IGNORED

What would it look like on Atari 2600? 2

moycon

Yes working for an ISP on 3rd shift gets boring at times. I whipped up another screen of a classic Atari game ported over to the 2600. Since the 2600 doesn't do isometric three-quarters view so well.... Think Zaxxon. The layout is a bit different...But the game elements are there...Can you tell what it is?

moycon-6.gif

I bet if Paperboy was attempted on the Atari 2600, it would scroll vertically as opposed to horizontally. This would probably make it easier to show more sprites, as my understanding is that it's difficult to get many on one row horizontally, at least without horrible flicker.

Maybe we should come up with a list of "rules" about what the 2600 can and can't do, so when people make fake screenshots they won't illustrate something that's extraordinarly difficult (or simply impossible) to do. This would make for more realistic screenshots, and perhaps one of the growing collection of 2600 programmers would endeavor to create the game.

I love your mockup, though! Is that bologna sandwich sitting there some kind of powerup?

..Al

[ 01-26-2002: Message edited by: Albert ]

Paperboy on the 2600! Now that would be something. That game is one that seems to elude a good conversion. The Spectrum version was not bad, but the C64 version was diabolical, and Nintendo's versions were unsatisfactory. Perhaps through the wonders of bankswitching, someone will be stupid enough to try it.

Paperboy would be a great game for the Atari 2600, if someone wants to do it.

How hard would it be to create Atari 2600 games from the Commodore 64 games (Changing the game some so the Atari can do it)-- For example how about Jupiter Lander? Just remove the close-up's on the landing pads when the lander gets close and it should be easy enough to do.

Here is a quick image I made up for it..

jlander.gif

quote:

Originally posted by Junie:

Paperboy would be a great game for the Atari 2600, if someone wants to do it.

How hard would it be to create Atari 2600 games from the Commodore 64 games (Changing the game some so the Atari can do it)-- For example how about
Jupiter Lander
? Just remove the close-up's on the landing pads when the lander gets close and it should be easy enough to do.

Here is a quick image I made up for it..

jlander.gif

The scoreline you have here is impossible to do. The 2600 doesn't have a text mode, and its graphics mode only has 40 pixel resolution (horizontally). To draw characters, games use the two available sprites. These can be repeated, with clever programming, to give 6 sprites (ie: 6 characters) on any line. Any more than that is a major accomplishment - and certainly a scoreline like the one shown simply won't be achievable.

The rest of it looks OK, except for the resolution (40 pixels horizontal, remember). The ship would have to be a lot blockier and probably have less colours.

By attempting images like this, people can get a good idea of the limitations of the machine. I'd encourage more of you to try drawing a game screen with just 40 pixels across, and just 1 colour each, for the left and right halves of the screen.

Cheers

A

Albert said:

quote:

"I bet if Paperboy was attempted on the Atari 2600, it would scroll vertically as opposed to horizontally. This would probably make it easier to show more sprites, as my understanding is that it's difficult to get many on row horizontally, at least without horrible flicker. "

Excellent point. If you look at MNetwork catalogs you can see that they completely changed the look of international soccer from a horizontal to a vertically scrolling game.

2600 mockups are good fun.

My old mockup of Pacman from a couple of years ago was easy enough to get relatively accurate.. I just took a screenshot of Mspacman and colored it blue and cut and pasted various sections of the maze to make it match the arcade Pacman maze. My program of choice? MS Paint! (no flames please heheh)

However you'll notice there are differences from the actual hack that came out later and the mockup below around the two lower power pills. In the real one, that particular maze area had to be simplified. Also, I had to add an extra row of dots to the bottom which forced the extra lives/fruit graphics to the same line as the score... which I was told later would be impossible. Anyway, impossible or not I sent out this pic to a number of places (including the Nexus I think) and got mixed reviews..

However, doing this mockup was good for a number of reasons. 1. It helped me to see what 2600 Pacman could have been had it been done in the same style as MsPacman. (Thus ending years of dreaming about it) and 2. It eventually got hack-meister Rob Kudla intrigued enough to actually go about and do it!

newpac.gif

quote:

Originally posted by Andrew Davie:

The rest of it looks OK, except for the resolution (40 pixels horizontal, remember). The ship would have to be a lot blockier and probably have less colours.

By attempting images like this, people can get a good idea of the limitations of the machine. I'd encourage more of you to try drawing a game screen with just 40 pixels across, and just 1 colour each, for the left and right halves of the screen.

Cheers

A

I have many ideas for new games if anyone actually looks at these things for ideas. Any other things to point out about making these images?

I'll make the images 40 pixels resolution (horzontal)-- This is simply setting the image to 40 pixel resolution correct? I'll limit the characters to 6 per line.

I have a palette I got from taking screenshots with PCAE, it has 255 colors -- Does this sound correct? If not do you know where I can get a color *.PAL pallete file?

quote:

I have a palette I got from taking screenshots with PCAE, it has 255 colors -- Does this sound correct? If not do you know where I can get a color *.PAL pallete file?

Search the Stella Mailing List for "TIA colorchart". Glenn Saunders has posted a very nice HTML formated there.

[ 01-27-2002: Message edited by: Thomas Jentzsch ]

quote:

Originally posted by Thomas Jentzsch:

Search the Stella Mailing List for "TIA colorchart". Glenn Saunders has posted a very nice HTML formated there.

Thank you for the informatio, I found the color chart. There are 128 colors on the NTSC Atari 2600.

I am half done making a palette from the color codes given in the color chart. I will post a link to it when I am done.

quote:

Thank you for the information, I found the color chart. There are 128 colors on the NTSC Atari 2600.

I am half done making a palette from the color codes given in the color chart. I will post a link to it when I am done.

I have finished the Atari 2600 NTSC color palette. I saved the palette in two palette formats- Jasco Paint Shop Pro and Microsoft.

You can download the palettes in a ZIP file from my website. You must click on the link below and then click on the download link on the page that opens to download the file-- (My web server requires this.)

Here is the link Download the Palette

Have fun creating images

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica">quote

I bet if Paperboy was attempted on the Atari 2600, it would scroll vertically as opposed to horizontally. This would probably make it easier to show more sprites, as my understanding is that it's difficult to get many on one row horizontally, at least without horrible flicker.  

Yes that is why you must turn the TV sideways ala Merlins Walls....Errr Ok no I just wasnt thinking. There arent very many games that scroll and those that do, do it poorly... (Think Super Cobra) I think it would be great to have a list of rules to follow when designing screenshots. That way the screen shots will be more accurate and look authentic...

Also it would give anal people less to do.

Also I like the fact that other people are posting screens. Like people have pointed out...It gives inspiration...But also it breaks up the monotany on the board...Eye candy if you will.