IGNORED

Atari800Win+ Palette

Bryan

I wasn't sure if this was available elsewhere, so I made a 3.1 palette file for 4.0 since I'm not happy with any of the choices included with it.

Is there anyone who thinks the palette is better in 4? Is it maybe that PAL machines look different?

-Bry

31pal.zip

• 1 year later...
The pallette in 3.1 is more "XE". To have a PAL-XL, the JACUB-pallette is pretty close to the original.

I created a palette last year that is pretty darn close to how colors look on my TV using my 130XE. I'm not sure how they are supposed to look using an actual 8-bit monitor so I tried to copy what they look like using what I do have. I can fire up the 130XE and then the emulator and I think it's pretty close. Now, is it possible to send the video output of the 130XE to the video input of a PC graphics card so that a screen capture can be made and then extract the colors from there? Or, has anyone done that already?

G_Palette.zip

I wasn't sure if this was available elsewhere, so I made a 3.1 palette file for 4.0 since I'm not happy with any of the choices included with it.

Is there anyone who thinks the palette is better in 4? Is it maybe that PAL machines look different?

-Bry

I use the following commandline options

Atari800 -genpal -colshift 30 -colors 80

Produces a pallete very close to my 800 and 800XL both (NTSC). Blues are little too saturated in the emulator but the tints are close, meaning red is red, blue is blue, and green is green. [Your results may vary].

Method works for AtariWinPlus 4.0 Final and later as well.

Atari800Win.exe -genpal -colshift 30 -colors 80

For version 3.1 I was using Color Shift = 55

[WOW! I don't know what I was trying to say here! LOL!

Since version 3.1 I've been using Color Shift 55.

Changing the color Saturation level in the Palette menu doesn't seem to actually do anything. Because of this I combine both changes as command line options. These values don't show up in Atari800Win Plus Palette menu but the changes can be seen.

That's what I'm saying now! LOL!]

Often I don't change the saturation (Colors parameter) as I like the vibrant colors.

I found that an old program Colorbar.BAS from Analog Computing #38 does a decent job for calibrating Atari800(Win Plus). Convenient if you don't have a real A8 or a decent A8 monitor handy to compare against. Just load the triple color bars and tweak Color Shift until you get Red, Blue and Green or at least the best compromise.

All of the above is just in my my opinion, of course.

- Steve Sheppard

Edited by a8isa1

Now, is it possible to send the video output of the 130XE to the video input of a PC graphics card so that a screen capture can be made and then extract the colors from there? Or, has anyone done that already?

Several years ago I did this with my PAL 800XL (with S-Video mod) connected to the s-video input of my TV-card. I found the files and uploaded them:

http://www.horus.com/~hias/tmp/256-Colors.png

http://www.horus.com/~hias/tmp/Color-Bars.png

BTW: At the last VCFe I talked to a friend about the PAL vs NTSC issues:

He told me that Atari PAL and NTSC colors are actually a little bit different. As you might know, PAL stands for "phase alternating line" - the color phase is shifted by 180° every other line. But Atari didn't manage to build a perfect 180° phase shift into the PAL GTIA. As a result (the TV set reverses the phase shift and averages the color vectors) the color saturation is reduced - the colors look a little bit 'washed out' (especially red doesn't look too great IMHO).

so long,

Hias

(especially red doesn't look too great IMHO).

As I said in the past. There not really a PAL A8 exists ;-)

It's up to the TV, if you have problems with the colours. I have my 800xl connected to a 1084 and this thing has overall problems with the artefacts....(colour clocks and lines)

MY colour TV shows really no artefactings ... Seems it processes the FBAS signal more precisely.

When it comes to "red". The PAL A8 has two types of red:

"Blood/Skin" and "Wine/magenta"". But it has no "Fire"-red.

Edited by emkay

The pallette in 3.1 is more "XE". To have a PAL-XL, the JACUB-pallette is pretty close to the original.

I created a palette last year that is pretty darn close to how colors look on my TV using my 130XE. I'm not sure how they are supposed to look using an actual 8-bit monitor so I tried to copy what they look like using what I do have. I can fire up the 130XE and then the emulator and I think it's pretty close. Now, is it possible to send the video output of the 130XE to the video input of a PC graphics card so that a screen capture can be made and then extract the colors from there? Or, has anyone done that already?

G_Palette.zip

Hey Garrett,

I like your palette. Nice even saturation levels.

I don't have my A8's hooked up at the moment to compare against but I'm going to use your palette for a while.

Thanks for sharing.

Thanks to all for sharing, BTW!

- Steve Sheppard

Just something curious I've noticed regardless of the palettes (and something the guys from Europe can elaborate on): what's with the strange colors in Ms. Pac-Man when Atari800Win is set to PAL mode? I never understood that. The ghosts seem to be much more accurate in color (especially Sue), but the mazes look somewhat off, and some of the fruits are the wrong color (green cherries apples, and strawberries?).

G_Palette.zip

I think, you TV s "off" ;)

Actually, the A8 has fixed voltage levels for the brightness, wich is almost the same either on PAL and NTSC. The pallette doesn't fit at all...

Actually, the A8 has fixed voltage levels for the brightness, wich is almost the same either on PAL and NTSC. The pallette doesn't fit at all...

All I tried to do was copy what I see here - which has been the way I have always perceived colors using my 130XE. Using the palettes that came with the emulator just didn't look and feel right to me no matter what adjustments I made with the color settings.

• 3 weeks later...