IGNORED

Intellivision TutorVision found w/games

Hi,

The reason for the crash is that early in on in the initialisation both games dive off to $24B0. This is one of approximately 50 addresses in the range $2000-2fff used by the games, and is where Joe believes the Tutorvision EXEC (the WBEXEC) is located.

The ECS also maps a ROM to this range, which might mean that the TutorVision is not compatible with it. It depends whether the paging of the WBEXEC is set up appropriately. For the curious. if you try to use the ECS ROM in place of the WBEXEC you get a green screen. The game does not cause the CPU to crash, but does nothing useful.

So, in order to play these games we will need the WBEXEC ROM dump and probably a small tweak to Jzintv to place it correctly in the memory map.

Looking forward to the next installment.

decle

• Like 8

This program should serve to dump the WBEXEC ROM if it's located at address $2000 and if it's compatible with LTO-Flash to load this program.

'
    ' Dump the Intellivision EXEC ROM
    ' by Oscar Toledo G.
    ' http://nanochess.org/
    '

'#base_address = $1000    ' Common EXEC address
    #base_address = $2000    ' WBEXEC address

main_loop:
    PRINT AT 0
    rows = 0
    WHILE rows < 12
    #c = #base_address
    GOSUB show_hex16

#c = PEEK(#base_address)
    #base_address = #base_address + 1
    GOSUB show_hex16

#c = PEEK(#base_address)
    GOSUB show_hex16

#c = PEEK(#base_address)
    GOSUB show_hex16
    rows = rows + 1
    WEND

WHILE cont.key = 12: WAIT: WEND
    WHILE cont.key <> 12: WAIT: WEND

GOTO main_loop

show_hex16:    PROCEDURE
    c = #c / 4096 AND 15
    GOSUB show_hex
    c = #c / 256 AND 15
    GOSUB show_hex
    c = #c / 16 AND 15
    GOSUB show_hex
    c = #c AND 15
    GOSUB show_hex
    PRINT 0
    END

show_hex:    PROCEDURE
    c = c + $10
    IF c > $19 THEN c = c + $07
    PRINT c * 8 + 7
    END

dumper.rom

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

The world book tutorvision system exec and grom were successfully dumped last night at Midwest gaming classic by Frank Palazzola. Joe Z. also came to the show and already has the 2 games working in an emulator :)

I streamed the dumping, I will post a link soon. Really cool to have this last piece of intellivision preserved!

• Like 6

The world book tutorvision system exec and grom were successfully dumped last night at Midwest gaming classic by Frank Palazzola. Joe Z. also came to the show and already has the 2 games working in an emulator :)

I streamed the dumping, I will post a link soon. Really cool to have this last piece of intellivision preserved!

Awesome! Very cool! Also, your avatar is funny as hell. ?

• Like 1

Nice. Can the data be stored on the ltoflash and read later?

It could, but it wasn't necessary. I wrote a small debugger stub that Frank used with his python-based tools to extract the ROM via the built-in serial cable.

As I mentioned to others here at the show, I have a reverse engineering document with lots of details in it that were gleaned not just from Chuck's system, but also SavannahLion's non-functional board mentioned here. That board may be part of my collection now. ;-)

Here's a literal snapshot of my schematic work-in-progress that's been cooking the last several days. I wanted to be sure there wouldn't be any gotchas when Frank was on Chuck's machine. We were doing our homework behind the scenes.

post-14113-0-09762100-1491713292_thumb.jpg

• Like 9

All indications are yes. There is 16-bit RAM from $200 - $4FF.

It appears no. This also means it is incompatible with some games.

With some of the 125 games?

Theoretically, could you take the Exec that was dumped, and populate a newly designed PCB and effectively produce more Tutorvisions? Or take existing Intellivision PCBS and install some new chips or RAM (forgive my terminology) and do it that way?

With some of the 125 games?

Theoretically, could you take the Exec that was dumped, and populate a newly designed PCB and effectively produce more Tutorvisions? Or take existing Intellivision PCBS and install some new chips or RAM (forgive my terminology) and do it that way?

This fpga project might be an option to make a Tutorvision.

http://atariage.com/forums/topic/262768-new-intellivision-console-and-flash-cart

Edit: and this http://atariage.com/forums/topic/264198-my-first-foray-into-vhdl

Joe, will you release your emulator that allows the Tutorvision games to be run?

Decle's modified jzintv might work. You'd still need the Revised EXec either way. Edited by mr_me

This fpga project might be an option to make a Tutorvision.

http://atariage.com/forums/topic/262768-new-intellivision-console-and-flash-cart/?do=findComment&comment=3733878

Decle's modified jzintv might work. You'd still need the Revised EXec either way.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Field-programmable_gate_array

Is there a standard one to use for this type of application.... or is there a ton of manufacturers of these.

Lemme just answer the question that everyone is wondering about....yes Rev already has 7 programmers working on Tuturvision games and yes, he does already have the box design art mocked up. :)

Ha, no. More curious than anything.

I'm sure any Tutorvision game could be remade from scratch for Intellivision anyway right?

But its all learning games right? We need a math shooter or spelling side scroller. :-)

Ha, no. More curious than anything.

I'm sure any Tutorvision game could be remade from scratch for Intellivision anyway right?

With a standard Intellivision you'd only get the small text on about 25% of the screen, or about three full lines of text.

Decle's modified jzintv might work. You'd still need the Revised EXec either way.

Do you know where I can download Decle's modified jzIntv?

I was hoping Joe would release his emulator since he already has it working. I am not asking for the new EXEC and GROM, just the emulator.

I was hoping Joe would release his emulator since he already has it working.

Calm down. I'm still at MGC. I won't be able to release anything until I'm back in California. It'll be a couple days.

decle's modified jzIntv won't cut it. Other changes are required. (Not many, but still.)

Edited by intvnut

Decle's modifications posted here. http://atariage.com/forums/topic/69242-intellivision-tutorvision-found-wgames/?p=3726433

I don't know if jzintv has to be modified to handle the larger exec. If tutorvision games need more ram, i was thinking it could be defined with a cfg file. Is there anything else different?

Edit: yes, just read intvnut's post

Edited by mr_me

Decle's modifications posted here. http://atariage.com/forums/topic/69242-intellivision-tutorvision-found-wgames/?p=3726433

I don't know if jzintv has to be modified to handle the larger exec. If tutorvision games need more ram, i was thinking it could be defined with a cfg file. Is there anything else different?

Hey Guys,

As I later described here, and as Joe says, these changes are not enough to do anything meaningful with the Tutorvision games. It is best just to be patient. Waiting for Joe, Frank and Stupus to get things sorted will ensure you don't waste time on pointless wild goose chases. After all, we've not been able to play these games for nearly 30 years, a little longer will not make any difference.

Cheers

decle

Edited by decle