IGNORED

Hardsynth

emkay

OK....

The bass is now splitted into one more soft and straight one, and a more percussive one.

Allright, almost perfect.

Mux,

while trying to get full range octaves... may you try to put the "Bubble-Bobble" melody together with those sounds? Not "SID" style, but "arcade"?

This POKEY-sounding comes very close to the original machine.

Only the main melody.... nothing else.

Yes, maybe I'll do that tomorrow.

where can I get the tune ? (maybe you can send it in a PM)

by the way: I don't know Arcade style...do you have weblinks to soundfiles of arcade systems?

I've spent the whole evening now on experimenting on RMT sounds. I'm trying some 1.79MHz settings, but most of the sounds are crap....emkay: can you give me any advice on how to create interesting 1.79MHz instruments.

873580[/snapback]

The main advice in RMT would be: experimenting.

Perhaps it helps to mention, that the filter does work more like a modulation than a filter... distorting "down" the clean square wave, with the form of the "filter- squarewave". One negative thing of the 1,79MHZ filtering is that deeper notes get a high toned "beep". To equalize this, a fast 1,79MHz/15kHz switching would be needed. A demonstration within RMT isn't possible, because this feature isn't supported.

BTW: Why don't you use the available settings/instruments?

BTW(2): It is strongly recommended to use the RMT's sound manipulation features, as arpeggio or portamento, to get final results and to have them for the tune. The notes are easier to find, with all working effects.

Now you've stayed tuned for so long, here's my contribution.

three RMT songs (of the same tune): different versions (last is the best till now)

it's a SEGA (GENESIS) tune:

Sonic the Hedgehog 2: flying fortress zone

874335[/snapback]

Indeed ... the 4th is the best of them.

I noticed that in the 3rd tune many notes are "off" in the emulation. Is it on the real thing, too, or is it a lack of the emulation?

To help your development, I've approximated a pattern of that tune... and created an instrument ....

It's colorful and it is usable over two octaves... though no "off" notes. To have this, the command "1" has to be at the first step of the note.

For some variations, try to change the time of the vibrato, and/or the vibrato itself.

Sometimes it really gets ridiculous, in how many ways this buggy emulation makes development in music nearly impossible....

The appended test-pattern uses a simple 15kHz filter.

The sounds stops after a second inside RMT, while it is played in the A800win plus emulation pretty much longer (as it should be).

I noticed that in the 3rd tune many notes are "off" in the emulation. Is it on the real thing, too, or is it a lack of the emulation?

Yes, also on the real thing....this filter resetting should really be implemented in RMT. It's all a matter of synchronizing voices 1 and 3 (or 2 and 4), with a nonzero phase-difference (for phasedifference 0 gives silence, when both voices have the same pitch). It could indeed be done by setting shortly a very high (the highest possible) pitch on BOTH channels, and I wonder if RMT does this on both channels when you start filter instruments with command 1, parameter $XY=00.

The sounds stops after a second inside RMT, while it is played in the A800win plus emulation pretty much longer (as it should be).

yes, in the emulator this instrument sounds a lot better (like it should sound).....maybe it's time to write a simple turbobasic RMT-instrument-test program.

I quite like the first instrument (in the test.zip file).

---after edit---

One question: why do you use many commands 3 (with zero parameters) in your instrument setup? Does it help in any way?

Edited by analmux

Okay, that answers it.....

now hear this:

version 5 with one added voice (2 stage arpeggio), and some 1.79MHz instruments

874984[/snapback]

Hr....hr... ;) The "pokey" is now somewhat better than a midi of that tune I know :cool:

The 1.79MHz instrument has a too loud beep with it. I know, it's hard to adjust this in RMT, but it's highly recommended to reduce that beep.

Okay, that answers it.....

now hear this:

version 5 with one added voice (2 stage arpeggio), and some 1.79MHz instruments

874984[/snapback]

Hr....hr... ;) The "pokey" is now somewhat better than a midi of that tune I know :cool:

The 1.79MHz instrument has a too loud beep with it. I know, it's hard to adjust this in RMT, but it's highly recommended to reduce that beep.

875358[/snapback]

yes, I've noticed the beeps, but how should I terminate them?

and another problem: when the song returns to line 01 the first timpani is not played (not in RMT, not in the emulator and not on the real a8). I think it is caused by AUDCTL switches between the end and the beginning: in the beginning voice 2&4 are used for the main voice (with filter), lateron voice 1&3 combined take over the main voice.

yes, I've noticed the beeps, but how should I terminate them?

Try to use a higher base note with a more spreaded filter-offset... having a look at the flute sounds.

and another problem: when the song returns to line 01 the first timpani is not played (not in RMT, not in the emulator and not on the real a8). I think it is caused by AUDCTL switches between the end and the beginning: in the beginning voice 2&4 are used for the main voice (with filter), lateron voice 1&3 combined take over the main voice.

875365[/snapback]

Seems, the 1.79MHz is still set to the channel where the "timpani" is played.

2nd version of menace is a lot better:

maybe you can transpose the intro bass-note 2 semitimes lower?

there's one synth that's slightly tuned up

877768[/snapback]

Some changes will follow.... tomorrow.

To have the tune "this tuned", it cost 1000 times RMT editing, saving, testing in the emulation... so I'm really "off" for today ;)

BTW: Do you know the original "Menace" from the AMIGA? That one "up" synth is a test to have this "distorsion" of the AMIGA Tune...

Edit:

Isn't it nice to have such stable sounding, even if the tune needs different sounding-colours? ... they are stable with every repeat.

Even the higher notes are done without using 1.79MHz for the main voice.

Edited by emkay

With "this tuned" I meant the instrument colours.... especially the "Attack" of some instruments and to have a good recognizable start.

Because the tune is based on pokeys 15kHz the instruments mostly start very noisy or scratchy. Now the instruments start with a stable tone and get noisy until the "release".

etc.

Thanks to Mux for the help in the notation correction...

BTW... I enhanced the bass at the start a little, with some volume-slide...

BTW(2) .... The idea of the menace tune came from "Tezz". I wonder if he is still frequenting the board.