IGNORED

Modern Game Gods of the Atari 2600

GrizzLee

Just a personal note of thanks for Thomas Jentzsch, Eckhard Stolberg, Bob Colbert, Chad Schell and John Saeger whom I consider the modern era Atari Gods. Not only have they helped out on many of my projects like Worship the Woodgrain and the Cuttle Cart Underground but they have come up with some brilliant and inciteful ideas that have perpetuated the hobby to new found heights.. the awesome 7800 cart Dumper, Thrust (best homebrew game to date), Cuttle Cart (best accessory ever for the Atari 2600), Makewav and z26 (Best emulator ever for the PC). It is too bad Digital Press failed to see the real heroes of the 2600 in their annual awards. Instead of recycling and publishing other peoples works and taking credit for it, these gents blazed new trails and set new standards for 2600 hardware, programming and tech support. These people are not only brilliant in their own right, they happen to be really nice guys. I have never been turned away when I asked for help from these guys. There is not an Atari 2600 enthusiasts out there today that has not been benefited, either directly or indirectly from one of their prodocts or tech support. People on the "stella list" can vouch for the valuable impact these guys have had on nearly all (if not all) the Atari 2600 homebrew games that have come out since the introduction of Bob's Okie Dokie.

How about a round of applause for these guys. Let's make sure they get proper recognition they deserve. If I read them right they will act undeserving, but we all know the truth. Thanks guys!!!

Maybe we should induct these guys into the Atari 2600 Hall of Fame with David Crane, Warren Robinett, Rob Fulop, etc...

Now there is an idea for Alex and Albert :-)

BTW: Thanks again Thomas, for converting the PAL games to NTSC. If you ever get bored and want to do more, you have my list :-)

That is all...

Regards,

-Lee

Well according to my book here are the nominees

Modern Game Gods of the Atari 2600:

(in no particular order)

John Saeger (Z26's dad)

Eckhard Stolberg (tech guru)

Bob Colbert (Supercharger stuff)

Dan Boris (Tech god)

Alex, Albert (Atariage webmasters)

Joe Santulli (DigitPress himself)

Russ Perry (he loves Atari. Period)

Ben Heckendorn (Portable god)

Ben Valdes (Pitfallmaniac and writer)

Chad Schell (Cuttlecart)

John Hardie, Keita (weird reviews but AtariHQ is great)

Thomas Jentzsch (Thruster)

Piero Cavina (he knows stuff)

Randy (Hozer: Homebrew land)

Jerry G (I liked the old 2600 site)

and at last but not least

Karl Heller, Zube (F.A.Q. maintainers gods)

They've all been of great influence and an inspiration for me to keep going into collecting and monkeying around with Atari stuff so my Hat is off to you guys.

I´m sure there are dozens of Atarians out there that could also qualify as modern atarian gods but all those mentioned above come to mind right now, anyway anyone who is into Atari stuff should feel proud of being part of the coolest hobbie in the world.

I'm done rambling

I totally agree with your 'Hall of Fame' nominees. Saeger and Stolberg's work with Z26 has been truly fantastic, and Thomas' help has been invaluable with some of my "projects". Though I don't see the need to put DP down - it's not that they failed to recognize those people; the award winners are chosen by vote, and the voting is open to everyone. Here's the thread on DP's board. As you can see, not too many people voted. So the question becomes, why didn't more people vote?

Thanks for the kind words everyone. There are certainly a lot of people doing things for the 2600 right now, just look at the number of homebrews that are coming out.

One person I'd have to put on the list is Kevin Horton for figuring out and documenting most of the various bankswitching formats. His document on them was certainly a key starting point for the Cuttle Cart.

As for the DP awards, most of the people mentioned on Lee's list don't really fit into them anyway. The awards were only for work in the last year, and much of their contributions have been done before that time. In the case of the Cuttle Cart, I felt it didn't fit any of their categories when they announced the voting, so I didn't even expect to be nominated. I was suprised to see that I got as many or more nominations for publisher of the year as I did for homebrew of the year.

Chad