IGNORED

Anthology update...

Klove

Hey All!

Yes, I'm still plugging away on the Anthology project. Am actually in the process of rounding-up original Marketing and Sales materials. (I.E. - Magazine Ad's 'n' What Not)

Design is still ongoing and we've not yet nailed-down a definite Features listing just yet. Reason being... "We need to speak with Sony and find out exactly what they would like to see included in this package." That is... "Ideas that will give us an Approval on the go-ahead for a PS2 version." They like the ideas we sent them a couple of weeks ago, but we really need to narrow that listing down even more.

The Sony phone call should happen (fingers crossed), sometime next week.

As the 2600 games themselves are 'Dated', Sony are a bit reluctant to release a compilation of old Atari 2600 titles. Therefore with this project, we're focussing more on the Technology-side of the PS2. And what the system can do.

Think.... "3D, Modem, Hard Drive, Networking, Etc."

However which way we decide to go with it, I'm sure you'll be happy with the end product. We're aiming to give you alot of stuff that you've not seen in a Retro collection that you've not seen before.

I can tell you this.. "It defiitely WILL NOT be another PSX Activision Classics."

"If anyone out there would care to let me borrow their collection of Ad's 'n' Whhat Not, I promise to give you credit in the Anthology project."

"You'll obviously get your stuff back as well." I'll 'Next Day' it back to you for that matter.

I'm also looking fot the following Patches if anyone has...

Beamrider, Crackpots, Enduro, Frostbite, HERO, Oink, Pitfall 2, Plaque Attack, Private Eye and Seaquest.

As always "Your guys' help is appreciated."

Thanks,

Hi Ken,

I posted a topic a few days ago about ex-members of Activision's CGL club, I don't know if this was specific to the UK (I doubt it, and hope not!) but I would think that anyone who was active about carts back then would be your best bet.

If there is any record of them, look at the quarterly newsletters. I would have liked to have helped more but I lost all of this sort of stuff about 7 years ago in a house fire - very little damage, but it toasted all of my Atari bumf, 2 fantasy books and my boxed copy of D2D.

I have contacted the guys at Activision a few times and they have always been extremely helpful. I am only sorry that I cannot return the favour.

Good luck.

[ 02-01-2002: Message edited by: osmeroid ]

i.e. "We're going to ruin another collection of classics!"

Man you are never happy are you?

I dont own a ps2 nor do I plan to, but this project keeps sounding even better; im glad some of my friends own them.. im gonna take over!

I know you wont ruin the games or anything. I beleive, AtariKee, that he is refering to bells and whistles, slick interfacing, and many new features ALONG WITH the classics.

.e. "We're going to ruin another collection of classics

No doubt you'll be wanting to copy it when it arrives and get it for free like you want to get un-watermarked Atari related photos from other peoples websites.

Whatever it turns out like Ken I'm sure it will be great, anything from Activision usually is. Just make sure youve got good copy protection on it to keep the AtariKee's of this world from eating into your profit margins.

Adam

quote:

Originally posted by Fretwobbler:

No doubt you'll be wanting to copy it when it arrives and get it for free like you want to get un-watermarked Atari related photos from other peoples websites.

Yep. You called it, my man. Nothing I want more for free than a crappy compilation of classics that I can play on my genuine 2600, put out by a company that has published some of the worst games (read: all) since the

golden era ended, for a console that is nothing better than a PSX with better graphics, a DVD player, and the SAME CRAPPY GAMES DONE OVER AND OVER AND OVER. My question is, what the HELL does '3d' have to do with classic games anyway?

Yep. You read me like a book, sir.

Great point, PeeknPoke (also, nice avatar )..

Ken, if you're thinking about using the modem, what about an internet scoreboard?

Also, would be nice to have some all-times hi-scores included in the compilation and be notified once you max them out!

greets,

rasty.-

[ 02-02-2002: Message edited by: rasty ]

Yeah, Ken gets my vote for the coolest Activision dude . Anyone who dosent mind asking the fans about what they would like to see.. and works on the fans ideas not the companies ideas is defintally a rarity, Id rate Ken an 8 on the atariage rarity scale.

Keep up the good work, the naysayers will be blown away.. if not blown away maybe you can get a nifty light flicker easter egg to cause sesiures when people seem to dislike the games.

Riki,

I get that question asked to me several times a week.

I have no control over that what-so-ever. That would be a Marketing issues. They would need to make that happen.

I can only bring up the topic.

I did however tell them that I think the Anthology project should ship with a comemerative Activision patch.

They liked that idea. Whether or not they deicde to run with the ball is completely up to them. But.. "I sure hope they really take it into consideration."

Activision today is nothing like the Activision of yesterday.

As you might and probably did expect, it's a much more corporate company these days.

If Marketing does in-fact go-ahead with the patch, AtariAge will be the first to know.

Hand Tight and Ten!

Well, that was a thought of mine as well. And we're still kinda' kicking that idea 'round. The problem is.. "What happens to the Anthology then?"

"We redo all of the games in 3-D?"

That's be pretty expensive and then we'd be losing focus of what the Anthology is meant to be in the first place. "The definitive collection of all the Activision Atari 2600 titles."

Remakes aren't a bad idea, I'm just notsure they would fit into this compilation just yet. I'm not saying "No", but rather..maybe.. "Well... hmmm... Let's see."

Probably no the answer you're looking for though. "Sorry."

What you really need to do, is release a set of controllers along with the games, I mean, the biggest problem with the Activision classics collection was trying to play those games with a Playstation controller. Kaboom needs a padddle, not an analog stick. Either an adapter to use old Atari sticks, or, a controller that is built almost like the old Atari sticks, only that will work on a PlayStation, as well as some paddles. Preferably not an adapter, seeming as though all of the original Atari stuff is 20 years old and worn out. We need some new, Atari-styled controls for the PS2.

Ian Primus

ian_primus@yahoo.com

Hey Ken good luck on the anthology thing. I did like the PSX 2600 collection, I rented it but never bought it in favor of emulators, but from what it sounds like you are for sure gonna add stuff in there which will make emulators seem not as interesting which i really hope can pour some cash into Activision.

I still don't understand the logic behind releasing this for the PS2 only.

The PS2 user base is particularly unfriendly to classic gaming. It seems to me the GameCube or XBOX would be better choices.

They both have (or will have) all the functionality you speak of, with the added advantage of being better machines.

I really think you should move away from the PS2 with this one. It's just not a good fit.

The world is a strange place to live in. 

All those cars, all going someplace, all carrying humans,

which are carrying out their lives.

On another note, what is the status of Ghostbusters?

There had been talk of a hack, it that a go?

I was willing to do it, but never heard that it was officially sanctioned.

I wonder if we ever stop learning. 

Learning about which we see.

Trying to learn more about an ounce of prevention.

Thanks for youre input, Rhindle.

Well, regarding the PS2, I can only tell you that it was a Marketing decision.

They're hesitant to pursue this collection on the X-Box just yet, simply because the console hasn't been out all that long. Same kinda' goes for the Gamecube.

I agree. It kinda' doesn't lend itself to the Classic Gaming Community. I thought a GBA version would've been perfect, but again.. Marketing and Sales show that the peope who have GBA's (for the most part) are young kids.

Truth is.. "Today's kids don't wanna' see 'Blocky - Old' games. They want Kick-Butt 3-D Games like Tony Hawk." And I can understand that. It sucks! But... "Games and Graphics have evolved way past what the Atari 2600 could do."

That's not to say that Atari 2600 games were bad, because I truly don't believe they were. Heck... "We grew up playing that stuff 'n' loved every minute of it." At least I did, anyway.

Yeah, the graphics were crude as was the sounds, but it still did't stop me from playing that horrid 2600 version of Pacman.

It's people like us that wanna' see this stuff come to life once again. Again... believe it or not... "Alot of people could care less about it." It's interesting to them... but only on an Historical note.

Ya' know.. to me anyway, I still think many of the Atari 2600 games would be great for young kids today.

I'd really like for my daughter to grow-up playing some of these games. I've actaully got a Heavy 6'er set aside for her when her litle hands get big enough. Am actually looking for the Sesame Street games as well. These would be perfect for her.

I still think the Anthology would be perfect on GBA, but.. well.. Marketing kinda'... welll "Doesn't."

If the PS2 version were to sell incredibly well, I'm sure we'd consider the other platforms. Hands down.

That's one of the primary reasons that this project needs to really shine. "So it can maybe see the light of day on the other platforms."

As for GB2, it'd be great if we could still hack it. What are you thinking?

GB look's like it might need hacking too. I'm not certain of that just yet though.

Hang Tough (like New Kids On The Block)

quote:

Originally posted by Ken @ Activision:

Well, regarding the PS2, I can only tell you that it was a Marketing decision.

Wow. I can't believe marketing gets to make the decisions as to what platforms you support. That explains a lot!

quote:

Originally posted by Ken @ Activision:

As for GB2, it'd be great if we could still hack it. What are you thinking?

GB look's like it might need hacking too. I'm not certain of that just yet though.

Well, last I had heard, you guys couldn't use Ghostbusters or Ghostbusters 2 because of the licensing rights to the Ghostbusters franchise. I looked at the games and it seemed that altering the graphics and attaching a new name ("Spook Chasers" or some such) would solve that issue. I didn't see anything in there that I couldn't hack myself to change the appearance enough to clear you.

The music could be licensed separately. It should not be covered by the other licensing as the lyrics (and the word "Ghosybusters") are not used. Otherwise, there are several people here who know 2600 music better than I do who I'm sure would be glad to put something else appropriate in there.

I could put a fake cartridge, instructions (or patch!) together easily. The collection would then have information on why the game was changed, so people don't get confused.

I'm keen for this challenge if it's a possibility, but I haven't actually done anything without official word.

Only the infinity of the depths of a man's mind can really tell the story.

Rhindle -

I really think you should move away from the PS2 with this one. It's just not a good fit.  

While agree on the most part with that you would have a very differant view if you lived outside of the US or Japan.

I would have avoided the PS2 if it weren't for knowing that Europe would have to wait 5 months after the US got Xbox and Japan got Gamecube etc. I know theyre available on ebay etc but that is far from being an official distribution network and as so you dont have the safety nets that retail outlets provide.

From a business perspective I understand Activisions Marketing dept desicion 100%. Theyre just going for the largest potential market - I doubt the XBOX or Gamecube will have as large an installed base as the PS2 by the time of the Anthology release (although I'm not sure at the mo how xbox sales have been going so that statement mignt not be true - pls correct if i'm wrong cause I do like stats:-) )

Personally I'd like to see it released across the big 3 consoles and the PC for the greater benefit of mankind but I can appreciate a project of this nature may not generate sufficient revenue to warrant porting accross many platforms.

Ken - Please pass on my thans to your marketing guys - for once and American software company has done Europe a favour and I for one salute them.

Adam

Just grant me this one humble request, Ken. Please, PLEASE, whatever you do, DON'T include Super Pitfall on this collection!

AtariKee wasn't very tactful about this, but he is right... Activision's post-Atari years were not their best ones, although their brand name is starting to carry more weight these days thanks to the O2 series and the Marvel licensed games. A really good collection could be just the thing to get the company back in the good graces of older gamers as well as the newbies.

Ken's having to deal with the douchebags at Sony definitely won't help the project. However, I've got some suggestions that could appease both the makers of the BannedGameStation 2 and more important, Activision's customers.

* As an option, texture map the games onto a variety of objects, such as a box, a polygonal star, or even a chrome disc. Let the second player tilt and scale in on the object while the other person plays.

* Emulate the games as usual, but draw each pixel as a six-sided box. Possibly find a way to distance the sprites from the backgrounds and add light source shading for a 3D, yet retro look.

* Add deluxe versions of three or four games, similar to Namco's Arrangements. I'd love an enhanced version of Megamania, and games like HERO and Pitfall lend themselves well to the deluxe treatment.

* Double the emulation, double the fun! Let two players each have their own 2600, allowing them to hotswap games independant of each other. One player could play Robot Tank while the other could be working on getting that perfect score in Pitfall! 2.

I hope some of these suggestions are useful!

JR

marketing NEVER ceases to amaze me (and i work closely with them on a daily basis). yeah, the ps2 has a HUGE install base, granted. but now, this VERY niche product is going to have to share shelf space with not only all of the triple "a" titles that the ps2 now sports, they will have to share space with the 100's upon 100's of ps1 titles that are fully compatible with the ps2.

now lets say this were to be released on the box or cube. bothe machines have sold through well into 100's of thousands of machines, if they haven't cracked a mil each. this compilation would be sharing shelf space with 15, maybe 20 titles currently on the box and maybe a dozen on the cube?

again, it really is PAINFUL to watch marketing people spin their collective wheels. ken, i AM looking forward to this but the fact that the ps2 was picked as the primary platform only SOLIDIFIES that other platforms won't see this compilation as the sales will be tiny (no offense).

d8thstar stares into crystal ball and sees potentially a pc port and MAYBE an xbox port simply because of the ease from pc to xbox...

ugh, i need a marketing degree