IGNORED

7800: Pac-Man Completed.

PacManPlus

TOTALLY AWESOME!!!You are the MAN!!!!!!!The only thing I notice is when the ghosts go thru the side doors,they slow down only briefly (I guess it still registers as a short side door like Ms.Pac instead of the longer side door of Pac-Man).Maybe its the emulator Im running (Prosystem)but I have to hold down the F6 key (which is one of the difficulty switches)to play the regular board at the beginning or clearing of a level.Again,it's prolly the emulator issue,but this KICKS @$$!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

859284[/snapback]

Hey man - thanks - I actually tried changing the tunnel speed, but believe it or not, it messed up the whole game! When I increased the range of the 'tunnel speed', monsters were going through some outer walls, going outside the playfield. I figured it does slow them down enough, so I left it alone. It looks like they have special code to handle the tunnel, instead of just slowing the monster's speed down.

There's something weird about speed in this whole game. It looks like they made a provision for slowing down Ms. Pac-Man (in their version) when she eats dots, but they don't use it - it's funny nobody noticed that you don't slow down when you eat dots. :) There is a location that is set when dots are being eaten (this location is normally a '1'). The funny thing is, they re-set it to a '1' when dots are being eaten, so it has no effect on the speed of the player. I tried increasing it just to '2', and it made the player too slow when eating dots. Really odd how they did this.

Anyway, as far as the difficulty switches in the emulator, yes, you do have to hold them down - at least in ProSystem. I don't think you have to in MESS.

Thanks for he compliments Trebor and Vic George 2K3, they are appreciated! :)

Edited by PacManPlus

I'm also curious on the people who made boxes for their hacks / homebrews.  How did you do it? Is there special heavy weight paper that you print on?

This time around, I'd like to make a box & manual for this...

859363[/snapback]

Ill buy one!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :D :D

This looks good Bob...great job :thumbsup:

I have one (picky) point. It seems like the time for the ghosts to change direction is a little off. I don't have my notes for the change direction time with me right now but I'm sure someone here has it.

I did notice that Ms.Pac-man didn't slow down when she eat dots but I let that slide. Was there no way to do that in your hack?

One more quick thing - although it's not gameplay related. -

When I got past the first intermission (which looks FANTASTIC, btw.) I noticed that right as the maze appeared again (which would normally be the next maze, light blue) there was a momentary flash of a light blue background. I also notice a bit a of signale bleed on the Screen when it goes from the BIOS to the Title screen

I'm not sure if this is the game, or the CC2.

But it's not a marjor deal and doesn't interrupt gamepaly at all, so it's not a major deal. I just figured since you're such a perfectionist, I'd see if you noticed these things.

But yeah - it is phenominal. I always wondered why Atari never did this one. It's now the BEST home version of Pac-Man, beyond using MAME.

Looks like I'm not done yet ;)

Hey Dennis:

Yes, it is a little off. I went crazy last week trying to figure out where it got the reverse times from. I think I've figured it out now. I will take a look at it again.

I couldn't change the 'dot speed' issue in my hack. It looks to me (someone with more experience might be able to say better) like I would have to change much of the kernel to do it any differently.

Danno:

No it's not the CC2 - I just noticed that 'blue streak' on the ProSystem emulator a little while ago. :( Gotta figure out what I did to cause that... It wasn't there before I started. What do you mean by 'signal bleed'? Does 7800 Ms. Pac-Man do this to?

Thanks guys :)

Bob

Edited by PacManPlus

OK Here's a test for the Dot Delay.

It was too slow when the dot delay was on, so I sped up Pac-Man a bit. I don't like it now - it seems if you use anything but the default speed, it looks too jerky. But that may just be me.

Try the Cherry level (it's the only one I changed). Let me know what you think. If you guys don't mind it, I'll change the rest accordingly.

Thanks,

Bob.

PAC78.ZIP

OK Here's a test for the Dot Delay.

It was too slow when the dot delay was on, so I sped up Pac-Man a bit.  I don't like it now - it seems if you use anything but the default speed, it looks too jerky.  But that may just be me.

Try the Cherry level (it's the only one I changed).  Let me know what you think.  If you guys don't mind it, I'll change the rest accordingly.

Thanks,

Bob.

859529[/snapback]

I cannot begin with out a compliment so first off great work on this! Regarding the dot delay, it seems to long. Once the ghosts get anywhere close you're dead. Seems way too hard this way. Maybe that's why they didn't enable it for Ms. Pacman in the first place?

-Jeff

Ya know... Now that you've got this thing nearly perfected, it'd be cool if there was some kind of maze editor for this (or Ms. Pac-Man.)

Just thinking aloud...  :D

859550[/snapback]

Hmmm.... Not a bad thought.... I wonder if I can change AGE to use the 7800 rom...

By The Way -

Danno: That is a *very* nice compliment you paid me in your last post - thank you very much :)

Jeff: Thank you very much for your compliments as well :)

As far as the delay, I can change it a little... I'm more concerned about the jerkiness of the motion of the player. Personally, I would rather keep the speed the same as 7800 Ms. Pac-Man with smooth animation, than have the correct speed and jerky animation. But you guys let me know.

Thanks again!

Bob

P.S. I also have an idea for the reverse times, (I'll try it when I get home tonight).

As far as the 'Blue Streak', I think it's because I changed the color of one of the registers... I'll have to change it back before it ends :-/ (At least I think that's it)..

Hi Bob,

One other thing. Why does the screen change in the middle of game play when I change the difficulty switches (did it in ProSystem...I have to hold the button down between screens)? When are you checking the difficulty switches? I think you should only check them when the player starts a game. That way they can't switch boards in the middle of a game.

Hey Dennis:

ProSystem does not use a 'toggle' like MESS does. You actually have to keep the 'circuit' closed (the button pressed), just like in a real 7800. It would be like using a momentary switch instead of a two-position switch on a 2600 difficulty console selection.

If you play it either in MESS or on a real 7800, it works as it should. :)

If I changed it to only check once, then when a person gets bored with one maze they can't switch to another (I thought that was a pretty cool undocumented feature!). I used to do that with the 2600 on certain games that changed difficulty (like Adventure, Asteroids, etc.) They constantly check the switch to see if it was changed...

I thought people would *like* that :(

Bob

Edited by PacManPlus

I would rather keep the speed the same as 7800 Ms. Pac-Man with smooth animation, than have the correct speed

Agreed. Addtionially, in the spirit of Ms. Pac-Man, I wouldn't (personally) 'mess' with the speed. I believe it is actually one of the 'distinguishing' characteristics of Ms. Pac-Man on the 7800. I never gave it any consideration or thought that the speed of Ms. Pac-Man was too fast or didn't slow down while eating dots. Nonetheless, the fun and overall gameplay experience is unaffected. I believe I speak for many, when I say it is their favorite classic console port of Ms. Pac-Man.

My only gripe about Ms. Pac-Man concerning gameplay was the number of lives you started at the beginning of each game. Which was addressed in Pac-Man by toggling the difficulty switch. However, both A & B settings are used in Pac-Man already. So using difficulty switch settings which toggle Pac-Man's speed is out...Right? Although in 'fairness', I guess the same settings which reduce the number of lives can also make Pac-Man slow down when eating dots. You can call that setting the 'More Challenging' setting. While the opposite setting leaves the lives and speed of Pac-Man unaltered.

I tried the new version you posted. Personally, I don't like it. I perferred it the way it was before. However, again in fairness, the 'jerkiness' is not that bad. On the other hand, I do agree with Jeff. The ghost catch up *way* to quickly to you. Especially considering this is only the first board.

-Trebor

There were quite a few memory locations I had to change to get to speed to change for each board; I don't think the speed depending on the difficulty switch is something I'm going to tackle.

On the other hand, I did speed up the player ever so slightly. There are actually 4 locations for each board that determine the speed of the player during non-blue time, and four locations for the player's speed during blue time (don't know why there isn't just one, but...). The first time through I added $01 to each location, and then increased the 'Dot Delay' to $02 (like I mentioned in an earlier post). It was still too slow like you and Jeff stated, so I increased the third speed location by one more (don't ask me why I chose the third one) :-P and it seems better now.

Still gotta figure out where that 'blue streak' is coming from :( (my thought was wrong earlier where I said it might be the result of a color change)...

I will post a bin as soon as I figure that one out.

@Dennis: I believe I fixed the reverse times, and the frequency of them. One thing that bothered me is that there were only two 'disperse modes 'each board, and there actually are four in the arcade.

UPDATES:

1) Made three Disperse modes - I felt it was a good balance for the speed / size of the board.

2) Fixed the times of each disperse mode to be as close as possible to the arcade.

3) On the third disperse mode, Blinky still chases you :)

4) GOT RID OF BLUE BARS after intermissions :) :)

5) Still playing with speeds / motion. Trying to find a good balance between having speeds like the arcade, and smooth motion.

No bin yet until I'm ready to test #4. Almost there (again) :)

Bob

Edited by PacManPlus

UPDATES:

1) Made three Disperse modes - I felt it was a good balance for the speed / size of the board.

2) Fixed the times of each disperse mode to be as close as possible to the arcade.

3) On the third disperse mode, Blinky still chases you :)

4) GOT RID OF BLUE BARS after intermissions :) :)

5) Still playing with speeds / motion.  Trying to find a good balance between having speeds like the arcade, and smooth motion. 

No bin yet until I'm ready to test #4.  Almost there (again) :)

Bob

859757[/snapback]

I said it before and Im going to say it again......GOD I LOVE ATARIAGE! :D

I finally got MESS to work (thanks for the tip, jetset) and I love this version of Pac-Man! :D

Bob's a cool guy. I got my 7800 from him and can't wait to play this game in cartridge format someday (should it be released on cart).

I'm not too keen on the slow down when Pac-man is eating. It's really jumpy on the CC2, almost seems like playing it in an emulator on a PC that's too slow. If I had to choose - I'd say forego the speed change to smooth out the animation if it comes to that.

And the Attract Mode looks GREAT!!!

Edited by Danno

Hello All:

Here is version .8

Let me know about the speed / motion.  Hopefully it's not too bad.

Has all of the updates mentioned in my last post, and one or two more ;)

@Kepone: Right back 'atcha :) Thanks for the compliment.

860003[/snapback]

I tried it on the ProSystem emulator and on the real thing. It seems a bit better, but still a bit jerky compared to your earlier binaries. I went back and played one of the earlier ones and it seemed a lot smoother without the delay. Personally I prefer it without the delay, but others may disagree.

BTW I also noticed you improved the attract mode screen with "Character - Nickname". Nice touch!

-Jeff

Hello All:

Here is version .8

Let me know about the speed / motion.  Hopefully it's not too bad.

Has all of the updates mentioned in my last post, and one or two more ;)

@Kepone: Right back 'atcha :) Thanks for the compliment.

860003[/snapback]

I thought this was number 9? Haven't had a chance to test it yet though.

Mitch