IGNORED

HSC Season 2 Week 16: Star Wars Death Star Battle

Ze_ro

Well, I have a slight improvement: 28, 312.

But I am sad to report that I dropped my digital camera, the liquid crystal screen exploded and it is now dead. So I'll have to either, stop playing in the HSC, or you will have to accept my scores on the honor system. I feel I have always been up front and honest about my scores and have always contributed a screenshot. (sad thing is, with money so short right now, it may be months before I can afford to replace it. :sad: )

I totally suck at getting a diagonal shot off, I always turn horizontal or vertical.  The Falcon won't stay diagonal for some reason.

848511[/snapback]

*Try just tapping the joystick (or directional pad) in a diagional. (One of my tips; here's another one)

*When the difficulty level rises to the point where the holes don't constantly appear in the shield grid, and they only occasionally pop up, even if the outermost shield band is activated when a hole is about to close up, you can still make the hole in the shield if you time it right by aiming for the hole just as the outermost shield band starts to fade, which you won't die by hitting that band and you'll make it before the hole closes up.

Another game that bites by using the keyboard, although I'll be whipping out the 7800 tonight for this one, although it's going to be kind of snowy (guess I need to finally replace the switchbox, I've been using it since 1988! :P)

Edited by Fellow Atari Man

My tip: listen to the sound cues.

-The Imperial Shuttle (or whatever it is called) makes a distinctive noise right before it appears; when you hear it, get ready to shoot it.

-The death ray makes a distinctive noise when it is ready to start shooting. When you hear it, get ready to dodge :)

Another tip: use the wrap-around edges, especially when destroying the death-star - I shoot from one side until the death ray gets close, then I wrap to the other side and shoot from that side. Rinse, repeat. Works best if you shoot diagonal.

Hey ze_ro, if you saw my score from earlier, don't bother putting it up: once I fired the ol' 7800 up, I was WONDERING why the Death Star was being constructed so fast...turns out I got the Diff. A part right, but was still playing game 1 :P (That photo's since been deleted.)

Will submit a new (much LOWER!), correct score later...couple more tips though:

*Remember there are three places you can shoot a hole through the Death Star to reach the core: through the center, at left shooting a diagional right, and at the right and shooting at a diagional left. Keep on using the wrap-around to alternate between the diagional shots until you're able to hit the core.

*You might want to count how many T. I. E. Interceptors you've shot in order to be allowed access to the Death Star screen; the number might be higher than you think! (It's seven.)

Holy hell Gateway... as if this game doesn't get any more harder, ya know, holes only opening when the death laser is out, and closing when it disappears, doing that a bunch of times, then that ray that goes all the way across the screen now just comes out and snipes you.

The highest I got with the laser going across the whole screen is 8k...

EDIT: *$#&%*$&@$**#*$& SPAWN KILLS!!!!!!!

:mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad:

Edited by keilbaca

Man, all you jive turkeys complainin' about the cannon going across the screen are whack. If anything I think it makes it easier, at least in the second stage where you blow up the death star. I get killed far more times from TIE shots than I do that laser cannon.

Oh, and am I the only one getting annoyed by having 90% of your shots go through the damn shuttle. I cannot tell you how many lives I've lost in head-on collisions with that bastard because 2 or 3 of my shots went right through. Always take him from the side.

Now that I have the diagonals straightened out, blowing up the DS is much easier, much. My biggest problem is getting through the shield now. I lose most of my lives crashing into the shield (damn you Han Solo, get that thing down!), or getting shot by TIES in the attempt.

But I have to say the more I play this game, the more and more it becomes my favorite VCS Star Wars game.

Oh, and am I the only one getting annoyed by having 90% of your shots go through the damn shuttle.  I cannot tell you how many lives I've lost in head-on collisions with that bastard because 2 or 3 of my shots went right through.  Always take him from the side.

Damn stupid flicker. If you have to flicker sprites, at least write a collision routine that works with it...grumble grumble.

Oh, and am I the only one getting annoyed by having 90% of your shots go through the damn shuttle.  I cannot tell you how many lives I've lost in head-on collisions with that bastard because 2 or 3 of my shots went right through.  Always take him from the side.

Damn stupid flicker. If you have to flicker sprites, at least write a collision routine that works with it...grumble grumble.

849241[/snapback]

Hey, you guys are letting your first shot travel before firing again, right?

Yeah, I've gotten frustrated with the shuttle being right on top of me, but my shot didn't destroy it in time even when I had a clesr shot!

But your odds of hitting will improve if you make sure you are not doing a "rapid fire" approach since the first shot dissapears if you shoot too soon after it.

@keilbaca: :evil:

New score...

Another Tip:

When trying to shoot the Shuttle, aim for the top wing. If you try to hit it dead center, your shot will go through it!

This game gets tough when the Death Star is being built as fast as you shoot each block away. When you get a good firing position, just hold down the button for rapid fire. If you repeatedly hit the fire button, you may cancel out your previous shots.

That bounty looks like it will be hard to reach, I'll keep you folks posted :)

New score...

Another Tip:

When trying to shoot the Shuttle, aim for the top wing. If you try to hit it dead center, your shot will go through it!

This game gets tough when the Death Star is being built as fast as you shoot each block away. When you get a good firing position, just hold down the button for rapid fire. If you repeatedly hit the fire button, you may cancel out your previous shots.

That bounty looks like it will be hard to reach, I'll keep you folks posted  :)

849366[/snapback]

Oh, by the way, I did play on the correct settings with the Death Ray covering the whole screen. Man, it really keeps you moving!

Well, with the Diff A setting, the best I have done is20,316. My other scores were before the change happened so Ze_ro can record whichever score he sees fit.

I don't think I'll be seeing scores like 5th ghost! Nice work.

Those damn TIE's just keep picking me off before I can get through that shield.

Ok, here's what is meant by scoring the bonus points when you destroy the Death Star:

It's good to try to shoot up as much of the Death Star as possible, rather than just zero in on the core. Here's why: when you hit the core, the Death Star will rebuild itself as the fireballs shoot out, once the Death Star is whole, it blows up. So, the more of it you shoot down, the longer it takes to rebuild itself before it blows up, and the more points you will get if you can avoid the fireballs!

On the first three Death Stars, it's pretty easy to just wrap around the screen back and forth and fire away at the Death Star. Once about half of it is gone, I go for the core. My average score after destroying the 1st Death Star is in the 3000-4000 range if I don't shoot any Shuttles.

Once the Death Ray is at full speed on the Death Star screen, then you have to go for the core right away because it bebuilds itself so fast, so no dilly dallying at this point :)

849203[/snapback]

*Or from the top/bottom, if you can: if he flies by on top, shoot at him from the bottom, or vice versa (another tip).

One thing that REALLY sucks is waiting for a shot, then some damn T. I. E. Interceptor will shoot you, which he'll disappear even when your next M. Falcon appears before he would get to the edge of the screen; I've had this happen TWICE in one game before! :x

Anyway, my score; kind of hard to read, due to the snow, which it's 26,389.

Probably just going to be sticking to the emulator for this one, as I won't be able to get a new switchbox for a couple of weeks, but oh well.

post-3650-1115262312_thumb.jpg

Well, I gave it a go. First real score: 50350

A couple of tips:

1)Aim for the Tyderium from above or below. It's too easy to die taking it head on.

2)You can hit the shield in the first stage right as it's disappearing and re-appearing. Learn the timing. It gives you an extra second to punch through a gap.

3)When you nail the core, park the falcon on the lower right corner of the screen as far right as you can go without wrapping around. That way, if a fireball goes at you, you can duck to the other side quickly.

I can post a screenshot later if it's a problem. The only net access I have at home is on my roomates PC, and he doesn't let anyone download stuff to it :ponder: . Like I said, I can do it later if it's an issue...

A couple of tips:

1)Aim for the Tyderium from above or below. It's too easy to die taking it head on.

2)You can hit the shield in the first stage right as it's disappearing and re-appearing. Learn the timing. It gives you an extra second to punch through a gap.

3)When you nail the core, park the falcon on the lower right corner of the screen as far right as you can go without wrapping around. That way, if a fireball goes at you, you can duck to the other side quickly.

I can post a screenshot later if it's a problem.  The only net access I have at home is on my roomates PC, and he doesn't let anyone download stuff to it  :ponder: . Like I said, I can do it later if it's an issue...

849689[/snapback]

Wow! Your first "real score" beats all of ours! Nice job!

A couple of tips:

I can post a screenshot later if it's a problem.  The only net access I have at home is on my roomates PC, and he doesn't let anyone download stuff to it  :ponder: . Like I said, I can do it later if it's an issue...

849689[/snapback]

Wow! Your first "real score" beats all of ours! Nice job!

849753[/snapback]

I dunno, did he play the right game? He repeated every single tip that was already up as it was.