IGNORED

What 2600 has the advantage???

King Atari

I've been thinking about this one for awhile, so, here goes: What 2600 model, in your opinion, has the advantage over the others. For me, it's a tie between the 1978 6-switch, and the JR. The 6-switch has all the buttons right there, and has that classic look we all know and love. But, the newer red/silver label games and some 3rd party games don't fit right in it. However, the JR, while not as classic looking and only has 4 buttons on the top, is very compact and fits all the games. Of course, my favorite is the all black 2600, it was my first Atari, and still works (although I didn't know until recently that it was still alive, I noticed that there was some very small chewing on the cord, which I promptly put electrical tape over, and now works perfect, although I might replace the cord) but that's besides the point .

Does the Jr. have the controller ports on the front or back? I havent actually seen a Jr. in "person" in quite a while. I have a six switch, and the most obnoxious thing is the controller ports being on the back... Why did they put them together like that? Its so out of place. (Maybe because I am used to Dreamcast, Nintendo, ect.)

I think it just depends on the condition of the unit, really, although I did find some distinctions...

My 4-switch woodgrain 2600 causes the screen to snow whenever I flip the Game Reset switch. A friend of mine has a 2600jr that doesn't do that.

Also, from what I've read on this site (I think), apparently you can't normally fit Tigervision 2600 carts into an Atari 7800, although Atari 2600 carts are supposed to be backwards compatible with that system.

My favourite is old wood-grain six-switch model -- I like having the difficulty switches on the front.

I practice, however, I use my (Coleco) Gemini the most because of the very small size. The larger consoles are usually stored away.

I'll vote for Vader.

The 2600-A second rev, All Black 4 switch (Vader). It looks good, got some attitude, the all black treatment with silver letters makes it look like a bad boy, internally it ain't built as strong as the original 6-switch models but based on my personal experience is very reliable. The big case also makes it look more retro, unlike the Jr. with a reduced plastic case. With the Jr. version I think Atari went too far and took away most of the magic, I mean a real VCS must have a big case combined with sliding switches. The woodgrain looks cool in the original versions, but then again I like it more with the All Black treatment, makes it look like a device out of a Star Wars movie.

I'm done rambling

I have a Heavy Sixer (Sunnyvale Model) in original box, and everything in original boxes with it -- A woodgrain 6 Switch, a Black (Darth Vader) 4 Switch -- and a 7800.

From just the fact of the silver and red label games don't fit in any of my 6 Switches I would say the 4 Switch is the way to go. I don't like the picture quality of the 7800.

I haven't owned a JR. for quite a while, so I am not sure how to rate this one.

If you're having problems with picture quality, it most likely has more to do with a janky switchbox than it does the actual unit. I used to have a snowy picture or "ghosting" with certain cartridges... I got an RCA-to-RF connector from Radio Shack, bypassing the switchbox altogether, and now everything looks nice and clean.

I think the best one is the 4-switch woody... wood cuz it looks retro, 4-switch because it's the most compatible with all Atari carts, without having to "smash" them into the slot.

I currently have the Darth Vader model which I had for 15 years or so. My woodgrain fried out before that. The woodgrain gets the nod for the simple reason that the black model came equipped with only one joystick an no paddles. The woody came with two joysticks and the paddles. Atari was cutting costs, but I felt that is really cheap doing that.