IGNORED

Rainbow Vision/Suntek (updated list on post 1!)

Rom Hunter

Here's the most complete Rainbow Vision/Suntek list on the net to date:

Rainbow Vision / Suntek:
SS-001 Time Race (Space Jockey - U.S. Games)
SS-002 Galactic (The Challenge of.... Nexar - Spectravision/Spectravideo)
SS-003 Pac-Kong (Inca Gold - Funvision)
SS-004 Pyramid War (Chopper Command - Activision)
SS-005 Tom Boy (Pitfall! - Activision)
SS-006 Netmaker (Amidar - Parker Brothers)
SS-007 Space Raid (Megamania - Activision)
SS-008 The Year 1999 (Condor Attack - Ultravision)
SS-009 Bermuda, The (River Raid - Activision)
SS-010 Mafia (Gangster Alley - Spectravision/Spectravideo)
SS-011 Super Ferrari (Enduro - Activision)
SS-012 Hey! Stop! (Keystone Kapers - Activision)
SS-013 Bi! Bi! (Skindiver - Sancho/Tang's Electronic Co.)
SS-014 ? (could be a hack of Laser Gates from Imagic and carry the same label as Weltraumtunnel from Quelle)
SS-015 Catch Time (Plaque Attack - Activision)
SS-016 Boom Bang (Crackpots - Activision)
SS-017 Mariana (Seaquest - Activision)
SS-018 Mid-Time (The End of the World - Dimax/Sinmax)
SS-019 Curtiss (Atlantis - Imagic)
SS-020 Tuby Bird (Dolphin - Activision)

Suntek:
SS-021 Dragon Defender (Dragon Power - Home Vision)
SS-022 Motocross (Madcycle - Home Vision)
SS-023 Mole Hunter (Topy - Home Vision)
SS-024 Ski Run (Ski Run - Taiwan TP6xx Series)
SS-025 Spectracube Invasion (Immies & Aggies - ZiMAG/Emag/Vidco)
SS-026 Treasure Island (Treasure Discovery - Home Vision)
SS-027 Zoo Fun (Pumuckl at the Zoo - Home Vision)
SS-028 Firebug (Spinning Fireball - ZiMAG/Emag/Vidco)
SS-029 Asteroid Belt (Asteroid Fire - Home Vision)
SS-030 Skydiver (Parachute - Home Vision)
SS-031 UFO Patrol (X'Mission - Home Vision)
SS-032 Walker (Guignol - Home Vision)
SS-033 I.Q. Memory Teaser (IQ 180 - Home Vision)
SS-034 Farmyard Fun (Pumuckl at the Farm House - Home Vision)
SS-035 Panda (Quest) (Panda Chase - Home Vision)
SS-036 Criminal Persuit (A Mysterious Thief - ZiMAG/Emag/Vidco)

Important Notes:

Rainbow Vision boxes numbered higher than SS-020 are not known to exist. Only Suntek versions are!
S.S. means Sun Science, NOT Star Soft, Sunus Suntek, Suntek Software or whatever your imagination can come up with!

8)

Edited by Rom Hunter

Does anyone have any idea how IQ 180 played or any other information on it?  I ask as information on the game is virtually non-existent.

IQ 180 is one the most simple Atari 2600 games ever made.

The title screen shows us 25 letters of the alphabet (where did the Z go?) and 5 symbols, representing little figures.

If you press F1 to start, you will see the first screen with all the letters and symbols randomly presented and numbered from 1 to 30.

If you move the blinking cursor with your joystick down (in the direction of the red arrows), the second screen will appear with the same letters and symbols also numbered 1 to 30, but in a different order.

You will also be confronted by a horrible tune.

While the tune is playing, you will have to memorize the positions of the letters and symbols of both the screens by looking at their corresponding number (use your joystick to move the cursor in the direction of the arrows to let the other screen appear) or just write down the thirty letters and symbols of one screen on a piece of paper.

When the tune stops, all the letters and symbols of both screens will change into little squares and a timer will count down from 1000 to 0.

You have to memory match the same letters (or symbols) by pressing fire when your cursor is on the correct square.

When two letters (or symbols) match, you will get 1 point and the two matching letters (or symbols) will stay on screen.

When the two letters (or symbols) don't match, they will change into little squares again.

If you manage to match all the thirty letters and symbols before the timer reaches zero, you will be confronted by another horrible tune and the game will end.

If you do not manage to match all the thirty letters and symbols before the timer reaches zero, you will still be confronted by the same horrible tune and the game will end.

When the game has ended you are still able to move the cursor and change squares into letters (or symbols).

Happy gaming...

8)

Edited by Rom Hunter

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 months later...

All titles under 'Maybe Rainbow Vision - Suntek' are rumored Rainbow Vision - Suntek titles.

If anybody has a scan to proof that these are real Rainbow Vision - Suntek titles, please let me know.

As you can see in the list, I'm still looking for the original game titles of:

Dragon Defender (SS-021)

Motocross (SS-022)

Ski Run (SS-024)

Asteroid Belt (SS-029)

UFO Patrol (SS-031)

If you know the original title of any of these games, please let me know.

Thomas Jentzsch found out that the Motocross ROM contains Home Vision traces, but unfortunately it's not known which Home Vision title is the same game as Motocross.

I really hope that somebody can check the other Rainbow Vision - Suntek titles (with a question mark behind them) for Home Vision traces too!

Maybe some tough riddles are solved this way.

8)

Edited by Rom Hunter

Challenge (?)

Farmyard Fun (?)

King Authur (Dragonfire - Imagic)

Surround'Em (?)

Skydiver (Parachute - Home Vision)

Duck Shoot (Kampf um die Schatzinsel - Quelle)

I think it's pretty safe to assume that none of these are Suntek and/or Rainbowvision. Challenge is from HES, Farmyard Fun is from Taiwan ROC, King Authur is either a brandless pirate or a Hi-Score / Action Hi-Tech title, Surround'Em is from Hi-Score, and Duck Shoot sounds like a brandless pirate. Only Skydiver might be a Suntek release, but as no proof is available it could just as well be anything else (Supervision, Spacevision, Starvision, MoMo, Funvision, Fantastic Game, Datatech etc etc).

On another note, it's not confirmed that all Suntek games were released as Rainbowvision also. From the higher numbers, only the Suntek releases have been confirmed (through the name on the box). As far as I know, the highest Rainbowvision serial number that has been found is SS-020.

Cheers,

Marco

Thanks for the info, Marco!

I also think that Surround'Em and King Author don't fit in.

Sky Diver could be a Rainbow Vision - Suntek title.

And Duck Shoot (AKA Kampf um die Schatzinsel) is an interesting title.

Where did it originally come from?

I'm not sure about Farmyard Fun and Challenge, though.

Let's compare Taiwan R.O.C. (Video Game Cartridge) to Rainbow Vision:

Catch Time (TP-602) = Catch Time (SS-015)

Criminal Pursuit (TP-619) = Criminal Persuit (SS-036)

Dragon Defender (TP-605) = Dragon Defender (SS-021)

Hole Hunter (TP-606) = Mole Hunter (SS-023)

Ski Run (TP-607) = Ski Run (SS-024)

Farmyard Fun (TP-617) could very well be a lost Rainbow Vision game.

Challenge (HES) looks like it was programmed by the same person who did Dragon Defender, thus could also be a lost Rainbow Vision game.

I'm not saying that it is and I don't like jumping to conclusions, but the thought is interesting to say the least.

I know that no Rainbow Vision box numbered higher than SS-020 has ever surfaced and that no Rainbow Vision game numbered higher than SS-020 has it's game title on screen.

What I do know is that Suntek also released low numbers:

http://www.atarimania.com/detail_soft.php?...VERSION_ID=8015

BTW: in Time Race (SS-001) Suntek is still called: Sunteck Co.

8)

Edited by Rom Hunter

Ah, good theory on Farmyard Fun! I agree that could very well be a Suntek title. I remain very critical of the other titles though. Some of these listings came up in a time that very little was known about the OZ market and people were eager to slam manufacturers on games that were found. Without all of the amazing effort you and foxsolo are putting into this.

Cheers,

Marco

Farmyard Fun (TP-617) could very well be a lost Rainbow Vision game.

921611[/snapback]

I don't know if Suntek or Rainbow Vision ever released a version of Farmyard Fun, but I'm pretty sure it was originally created by/for ITT Family Games. In the early 1980s there was a German TV series for children called 'Pumuckl'. The main character in Farmyard Fun looks exactly like Pumuckl, and the game even plays the title melody from the TV series. I don't think the Pumuckl series got distributed much outside of Germany, and ITT Family Games seems to have had a license to produce games based on it.

The player sprite in Zoo Fun also looks like Pumuckl. This game uses the same display kernel as Panda Chase by Homevision. Zoo Fun is not a hack of Panda Chase though. It seems to be done by the same programmer who used the same display code for both games. Therefore I think that both, Zoo Fun and Farmyard Fun, were written by Homevision to be included in ITT's Pumuckl game series.

Ciao, Eckhard Stolberg

Farmyard Fun could be a lost Home Vision game.

One way to verify this is to look inside the Farmyard Fun ROM to see if there are any Home Vision traces inside.

The first three titles of the Pumuckl series from ITT Family Games are:

Pumuckl I (AKA Zoo Fun from Home Vision)

Peter Penguin (AKA Frisco from Home Vision)

Wilma Wanderer (AKA Lilly Adventure from Home Vision)

They were announced in the ITT catalog as: 'The first 3 games of the Pumuckl-serie', so it could well be that there were more in development.

The fact that the main character in Farmyard Fun looks like Pumuckl and that the music in the game sounds like the Pumuckl title melody does not mean that Farmyard Fun is excluded from being also released by Rainbow Vision - Suntek.

Some Rainbow Vision - Suntek titles (two for sure) are originally Home Vision titles:

Mole Hunter (Rainbow Vision SS-023) = Topy (Home Vision VCS83126)

Walker (Rainbow Vision SS-032) = Clown Down Town (Home Vision VCS831??)

I.Q. Memory Teaser (Rainbow Vision SS-033) = IQ-180 (Home Vision VCS831??)

Panda (Quest) (Rainbow Vision SS-035) = Panda Chase (Home Vision VCS83105)

My advise is to examine the Farmyard Fun ROM for Home Vision data.

8)

Edited by Rom Hunter

I agree with your theory Rom. In my searches others have told me that the PumuckI series included Farmyward Fun and Zoo Fun and the fact that the main character bore an uncanny resemblance to the PumuckI character has to be more than just a simple coincidence.

Just a quick Q from a new Aussie 2600 collector (but long term Atari madman):

In regards to the Rainbow Vision SS carts, where they only made in/for/released in Australia (PAL) ONLY, or where they distributed in NTSC and elsewhere?

Also, anyone know how rare these carts are or where i could find a rough priceguide? I see these carts around from time to time, but still are quite scarce (in my experience and also judging from my friends' vast collections of carts). I only have 1 cart so far: Hey! Stop!

Thanks!

AFAIK Rainbow Vision titles were only distributed in Australia.

Suntek titles were distributed in Europe and Australia.

I don't think NTSC Rainbow Vision or Suntek titles exist.

Here's a rarity guide for Rainbow Vision titles:

http://www.retroreview.com/paldatabase/Sea...&user=&label=60

8)

Edited by Rom Hunter

AFAIK Rainbow Vision titles were only distributed in Australia.

Suntek titles were distributed in Europe and Australia.

I don't think NTSC Rainbow Vision or Suntek titles exist.

Here's a rarity guide for Rainbow Vision titles:

http://www.retroreview.com/paldatabase/Sea...&user=&label=60

8)

923027[/snapback]

Thanks! :)