was never any confusion. According to Len, Locomotive was shown at the CES by VTech/VTL, along with the other three released TechnoVision titles. I've discussed this with him on more than one occasion.

This is NOT a hack of Pengo, that's for sure.

No...but Stone Age is/was a clone of Pengo for sure, just as Locomotive was a clone of BurgerTime. Neither game was an original title either; they were both ports of CreatiVision games.

post-9346-0-76627600-1388249725_thumb.gif post-9346-0-08676000-1388249811_thumb.jpg

Although there is a rumored TechnoVision Stone Age (TVS 1014) and although the score digits are indeed the same as the ones used in the TechnoVision games, this game looks much simpler than the TechnoVision ones (look at the "blocks" for lives, for example).

That doesn't mean much. It was probably developed earlier, or simply by a different programmer than the three released titles. The fact that it shares common code with the three known TechnoVision releases is no coincidence. These games are probably based on variants of the same kernel. They all have the exact same score counter, as well as the stripe at the bottom of the screen with the TechnoVision company logo (which has been replaced with "CCE" in Stone Age, of course).

post-9346-0-90394500-1388250344_thumb.gif post-9346-0-05555900-1388250396_thumb.gif

There is little doubt that Stone Age by TechnoVision and CCE are one and the same. The alternate theory that "Stone Age" by CCE is really Dinograms by ZiMAG doesn't hold any water. Other than the fact that both games would (apparently) involve dinosaurs, I don't see any reason to believe there was a connection.

The fact that it has 246 scanlines, doesn't mean that it isn't a TechnoVision title.

All TechnoVision titles were first announced for release in the U.S.

Correct, so one would think that there were official NTSC versions of all of these games at one point. And even if not, CCE could've just converted it. I do tend to think that these were all PAL originally, just like the CreatiVision games.

As I mentioned above, both Locomotive and Stone Age were published by VTech for the CreatiVision. Although Stone Age appears to have been barely released (if it was officially released at all) because it's insanely rare, and no box has been found as far as I know. So it wouldn't be a surprise that the 2600 version never made it out the door.

post-9346-0-06080700-1388249919_thumb.jpg post-9346-0-78724900-1388249972_thumb.jpg