IGNORED

HSC Season 2 Week 14: Keystone Kapers

Ze_ro

May we use the Zeller's "Busy Police" as a substitute? :?

The ROM is available here, unlike the Activision version. I only have Keystone Kapers for the 5200, and my local used game store does not have the VCS version in stock, either. If we can use Busy Police, I'll try it in Mac MESS.

-MS

Damn it now that means I hafta go for a max score.

Oh yeah, notice something else?

Todd's gone, and hey look, the last few weeks, the exact same thing happened as before! Looks like to me it wasn't todd that was keeping people away from playing the games, they was just looking for an excuse. Anyone want him back in?

Edited by keilbaca

May we use the Zeller's "Busy Police" as a substitute?  :?

The ROM is available here, unlike the Activision version.  I only have Keystone Kapers for the 5200, and my local used game store does not have the VCS version in stock, either.  If we can use Busy Police, I'll try it in Mac MESS.

-MS

841006[/snapback]

you should try my hack of the game(shameless plug) Laserman2k3

plays is simlar to KK just the graphics are changed a bit.

it up to Zero though if hacks can be used.

A few more games and I banged out a 50,100!

It seems that you need to get a little lucky with the elevator once you hit the dual high-bouncing balls. It just takes too long to reach the krook. The only success I had was when I could at least catch a good ride to the second floor.

Even still, I think I could max this with a little more practice. Once you get the timing down, it's just a matter of working those darn balls and catching a good ride on the elevator.

Figures. I haven't been following the HSC because I've been too busy at home to play, then I come here and it's one of my favorites! I was able to get 31,050. Gotta get that patch!

Luckily the levels with the two low bouncing balls don't last long and you'll move on to the much easier high bounce double balls.  Those are much easier to duck and keep you moving forward.

840654[/snapback]

That's good to know, because those double low bouncing balls did it to me every time!

May we use the Zeller's "Busy Police" as a substitute?  :?

you should try my hack of the game(shameless plug) Laserman2k3

plays is simlar to KK just the graphics are changed a bit.

it up to Zero though if hacks can be used.

Sure, why not... both of these should play and score the same, so I don't see any problem with it.

--Zero

Well this is great... I seem to be getting strange SQL errors when I try to edit the score list. It did this to me yesterday too. In any case, here's a current score list:

Current High Scores

• goldfuji.gif1,000,000 (StanJr)
    goldfuji.gif1,000,000 (the 5th ghost)
  • silverfuji.gif88,150 (davepesc)
  • bronzefuji.gif83,150 (sku_u)
  • 72,550 (Lord Helmet)
  • 58,150 (vdub_bobby)
  • 54,200 (Keir)
  • 52,450 (SpiceWare)
  • 49,300 (Fellow Atari Man)
  • 40,500 (Numan)
  • 38,900 (LarcenTyler)
  • 38,900 (Goochman)
  • 33,350 (video game addict)
  • 32,450 (Osbo)
  • 31,300 (scogey)
    31,300 (keilbaca)
  • 28,450 (Dan Iacovelli)
  • 15,300 (Mad Scientist)
  • 15,150 (Malc74)
  • 14,300 (khryssun)

--Zero

Todd's gone, and hey look, the last few weeks, the exact same thing happened as before! Looks like to me it wasn't todd that was keeping people away from playing the games, they was just looking for an excuse. Anyone want him back in?

841088[/snapback]

What do you guys think? The only people that were complaining about him, stopped playing already. I say let him back in.

I say keep him as "beat the champ" status and let the rest of us play.

Odd that Todd left when he couldn't kick everyone's ass every week, and was only playing for the fun of it ala beat the champ.... (oh I'm sure he's just been "too busy" to play lately....)

Well folks,

Add me to the white "HEX-A-HAT" club! :D

I got my polaroid shot of the screen to send to TG. I will never play this game again! Not that it's a bad game, I love it, but there's no more motivation.

This is actually the first time I ever maxxed the score on this game. I had this game when I was little but never figured out the pattern.

My breakthrough came when I figured out the sequence of moves to avoid the double-high-bouncing red balls. After that, it was cake. Plus, like was mentioned already, the difficulty hits its peak around 50-60K

My tips:

You will always use the elevator. If you start the round with the elevator on the middle floor going up, this is the optimum scenario. By the time you reach the elevator screen on the 1st floor, it should either be ready to open or already open. If it is already open, BE QUICK! Jump the shopping cart and quickly hop on (the elevator will wait for you if you time it right.) Get off on the second floor and then it's a matter of jumping or dodging and you catch the crook on the 3rd floor, within 2 or 3 screens. Repeat this as long as you can.

If you get hit by a plane and start over with the elevator in a different position, there are 2 scenarios to look for.

Scenario 1:

Here's what to do...wait for the elevator on the 1st floor and hop on when it arrives. WATCH THE CROOK ON THE RADAR SCREEN! If he is just rounding the corner from the 2nd to the 3rd floor, get off on the 2nd floor and stay low (to avoid the plane) Wait for the elevator to come back then hop on, ride it down, then back up, get off at the top floor and resume chasing the crook who will be heading to the roof. You will have time to catch him!

Scenario 2:

Again, get on the elevator on the first floor. WATCH THE CROOK ON THE RADAR SCREEN! If he is already on the 3rd floor at least halfway between the right escalator and elevator, STAY ON THE ELEVATOR the whole time. Go to the top (crook will reverse his direction,) go back down, (crook will then reverse a second time and head back onto the 3rd floor,) by the time you head back to the 3rd floor, the crook will only be 1 to 2 screens away to your left. You can usually catch him before he hits the roof. If you are savvy, you can let him go to the roof and then catch him. (this will start the next round with the optimum scenario as far as the elevator position goes ;) )

Final tip:

Dodging the double-high-bouncing red balls. As soon as you enter the screen, PAUSE, time and JUMP the 1st red ball, quickly go directly to the right side of the 2nd white pillar and DUCK. After the 2nd red ball bounces over you, run and DUCK AGAIN. Position this duck directly above the left edge of the RADAR MAP. The next red ball will harmlessly pass over you, then run for it. That's all there is to it!

The rest, I'll leave up to you. Dodging the planes is all timing (listen to your steps)

As for Todd, I wasn't aware he was being excluded from this season. As for his absense, he has a myriad of legitimate reasons that I won't get into here.

The double-bounce high balls are simpler than that. When you enter, keep running and you'll go right under the first one without ducking. Then duck about midway across the screen and the second one will go over. The position your self just to the right of the last white pole, duck, there should be a pixel of green wall between your nose and the pole. The third ball will pass harmlessly by, and off you go!

841088[/snapback]

What do you guys think? The only people that were complaining about him, stopped playing already. I say let him back in.

841599[/snapback]

I still say no. He agreed to (and at least appeared to be enthusiastic about) the way we had the club set up, he quit playing (for whatever reason) on his own accord. At any rate, I was one of your complainers, and I'm still playing, even if I've missed a few weeks! :)

Stanjr and the 5th Ghost:

Congratulations on joining the elite club of one million points scored!  My "Hat" is off to you both. :cool:

841966[/snapback]

Thank you sir! :)

What's your latest scoring acheivment?

842015[/snapback]

The last Activision game I maxed was Oink! I was trying to max Crackpots and Beamrider, but no success yet. :twisted: I won 2 bounties over on TG for Atari 2600: One on Room of Doom and one on Activision Private Eye game 5. That's it for now. Whew! ;)

Stanjr and the 5th Ghost:

Congratulations on joining the elite club of one million points scored!  My "Hat" is off to you both. :cool:

841966[/snapback]

Thank you sir! :)

What's your latest scoring acheivment?

842015[/snapback]

The last Activision game I maxed was Oink! I was trying to max Crackpots and Beamrider, but no success yet. :twisted: I won 2 bounties over on TG for Atari 2600: One on Room of Doom and one on Activision Private Eye game 5. That's it for now. Whew! ;)

842517[/snapback]

If I had a way to record my game playing, I have already done the Gopher and Midnight Magic challenge. I just need to get it on video...

Edited by keilbaca