IGNORED

Fair price for ST system.

What's a fair price to pay for a working 1040 ST system?

The one I'm looking at has:

1040ST

Atari (not sure of model number)Color monitor

and a box full of about 50 disks.

One other thing, why is the 8-bit forum more active then the ST one?

thanks..

Any former WMAUG (Western Mass Atari User Group) members on here?

My name is Rick Lafleur and i was a member of that group for a while.

I see 520sts from $10-$20 on average, sometime with and without the SC1224 (color) or SM124 (B&W) monitors.

1040st's generally around $15-$25, same thing with the monitors.

Mega ST's usually sell in the $50-$100 range,

Mega STe's and TT030's are now in the $150-$200 range

Falcon's in the $175-$275 range max

Curt

How compatible is the Falcon with most ST software?

Also can you help me find a web site with lots of Falcon info?

I figure if I'm gonna get a used ST i might as well get the best/last one released.

Are there any hardcore Falcon user's here?

Thanks again.

I am gonna have to disagree with the prices mentioned. Falcons in particular go for 400-600 dollars. ST's might be 50-100 ish, megas for 250 or so. TT's that are loaded can go for around 500ish too. Go look at the historical prices and you'll see what I mean.

The falcons are not particularly compatible with ST software. Your best bet in that dept is to get a mega 4 or mega ste. Those rae good machines with pretty good comptaiblilty.

Falcons are wonderful machines, though. I have 3 of them and am waiting for the 100MHZ CT63 upgrade from R. Czuba! :)

As far as the activity goes, 8 bit is just more popular.

*edit*

hmm, I just took my own advice and looked. He's right about the 1040's and 520's, they are pretty cheap. The others are still about where I mentioned, especially if geared out with extra RAM or large HD's.

Edited by danwinslow

Ok maybe the Falcons not a good idea for me.

What's the most powerfull ST system that's good at running most ST software?

How about hard drive's? If I buy the 1040 ST from my friend how hard would it be to find one?

Thanks for the help guys....

Its all going to depend on what you plan to use your ST for... if its for games, and maybe some application usage (Word processing, terminal use or using CAB Browser with a TCPIP stack) then any of the ST's from the 1040 through the Mega's will do you well, if you have hopes of Linux or BSD Unix and want to take advantage of using SCSI HD's and such, you may want to consider the TT030 and Falcon030 since you'll need a Motorola 68030 to get the job done, the drawback with the TT and Falcon are its video mode compatibility, they have some compatibility, but not when it comes to games, so bear that in mind. Especially the TT's

Curt

Its all going to depend on what you plan to use your ST for...  the drawback with the TT and Falcon are its video mode compatibility, they have some compatibility, but not when it comes to games, so bear that in mind.  Especially the TT's

Curt

838250[/snapback]

So what your saying is the TT is less compatible then the Falcon playing ST games?

I don't think the kid that has the 1040 I was talking about wants to sell it now!! :x

It was mine to begain with, but i got bored with it last year and gave it to him..my fault i guess!

I think he saw my excitement about buying it and decided he might have a good thing! Now he's asking me how to copy disk images from the net to disk from the pc.

He noticed i had a couple of game with nice color printout's on the disk.. hey.. I had to play Dungeon Master again!!

hahaha

to much coffee must go now...

still looking for old WMAUG people!

So what your saying is the TT is less compatible then the Falcon playing ST games?

yes, Falcon is more compatible with ST. Some games works without problems on Falcon (especialy STE games as Substation or Obsession). And it is also possible to use Backward for the other games. There is list of Falcon compatible games somewhere around.

FWIW, I've never seen a Falcon go for over $400 unless it came heavily modded and with a ton of extras. Most Falcons I've seen on eBay have gone for between $300 to $400, with a few going over and under that price range. Mine cost a hell of a lot less than that.

FWIW, I've never seen a Falcon go for over $400 unless it came heavily modded and with a ton of extras. Most Falcons I've seen on eBay have gone for between $300 to $400, with a few going over and under that price range. Mine cost a hell of a lot less than that.

841499[/snapback]

You got lucky huh, under $300?

What monitor do most Falcon user's use?

ST monitor, VGA or hooked up to a TV?

You got lucky huh, under $300?

Yeah I did get lucky. I can thank Clint Thompson for the great deal I got. :cool:

As for monitors, I mainly use a VGA and occassionally use an old C= monitor via composite for games/programs that don't like VGA. Sadly, I do not have an ST monitor or adapter right now.

• 10 months later...

I finally got the ST back from my friend!

He's going in the Navy and decided to give it back to me!

unpacked.jpg

I just got it last nite. I'm gonna make a nice monitor stand for it soon.

I'm thinking of painting the ST case too. I've seen some really nice paint job's posted

here.

i'll be back once I set it all up....

841610[/snapback]

I am using VGA LCD. But sometimes switch to TV via SCART for watching some demo. Lot of old demos works only on RGB or TV :(

841865[/snapback]

I've heard that you can use the newer LCD TVs for a Falcon. You would still have to check the horizontal sync rate and make sure it could go down to 15k..as long as it does, you should be able to do both RGB and VGA with it. They are very pricey though!

I chose another route becaue of the price. I picked up a multisync monitor switch and a used NEC 3D from Ebay ($35). Now I can get up to 800x600 rez in VGA and still watch those ultra-cool mega demos like "Hmm" and "Beams" on one monitor. :)

Launch "Beams"...with my chair leaned back, feet propped up, stereo system cranked up, drinking a brewski... Man, thats living!

I finally got the ST back from my friend!

He's going in the Navy and decided to give it back to me!

I just got it last nite. I'm gonna make a nice monitor stand for it soon.

I'm thinking of painting the ST case too. I've seen some really nice paint job's posted

here.

i'll be back once I set it all up....

1026757[/snapback]

Coolness! Keep us updated on your progress.

Well here's my progress so far. It's not much, but it's a start.

I made this plastic acrylic stand at work today. Looks good and

get's the job done.

acrstand.jpg

I'm still trying to decide if I wanna rip this sucker apart so I can paint

it a nice jet black...the ST not that stand :ponder:

I've asked this before. Here go's again. I'm looking for CAD

software that will import .DXF files on the ST.

I guess I should look for a hard drive now too.... anyone know of any

good deals floating around the net?

thanks!

Well here's my progress so far. It's not much, but it's a start.

I made this plastic acrylic stand at work today. Looks good and

get's the job done.

acrstand.jpg

I'm still trying to decide if I wanna rip this sucker apart so I can paint

it a nice jet black...the ST not that stand :ponder:

Nice work!

I have seen some cool painted STs :) Yes, I would do that if the case of ST is not grey but yellow from the sun. But I am not sure with this ST. It is looking good in the picture, only some keys are yellow.

I've asked this before. Here go's again. I'm looking for CAD

software that will import .DXF files on the ST.

yes, there is lot of commercial CAD systems, but there is also shareware ST-CAD. I think the latest version is on chapelie ftp server. It is not bad I used it some times ago