IGNORED

Happy Birthday Nolan Bushnell!

Snider-man

If I could meet one famous person on the planet, it would be Nolan. He is awesome. I think he should be Bill Gates, but instead he is just remembered as the guy who should have been.

I wonder if he knows how many people love him? He (and Ralph) are the fathers, dreamers, and creators of so much of our digital world.

Happy Birthday Nolan. May you have many, many more.

Cassidy

quote:

Originally posted by Mario's Other Brother:

Happy Bday Nolan! I'm sure he is on AtariAge.

Speaking of birthdays: Is anything planned for the VCS itself? After all, October 2002 will mark 25 years of the vcs/2600 existence. A silver anniversary(!).

We have no evidence that Nolan has visited the site, although it certainly would be cool if he did. As for the 25th Anniversary of the 2600, we'll have to do something special.

..Al

Happy Birthday, sir! You done good.

I dont know, I wonder how interested he IS in Atari. I mean, yeah - he was the genesis of the whole thing, but he's also a businessman, and he moved on pretty early.

I'm not having a go or anything, I just don't know how interested he is any more.

Yeah, ive thought about it myself. Just cause one creates something loved by millions does not me he still loves it after it almost killing him. (if you read about it it says the stress was horrid on him) If he does manage to get here and read this I dont think we could ever thank him enough for his wonderfull invention (that goes for Baer too i suppose) Thanks Mr. Bushnell where ever you wander off to on the internet.

Atari was his only big success in business and he lost control of it in the sale to Warner.

You can bet Atari means a lot to him.

He's tried to capture lightning in a bottle again ever since, from Axlon to Sente and so on.

His current company is somewhat of an attempt to recreate the early days of Atari--it's a variation of a coinop company.

Uwink

I just wish the games were more action oriented...

CEC History

If you believe this history, Nolan used the profits to seed his other startups which, combined with the overall downturn in the coinop business, led to the insolvency of the company. Only after it was bought out by his major competitor did the company stabilize.

Nolan got a reputation for starting new companies and losing interest after a while and abandoning them when they still needed him. Atari was the first, although he was mostly a figurehead in the end as Chairman. The thrill for him is the startup phase, not the growing pains and ultimate corporate beaurocracy that follows. So some of his better ideas may have withered on the vine when he got distracted by the excitement of new projects.

uWink is his attempt to discipline himself by keeping himself exclusively engaged with a company for the long-term.

BTW, uWink (not so coincidentally) owns the re-appropriated intellectual property assets of Nolan's previous failed startup, PlayNet. PlayNet ended in a very messy manner as far as the participants getting out from under the various creditors...

In parts of Stella at 20 you can see the Atari veterans tinkering with a PlayNet terminal in the background.

[ 02-08-2002: Message edited by: Glenn Saunders ]

quote:

Originally posted by liveinabin:

What the hell was chuck e cheese anyway, as far as I understand it was a restaurant, yeah? but what kind (I figure cheese may be involved)

They're a big chain of restaurants that serve (mainly) pizza and have a large area devoted to all manner of coin-operated amusements. I haven't been to one in a long time, but wasn't terribly impressed back then. I have no idea what they're like now. I think the idea was to mix arcades and restaurants, as a place where the whole family could have dinner and play some games together. Judging by the ads I see on TV, this is still how they push it.

..Al