11 replies to this topic

#1 Atari Smeghead OFFLINE  

Atari Smeghead

Stargunner

• 1,162 posts
  • Driving Crazy-available everywhere books are sold

Posted Sat Apr 16, 2005 8:59 AM

Howdee!

I recently picked up a KoalaPad in a lot from a thrift store. I've never had or used one, so I have no clue.

I did a search for software online. All I could find was Koala MicroIllustrator, but the only .atr files I found were all cracked to use the joystick.

Anyone have any .atrs of any usable KoalaPad software? What all is there? I'm not even sure, at this point, how to test the thing.

Thanks,
Smeg

#2 _Fandal_ OFFLINE  

_Fandal_

Dragonstomper

• 766 posts

Posted Sun Apr 17, 2005 2:18 AM

Howdee!

I recently picked up a KoalaPad in a lot from a thrift store.  I've never had or used one, so I have no clue.

I did a search for software online.  All I could find was Koala MicroIllustrator, but the only .atr files I found were all cracked to use the joystick.

Anyone have any .atrs of any usable KoalaPad software?  What all is there? I'm not even sure, at this point, how to test the thing.

Thanks,
Smeg

View Post

Try Spider Eater game. It requires koala pad...

F.

#3 Atari Smeghead OFFLINE  

Atari Smeghead

Stargunner

• Topic Starter
  • 1,162 posts

Posted Sun Apr 24, 2005 8:17 AM

Thank you, Fandal, for the reply! I'll give that a try in a bit.

I did some more research, for anyone who ever ends up caring... :roll:
-------------

Subject: 8.7) What programs have a paddle(s) or Koala Pad mode?

Andreas Magenheimer contributes:

Super Breakout (Atari) Breakout clone
Live Wire (Analog) tempest clone
Live wire 2 (Analog) tempest clone
Planetary Defense (Analog)
Pong (Antic) Pong clone
Pong (Analog) Pong clone
PlatterMania from Epyx
Clowns and Balloons
Super Ball (Compy Shop Magazin) Breakout clone
Arkanoid (Taito/Imagic) Breakout clone
Koala/Micro-Illustrator (Island graphics/Koala Ware) graphics program
Chiseler (Antic or Analog) a Breakout clone
Slime (Synapse) a slimy shooter...
Chicken (Synapse) catch the Chicken eggs...
One on One (Compute!) a breakout/warlords clone
Paratroop Attack by David Plotkin
all Pinballs created with the P.C.S.
(use left paddle trigger for left flipper and right paddle trigger for
right flipper; or simply use a joystick and left/right/fire button);
many more Pong and Breakout clones
(forgot their names, maybe someone can help here!)
- many more programs (which I do not remember right now!)

for Koala Pad only: - Micro-Illustrator / Koala Painter
- other Koala Pad painters or programs

Now, since it says Paddles *OR* Koala, I'm not sure if this means most of these won't work with Koala. But I'll give some of them a try and report back.

...just dyin' to know, aren't ya? :D

Smeg

#4 www.atarimania.com OFFLINE  

www.atarimania.com

Stargunner

• 1,731 posts

Posted Sun Apr 24, 2005 10:42 AM

There are some other programs from Koala Technologies and other companies that work with the KoalaPad but they haven't been dumped yet...

--
Atari Frog
http://www.atarimania.com

#5 JB OFFLINE  

JB

Quadrunner

• 9,306 posts
  • With Stereo-Of-The-Art-Sound

Posted Sun Apr 24, 2005 10:49 AM

Now, since it says Paddles *OR* Koala, I'm not sure if this means most of these won't work with Koala.  But I'll give some of them a try and report back.

...just dyin' to know, aren't ya?  :D

Smeg

View Post

I suspect it means that the KoalaPad reads as a pair of paddles. Sort of like an Etch-a-Sketch, one knob is your X axis,the other your Y axis.

Edit: pruned the quote down to the relevant part.

Edited by JB, Sun Apr 24, 2005 1:25 PM.

#6 Dr. Van Thorp OFFLINE  

Dr. Van Thorp

Chopper Commander

• 177 posts

Posted Sun Apr 24, 2005 11:37 AM

Smeg

View Post

[/quote]
I suspect it means that the KoalaPad reads as a pair of paddles. Sort of like an Etch-a-Sketch, one knob is your X axis,the other your Y axis.

View Post

[/quote]

Yep. The Koala software could be used with a pair of paddles, but I don't recomend it.

Also, most paddle-based games could be played with Koala Pad, but it might not work very well.

#7 Atari Smeghead OFFLINE  

Atari Smeghead

Stargunner

• Topic Starter
  • 1,162 posts

Posted Sun Apr 24, 2005 9:02 PM

Well, I tried Spider Eater and although it is a Koala Pad game, it apparently needs an overlay for it to make any sense at all. From what I gather, the game overlay is some sort of keyboard-lookin' thing. Ya hit notes to eat the spider.

So, without the overlay, I couldn't do much. But at least I was able to do something! It recognized some of my movements.

I also tried to use Rambrandt that Guitarman posted in a surprisingly similar topic in the Marketplace…

http://www.atariage....showtopic=67875

...and it, too, has apparently been altered to use a joystick. At least, with most of these games, the left and right buttons move the cursor but nothing I do on the pad does anything.

I loaded Livewire, and it kinda worked as well. But, attempting to use the KoalaPad as a paddle is nearly impossible, as far as I can tell. There's just no way to know what does what.

Of course, my Pad may be faulty. Which is why all I really want is something simple, an art program or a test program, that will allow me to drag my finger across the pad and make it do something tangible on the screen.

Thanks for the input, everyone!

Smeg

#8 frogstar_robot OFFLINE  

frogstar_robot

Dragonstomper

• 755 posts

Posted Sun Apr 24, 2005 9:13 PM

Well, I tried Spider Eater and although it is a Koala Pad game, it apparently needs an overlay for it to make any sense at all.  From what I gather, the game overlay is some sort of keyboard-lookin' thing.  Ya hit notes to eat the spider.

So, without the overlay, I couldn't do much. But at least I was able to do something!  It recognized some of my movements.

I also tried to use Rambrandt that Guitarman posted in a surprisingly similar topic in the Marketplace…

...and it, too, has apparently been altered to use a joystick.  At least, with most of these games, the left and right buttons move the cursor but nothing I do on the pad does anything.

I loaded Livewire, and it kinda worked as well.  But, attempting to use the KoalaPad as a paddle is nearly impossible, as far as I can tell.  There's just no way to know what does what.

Of course, my Pad may be faulty.  Which is why all I really want is something simple, an art program or a test program, that will allow me to drag my finger across the pad and make it do something tangible on the screen.

Thanks for the input, everyone!

Smeg

View Post

I had a Koala pad a long time ago. My memory is that the thing worked but it wasn't very sensitive. MY pad may have been faulty but I had to bear down on it quite hard to get accurate tracking.

#9 Jeff Lodoen OFFLINE  

Jeff Lodoen

Star Raider

• 75 posts

Posted Sun Apr 24, 2005 10:32 PM

...and it, too, has apparently been altered to use a joystick.  At least, with most of these games, the left and right buttons move the cursor but nothing I do on the pad does anything.

I suspected what the prob was. If you read the docs (boot side 2 of RAMBrant) it says to plug the joystick in PORT 1 and the pad in PORT 2. Select Atari or Koala on the boot screen. (The Atari pad has a third button on a wired stylus, and I think the axes are reversed.)

RAMBrant will start in stick mode. SHIFT-P will activate the pad in PORT 2. SHIFT-S will switch back to the stick in PORT 1.

#10 Mot OFFLINE  

Mot

Moonsweeper

• 420 posts

Posted Mon Apr 25, 2005 1:05 PM

Smeg

View Post

View Post

Yep. The Koala software could be used with a pair of paddles, but I don't recomend it.

Also, most paddle-based games could be played with Koala Pad, but it might not work very well.

View Post

I tried my KoalaPad on my 7800 with Kaboom! and Warlords and it work but not very well.

It only controls the paddles in about an inch range at the bottom right. Up down for player one, and right left for player two. The button on the right for player one and left for 2.

It was very hard to play.

Edited by Mot, Mon Apr 25, 2005 1:42 PM.

#11 CharlieChaplin OFFLINE  

CharlieChaplin

River Patroller

• 3,134 posts

Posted Wed Apr 27, 2005 7:43 AM

Well,
thats the reason why I splitted the list in the A8FAQ subject 8.7, the first (long) part counts games that should work with both devices, but where Paddles are much better than koala Pad. the second part (only one program "micro-illustrator") should count the programs which could also be used with both controllers, but where a koala-pad would be the better device... Andreas Magenheimer.

#12 Atari Smeghead OFFLINE  

Atari Smeghead

Stargunner

• Topic Starter
  • 1,162 posts

Posted Sat Apr 30, 2005 9:27 AM

Andreas,
It's a very helpful list. In fact, that whole website is a fantastic reference. I've used it many, many times over the years. I'm glad you contributed your knowledge to it!

As for the Koala Pad...

Jeff, thank you VERY MUCH for the info on how to use RAMbrandt. I, like most people, tend not to read the instructions. :D

I've come to the conclusion that this thing doesn't work well at all. With RAMbrandt, I could get the cursor to move around the four corners of the screen, by running my finger along the edges of the surface, but never could I get it in the middle. The majority of the surface just didn't do anything.

I'm done messing with it. So... I figure, easy come, easy go.

If anyone wants this KoalaPad, I'd sell it for the cost of shipping and PayPal... so, like 50 cents American plus actual shipping.

PM if interested.

Thanks again, everyone!

Smeg

0 user(s) are browsing this forum

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users