IGNORED

HSC Season 2 Week 16: Star Wars Death Star Battle

Ze_ro

Important note: This weeks competition is over. If you still wish to discuss this game, then feel free to do so, but no further scores will be accepted. Thanks to everyone for all their contributions! Please join in on the latest High Score Club competition!

A long time ago, in a galaxy far, far away... After the Rebels succeeded in destroying the Death Star, the Empire secretely began construction on a second Death Star. Learning of their plans, the Rebels stage a pre-emptive strike while it's still under construction. You must take control of the Millenium Falcon and put an end to the new Death Star before it has a chance to destroy the moon of Endor, because this week's game is Star Wars: Death Star Battle!

Game Information

• Game Name: Star Wars: Death Star Battle
  • Released By: Parker Bros, 1983
  • Left Difficulty: B / Novice - Collisions with Tie Interceptors are not fatal
  • Right Difficulty: A / Expert - Death Ray covers entire screen
  • Game Mode: Game 2 - Advanced
  • Chosen By: Gateway

Post your scores right here in this thread, and I will add them to the list. Remember to play the game with the recommended game mode and difficulty settings as shown above so that your scores will be consistent with everyone elses. The deadline for posting scores will be approximately Tuesday, May 10th at 1:30 AM (CST). In case you haven't already done so, please read the High Score Club rules. There is other useful information contained in that previous link, including a list of previous High Score Club games!

As before, next week's game will be chosen by the next person in the member list, which happens to be gospeedde! Please send me a private message with your choice of game for next week!

If you are not a member of the High Score Club, but would like to be, then all you have to do is post a score for this week's game, and I'll add you to the list!

Current High Scores

1. goldfuji.gif50,350 (Lord Thag) [+11]
  2. silverfuji.gif45,837 (the 5th ghost) [+10]
  3. bronzefuji.gif38,810 (keilbaca) [+9]
  4. 30,496 (SpiceWare) [+8]
  5. 27,380 (Fellow Atari Man) [+7]
  6. 27,150 (StanJr) [+6]
  7. 26,736 (Mad Scientist) [+5]
  8. 17,424 (vdub_bobby) [+4]
  9. 10,720 (Dan Iacovelli) [+3]
  10. 8753 (Malc74) [+2]
  11. 8437 (Osbo) [+1]
  12. 8192 (LarcenTyler) [+1]
  13. 5400 (khryssun) [+1]
  14. 4250 (scogey) [+1]
  15. 1765 (Luigi301) [+1]
  16. 1050 (Damon Plus) [+1]
  17. 690 (Goochman) [+1]

Best Tips

• ribbon.gifFellow Atari Man [+2]

Bounties and Challenges

• Jedi Master: Score 60,000 or higher and get 2 extra points!
    • Yoda: Told you I did. Reckless they are. Now, matters are worse.
    • Obi-Wan: That groups was our last hope.
    • Yoda: No. There is another.

Current Standings

• StanJr [133]
  • keilbaca [121]
  • the 5th ghost [60]
  • Osbo [59]
  • Malc74 [56]
  • sku_u [51]
  • video game addict [42]
  • Fellow Atari Man [42]
  • Christophero Sly [41]
  • vdub_bobby [41]
  • KaeruYojimbo [39]
  • LarcenTyler [34]
  • Robert M [33]
  • Keir [32]
  • gospeedde [31]
  • Numan [30]
  • SpiceWare [29]
  • racer raul [29]
  • Blackjack [28]
  • chrisbid [28]
  • Philflound [27]
  • pitfallaimee [24]
  • Dones [24]
  • Lord Helmet [21]
  • Cybergoth [20]
  • Lord Thag [19]
  • Goochman [18]
  • chubsta [17]
  • Dan Iacovelli [16]
  • yuppicide [15]
  • candiru [14]
  • mikeftrevino [14]
  • Mad Scientist [13]
  • cvga [13]
  • davepesc [11]
  • Thomas Jentzsch [9]
  • scogey [7]
  • khryssun [7]
  • adams_ale [6]
  • Gamemaster_ca_2003 [5]
  • Bubbledragon [4]
  • Luigi301 [4]
  • BydoEmpire [3]
  • kemsted [3]
  • Stingray [3]
  • 128bytes [2]
  • Voch [2]
  • iguana [2]
  • Chris++ [1]
  • awsomo3000 [1]
  • madbutscher [1]
  • Scooterb23 [1]
  • bjk7382 [1]
  • Gateway [1]

Member List

• gospeedde, KaeruYojimbo, bjk7382, Christophero Sly, yuppicide, madbutscher, the 5th ghost, Scooterb23, khryssun, Malc74, chubsta, Keir, Philflound, candiru, kemsted, keilbaca, Cybergoth, sku_u, Chris++, cvga, LarcenTyler, 128bytes, Goochman, mikeftrevino, StanJr, Osbo, Numan, vdub_bobby, Dones, Gamemaster_ca_2003, awsomo3000, Voch, Stingray, scogey, Bubbledragon, video game addict, pitfallaimee, Blackjack, racer raul, SpiceWare, Robert M, Lord Helmet, Lord Thag, Mad Scientist, Dan Iacovelli, iguana, Luigi301, Gateway, Damon Plus

Scoring Points in Star Wars: Death Star Battle

• Destroy a Tie Interceptor: 50 points
  • Destroy an Imperial Shuttle: 3000 points
  • Destroy a bit of the Death Star: 20 points
  • While the Death Star is exploding, you will receive a bonus based on how long you can avoid the fireballs, and how much of the Death Star you destroyed before the final hit. (Can anyone elaborate on this further?)
  • If you can destroy every piece of the Death Star except the core, you will gain an extra Millenium Falcon!
  • You also gain an extra Millenium Falcon every 10,000 points.

Hints and Tips

As always, you really should read the manual.

What's that? You don't have the manual? Well, luckily for you, AtariAge has a typed copy of it online for your reading pleasure.

What's that? You're too lazy to click that link? Well, the manual doesn't provide any specific hints anyways!

*Try just tapping the joystick (or directional pad) in a diagional. (One of my tips; here's another one)

*When the difficulty level rises to the point where the holes don't constantly appear in the shield grid, and they only occasionally pop up, even if the outermost shield band is activated when a hole is about to close up, you can still make the hole in the shield if you time it right by aiming for the hole just as the outermost shield band starts to fade, which you won't die by hitting that band and you'll make it before the hole closes up.

*Remember there are three places you can shoot a hole through the Death Star to reach the core: through the center, at left shooting a diagional right, and at the right and shooting at a diagional left. Keep on using the wrap-around to alternate between the diagional shots until you're able to hit the core.

*You might want to count how many T. I. E. Interceptors you've shot in order to be allowed access to the Death Star screen; the number might be higher than you think! (It's seven.)

My tip: listen to the sound cues.

-The Imperial Shuttle (or whatever it is called) makes a distinctive noise right before it appears; when you hear it, get ready to shoot it.

-The death ray makes a distinctive noise when it is ready to start shooting. When you hear it, get ready to dodge :)

Another tip: use the wrap-around edges, especially when destroying the death-star - I shoot from one side until the death ray gets close, then I wrap to the other side and shoot from that side. Rinse, repeat. Works best if you shoot diagonal.

Another Tip:

When trying to shoot the Shuttle, aim for the top wing. If you try to hit it dead center, your shot will go through it!

This game gets tough when the Death Star is being built as fast as you shoot each block away. When you get a good firing position, just hold down the button for rapid fire. If you repeatedly hit the fire button, you may cancel out your previous shots.

Ok, here's what is meant by scoring the bonus points when you destroy the Death Star:

It's good to try to shoot up as much of the Death Star as possible, rather than just zero in on the core. Here's why: when you hit the core, the Death Star will rebuild itself as the fireballs shoot out, once the Death Star is whole, it blows up. So, the more of it you shoot down, the longer it takes to rebuild itself before it blows up, and the more points you will get if you can avoid the fireballs!

On the first three Death Stars, it's pretty easy to just wrap around the screen back and forth and fire away at the Death Star. Once about half of it is gone, I go for the core. My average score after destroying the 1st Death Star is in the 3000-4000 range if I don't shoot any Shuttles.

Once the Death Ray is at full speed on the Death Star screen, then you have to go for the core right away because it bebuilds itself so fast, so no dilly dallying at this point :)

A couple of tips:

1)Aim for the Tyderium from above or below. It's too easy to die taking it head on.

2)You can hit the shield in the first stage right as it's disappearing and re-appearing. Learn the timing. It gives you an extra second to punch through a gap.

3)When you nail the core, park the falcon on the lower right corner of the screen as far right as you can go without wrapping around. That way, if a fireball goes at you, you can duck to the other side quickly.

I had a really weird thing happen one game, I got killed, but had 4 Falcons in reserve, but as each one spawned, it immediately exploded, and my game was instantly over, I had no control at all. :x  :x  :x  It was a good game too.  Odd.

This will happen if you take too long to get to the Death Star screen. Once the Death Star's construction is complete, it's all over!

So, after you reach the 20K mark, don't waste too much time shooting down the Ties and getting to the hole in the shield. Be as efficient as possible with your shots. The Death Star is being built at top speed at this point so keep alert!

Good luck everyone!

--Ze_ro

Star Warrrrs, nothing but Star Warrrrs.....

It seems the best way to blow up the Death Star is to shoot at the center diagonally. Once you find the right spot, fire away till you hit the center. Then, hang by the side of the screen and wrap around back and forth to avoid the fireballs before it explodes.

Listen for the sound that signals the Imperial Shuttle. It's worth big points so always try to hit it!

I love Death Star Battle! I'm not so good at it, so my scores will be pretty dismal, but I love to play it. A great game. I remember lusting after it in catalogs and ads when I was a kid, but I never got to play it.

The hardest thing about Game 2 is that everything is faster, the death star cannon, the death star constructions, the tie interceptors, the hole in the shield. You really have to be on your toes. The key is still shooting down the shuttles, that is where your points will come from, but the rest of the game much faster. Get that Death Star destroyed quick, if you dally too long (as I have been doing) the construction will get ahead of you and close up your holes. It is much harder to destroy if your holes are closed up as you shoot them (think Oink and you are the wolf).

Great game though, really hard. Looks like my first score was a fluke, I haven't been able to break 12K since! Just not hitting enough shuttles!

The hardest thing about Game 2 is that everything is faster, the death star cannon, the death star constructions, the tie interceptors, the hole in the shield.  You really have to be on your toes.  The key is still shooting down the shuttles, that is where your points will come from, but the rest of the game much faster.  Get that Death Star destroyed quick, if you dally too long (as I have been doing) the construction will get ahead of you and close up your holes.  It is much harder to destroy if your holes are closed up as you shoot them (think Oink and you are the wolf).

Great game though, really hard.  Looks like my first score was a fluke, I haven't been able to break 12K since!  Just not hitting enough shuttles!

848476[/snapback]

also on game 2 to open the hole you have to get 350pts (game 1 you only need 150). another tip since the ray doesn't go the entire screen you can shoot diagonal

at the the death star.

(unless that typo by zero an we should be playing right difculty on a instead of b)

I'm playing the settings as they are listed b and b.

You can usually get about 4 good shots off after lining up before the Death Star Cannon destroys you. I totally suck at getting a diagonal shot off, I always turn horizontal or vertical. The Falcon won't stay diagonal for some reason.

Ah well, I'm getting frustrated, time to take a break.

I thought it was me having troubles getting to stay diagonal since I'm using a wico controller.

usally if just go off the screen and shoot at the DS you can easly avoid the ray just be sure not to stay in the location to long.

I noticed something though when you go through the hole in the shield

and the ray shoots at the same time you pass you won't get killed.

I did remember that was another game for the 2600 :Ewoks adventure

so basicly if we do continue this we will have enough games until EP 3.

I thought it was me having troubles getting to stay diagonal since I'm using a wico controller.

usally if just go off the screen and shoot at the DS you can easly avoid the ray just be sure not to stay in the location to long.

I noticed something though when you go through the hole in the shield

and the ray shoots at the same time you pass you won't get killed.

I did remember that was another game for the 2600 :Ewoks adventure

so basicly if we do continue this we will have enough games until EP 3.

848530[/snapback]

I don't think anyone wants to play any prototypes for high scores...

In that case, I pick Garfield!

:P

what is it gonna be next week? SW the empire strikes back?

848558[/snapback]

I was talking to gospeedde, she assured me that next week's game is NOT a SW game. Good thing too, games with the same theme over and over get boring.

Edited by keilbaca

new score:7,300

(I did manage to destroy the DS once but was too close to the fire rock and didn't move out of the way it was from this score though)

another hint: don't keep firing rapid fire is good thing but it here it cuts off your shots(only do it if the intercepters or tie fighters are close others wise just aim your shot and fire it will reach the target )

The trick is, defeating the death star as soon as possible. Basically as soon as you come out of hyper space, I go to the left edge, set for diagonal. It doesn't take me more than 10 seconds per death star.

post-4191-1115143114_thumb.jpg

Edited by keilbaca

I'm playing the settings as they are listed b and b....

I totally suck at getting a diagonal shot off, I always turn horizontal or vertical.  The Falcon won't stay diagonal for some reason.

Ah well, I'm getting frustrated, time to take a break.

848511[/snapback]

Hey Stan, Try moving diagonal against the invisible border under the death star on the second screen. To move forward along the invisible line in order to line up somewhere under the death star, just keep pushing diagonal.

I writing this from memory of playing it the other day, so I don't remember exactly how to do it, but I've never had a problem staying diagonal when I wanted to cut an angle through the deathstar construction.

---

Yeah, I decided to pick this game because it's the Star Wars themed game I remember I enjoyed playing as a kid. I don't remember playing ESB back them, and we rented Jedi Arena once for a weekend. I didn't know SW:TAG existed until I joined AtariAge.

I was set to choose SW:TAG for this week, but Ze_ro beat me to it by one week! :roll: ;)

And, yes, I was thinking of Episode III's release this month when I made a choice.

I hope I can get a chance to submit a score, but I gotta finish moving into my new place this week. My games are packed away in boxes somewhere. :|

@Ze_ro and everybody: Yeah, I told Ze_ro by PM that I wanted the Option of the Death Ray that moves across the entire screen. I don't recall if that is "A" or "B".

So, since it's already started,I'll just say, whatever letter it says in Ze_ro's first post will be the option that counts for scoring. Carry on. :D

Whoops, yeah, I screwed up on the difficulty settings. I've changed them in the top post. Please use Right Difficulty A, since it seems to me that the second scene is just too easy otherwise. I'll keep all the scores so far though.

--Zero

Whoops, yeah, I screwed up on the difficulty settings. I've changed them in the top post. Please use Right Difficulty A, since it seems to me that the second scene is just too easy otherwise. I'll keep all the scores so far though.

--Zero

848726[/snapback]

so I guess we have to use dificulty A now for the game rats , then my score might not get much higher :(