IGNORED

MSX titles

djmips

I've noticed the similarity in hardware between MSX systems, early SEGA machines, the later Master System and the ColecoVision.

I'm not very familiar with the limitations of the ColecoVision but I do wonder what the chances are that MSX and MSX games could be ported to the ColecoVision. How about a beefed up ColecoVision? (more RAM etc)

Similarly, what would be the chances (technically, not legally) of porting a game such as the Master System Sonic to the ColecoVision.

Eduardo Mello of OpCode Games has a lot of experience with porting MSX titles to the ColecoVision.

He is also developing hardware that will provide far more than just extra RAM for the Coleco - http://www.atariage.com/forums/index.php?s...pic=67086&st=25 scroll down to see the specs for his planned Super Expansion Module.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 10 years later...

I guess it will be impossible to make a MSX module for the ColecoVision, unless you add a vdp and z80 to the hardware, the build in z80

and vdp is connected at NMI not INT. So make a ColecoVision msx compatible, would be quite hard, and expencive ;)

I guess it will be impossible to make a MSX module for the ColecoVision, unless you add a vdp and z80 to the hardware, the build in z80

and vdp is connected at NMI not INT. So make a ColecoVision msx compatible, would be quite hard, and expencive ;)

Indeed, the opposite is lot more easy. A coleco module for MSX! . I have the coleco module for the spectravideo sv318 which is a pre-msx...

but even a MSX module for coleco won't be so expensive. Composant of MSX cost almost nothing nowadays. I'm pretty sure you could built it for 30 usd. (then add casing , packaging etc... i just speak about electronics) .

Or we could also imagine a module based on the 1 chip MSX project.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1chipMSX

I would love to see an MSX module for colecovision, it would be a way to get rid of all these MSX ports and have talented coder like you CrazyBoss using their talent to create new games :)

• 3 months later...

Too much periferals to be included to get an msx...

64k ram, keyboard, audio chip, joystick ports, cartridge ports, ppi chip and msx ROMs. This leaving the vdp on the coleco ports which is incompatible with a large part of the msx games...

Making a coleco msx compatible is too hard and expensive.

Edited by artrag