IGNORED

Atari told me to buzz off.....

Cassidy Nolen

Hi guys,

I have a story for you.

You know that game POLO that Carol Shaw did for the 2600? Well, I decided I wanted to own a copy for myself. As obsessive compulsive as I am, next thing you know, I have a burner, 50 donor carts, chips, Photoshop, you get the point.....all ready to make some carts for myself, friends and others.

This time, I decided to go it the legal way and actually try and get endorsed. I contacted Infogrames, got the number to corporate licensing, got the guy in charge, and talked to him. He asked me to email everything to him so he could have it reviewed. This was a month ago.

Today I get an email sayig "you cannot use the Atari name in any way, blah blah".

What a bunch of fooey. I was offering to pay royalty for the production of 50 copies. You would think the profit for them would be worth the trouble. The guy does not even know if they own the rights to the ROM code. Wierd.

Anyway, so now I am stuck. I have a bunch of Polo carts I was way excited to sell/trade and now I do not know what to do with them. The labels and all are perfect.

Do you think if I trade them for things it would be ok? I am not selling them, just getting things in exchange.

Interested on your thoughts..

polo1.jpg

Cassidy

[ 02-08-2002: Message edited by: Cassidy ]

It aint the money they were interested in.

I guess Infogrammes are putting a fair amount of effort into reinventing the Atari name and trying to make it a bit 'now' (with debatable success). I can't see them authorising use of the Atari name on anything 'retro' thats not being made by them. That name did cost them a load of money. Sure, they're gonna protect it.

I doubt Atari would really care, seeming as though they're NEVER in a million years going to sell Polo again. Besides, it's only 50 carts, it's not like you're selling thousands of them and making a fortune. As long as you sell them to break even or make a small profit (say $1 per cart) nobody is going to care.

Ian Primus

ian_primus@yahoo.com

Well,

The more I think about the conversation, he did not say I could not make the game, just that I could not say Atari on it.

Sooo..If I do change the logo and remove the name, I can sell them.

Ok, email me if you are interested. That way I will have some idea how many to finish up. Was thinking of some for the Philly show, too.

Cassidy

Copyright falls under 2 catagories one is the logo and name (fixed by ommiting that from your game. the other is intelectual property (which i do not know if infogrames purchased) That is not so easy. Anyway I would imagine that they would be present in phill(at least a rep of the company) and may take notice to you "selling" thier property so i would avoid doing that there, otherwise I doubt they would even take notice.

Ah leave the logo on it, don't change a thing! If you're gonna use the intellectual property, use the logo too. As I understand it, you're not really making any 'profit' on these are you? So whats the difference with you distributing these carts and the rest of us downloading roms from AA?? Go for it!

If Infogrames get ratty..well...I'm not too far from France - I can take em

A picture of my homebrew label should be there. If not, I posted a mirror of it on another site.

http://www.geocities.com/cassmandoo/polo1.jpg or http://www.geocities.com/ecamusements/polo1.jpg

I do not have the end label on the web, but it is the same quality. I even bought the font!

I am not making a fortune with these, I just would like to cover my costs. This is my first game production, and I would like to get back part of the setup costs, too.

Thanks for the support and interest on this one.

Cassidy

Maybe I could do another someday?

Its your hard work, **** Infogrames. They have already defiled the atari name with thier blasphemous 1982 inforgrames atari classic arcade machine. You are just a fan, who is making copies of a little known and forgotten game, so that more people can play it. If they want to actually legally press charges against you, Im no law genious, but ill have your back (class action against them for....well we will find some way to sue)

Infogrames is apparently starting to bully out the hobbyists. Look in the newsgroups (rec.games.video.classic I think) to see a post from Chris "Crackers" Cracknell about how he got a notice from Infogrames to stop selling his "My other computer is an Atari 2600" T-shirts.

Just think, we may have to change the name of this site to "www.verypopular70sgameconsoleage.com", and somehow creatively change all our Atari information to not use the logo. I really don't see why Infogrames/Atari is trying to kill the Atari legacy, I mean, you'd think it would be good publicity to have people running around, wearing T-shirts with your logo on it? I personally am planning on using that iron-on transfer stuff to make a "Have you played Atari today?" T-shirt. Can't a company see that it has fans, or at least, it does for now. I bought SplashDown for the PS2 because it was an Atari game, and it is very very very well written, and I certainly hope the Atari legacy will live on as such. Until Infogrames/Atari says otherwise, LONG LIVE ATARI!

(Gets off of soapbox)

Ian Primus

ian_primus@yahoo.com

quote:

Originally posted by osmeroid:

We could also send off a petition to Infrogrames, stating clearly what are intentions are and how we can razz them if they decide to get 'uppity' about it.

Show 'em the bird!

Best to let sleeping dogs lie. Especially in the case of corporate copyrights and legal entanglements...

Caution Stan